Audio Catalogs & Morita's Memorabilia

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Re: Audio Catalogs & Memorabilia

Postby jadis » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:37 pm

JAA wrote:
jadis wrote:
JAA wrote:Akala ko si Yamashita lang ang may hidden treasures, si Pat Morita din pala! :D

John, I think Yamashita and Morita may be related. :D :D Morita told me he has even more stuffs to unearth. But first, we have to find the MAP to his house. ( Rumors have it that the house is being presented as a fish breeding area, camouflaging its real contents, AUDIO GEARS). :D

Philip, one thing common with them is they both mastered the guerilla tactics! :D

I agree with you, John. Yun tipong 'strike anywhere...' :lol: :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby JAA » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:43 pm

Some more unearthings! I remember PM's FRs 64S and FR1 MK2 MC Cart, but we still need unwrap these stuff from original packaging! :rock:

Any pics?
JAA
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:51 pm

JAA wrote:Some more unearthings! I remember PM's FRs 64S and FR1 MK2 MC Cart, but we still need unwrap these stuff from original packaging! :rock:

Any pics?

I heard that he has those under wraps, so to speak. And I think very soon he will have them photographed by his 'official photographer'. 8)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby m_shoe_maker » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:40 pm

jadis wrote:Image

Rats! Can't seem to find my copy of the first (I think) TAS issue which featured the IRS. :@ Believe it or not, early TAS issues were like small pocket books, just black and white, and still credible 'coz of no or very few advertisements who give them payola during the later years. :devil: :D :devil: :D I think the front cover of that TAS issue was a drawing of the IRS with King Kong standing beside it. :D

Anyone who can take a picture of the cover of that classic TAS issue will be rewarded a free smiley from MSM. :clap: BTW, collectors scramble for this issue 'coz it has chick appeal. :devil:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby jadis » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:09 am

m_shoe_maker wrote:Rats! Can't seem to find my copy of the first (I think) TAS issue which featured the IRS. :@ Believe it or not, early TAS issues were like small pocket books, just black and white, and still credible 'coz of no or very few advertisements who give them payola during the later years. :devil: :D :devil: :D I think the front cover of that TAS issue was a drawing of the IRS with King Kong standing beside it. :D

Anyone who can take a picture of the cover of that classic TAS issue will be rewarded a free smiley from MSM. :clap: BTW, collectors scramble for this issue 'coz it has chick appeal. :devil:

That's true, MSM, those initial issues of TAS then were small, with flimsy paper covers that were just stapled together. I sold almost all my TAS long ago, but I still have the old Stereophile mags, which look just like the first few TAS issues. Here, it is, torn and drab and faded. :lol: From 1986:

I couldn't resist flipping a few pages of it and found some interesting ads:

Above, imagine audio cables named VAMPIRE !!! :devil: :devil: :devil:

A turntable which looks like a VPI record cleaner. :D :D

My venerable air bearing tonearm, the ET2, here, called the "STATE OF THE ARM". :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:23 pm

The first four issus of TAS dug out from the net. So the IRS King Kong cover may not be the first but I think it's on one of the first 10 issues. I hope to find a pic of that one day. It should be a classic.

Below, a TAS poster from one of its covers, called 'Fritz Reiner Conducts'. Pareho pa ang pangalan kay MSM. 8) :)

Below, another poster of a TAS cover, this one called 'Moses and the Tablets'. In those times, the Pro Ac Tablet mini monitors were very popular.

The unforgettable thing about these 2 above posters is that I ordered them from TAS itself and had it shipped via surface mail. It took 1 year for them to arrive to the P.I. :o :o They will have some collector's value as they have circumnavigated the globe. :D :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:47 pm

Consolidating the 'audio posters', here is the 'electrifying' B&W poster. :lol:

jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jundgman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:27 pm

just want to share these audio magazines of mine... :)

jundgman
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:04 pm

thanks for sharing, jundgman. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby mandym » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:29 am

Here's a couple I dug up. I have a few more.

mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:40 am

mandym wrote:Here's a couple I dug up. I have a few more.

Nice, Mang Mandy. First time for me to see these issues. Thanks for posting.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:46 am

The 'evolution' of Stereophile (the Magazine). :lol:

Left is the original small book with roundish bind on the left side of the mag (1984).

Middle is same size but with cornered bind (1986). I hope King Kong was not stepping on some 'monoblocks'. :D

Right is the the big sized format from the 90s till today (bigger ads, I suppose). :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:47 pm

Among my audio related things, none is more memorable than this piece of equipment, which I found in our old house virtually unused but showing the sign of age. It belonged to my late mother, who was a music lover like no other that I have known or seen in my young age. She collected records and cassette tapes, and would play music virtually all day in our house. While she kept buying new models of portable audio players, I believe she did not buy this and I imagine this was a gift of my late uncle who then was the distributor of Nivico products in the 60s.

It 'opens up'... :lol:

... into a mini-open reel tape player/recorder :)

Adjustable 'tape speed lever', pang half speed yata... :lol:

Talk about 'heavy duty' Rewind/FF levers...

And 'Stop' lever...mukhang matibay ang gawa... :lol:

Microphones hidden under a 'safety chamber' below the speakers...Sad to say, they are NOT 'Telefunkens' or 'Neumanns'... :lol:

jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:01 pm

In those times when China wasn't making anything, much less audio stuffs, the audio people of Taiwan were at the forefront of manufacturing affordable audio accessories. A good friend who frequents Taipeh gifted me 3 pcs of these which were supposed to be a poor man's sorbothane vibration damping feet. :lol:

Presenting, 'WONDA-PET:

I don't know how they got the English name but the Chinese words roughly mean 'startling and valuable device that has the power of the spirits'. :o :lol: All for a troika of vibration dampers. :D The hole at the 10 o'clock area, I was told, actually had a purpose in the design. I am not a physicist so I can't really relate. :lol: But, when I tested them under my DAC, I stopped laughing. They actually work, in a way that it altered the sound when placed under a component. I liked it enough to let it stay there for decades, but made the mistake of putting a VPI Brick on the front part, the result of which can be seen below, with the damper on the left now appearing 'shorter' than the others. :lol: In short, it was made only a certain weight limit. So now, it is just a 'memorabilia'. :D

jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Spectral » Fri May 07, 2010 5:58 pm

Hello Jadis!!!

How are things going? I just pondered over this thread again and can't help but laugh out at all those nostalgia stuff. Makes me feel like digging through my old stuff and read those antiquated brochures over and over again. hehehehe.... Maybe we can hook up sometime hey? talk about the late Great Mang Dima, Flory and the likes.... hehehe. And I'm sure you remember the first time all of us were introduced to the Jadis amps, remember? JA-30 vs. A.R. classic 60? hahahahaha. This you might not know but my girlfriend at that time dumped me because I chose to listen to the Jadis rather than spend time with her. hahahahaha!!!! I think that was when everybody shifted to Jadis amps right? Anyway just passing by visiting your sector.

Spectral
W.W.
Spectral
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Fri May 07, 2010 6:43 pm

Spectral wrote:Hello Jadis!!!
And I'm sure you remember the first time all of us were introduced to the Jadis amps, remember? JA-30 vs. A.R. classic 60? hahahahaha. This you might not know but my girlfriend at that time dumped me because I chose to listen to the Jadis rather than spend time with her. hahahahaha!!!! I think that was when everybody shifted to Jadis amps right? Anyway just passing by visiting your sector.

Spectral
W.W.

Hi Spectral,

Thanks for visiting the thread. Of course, who can forget the (in)famous shoot-out between the JA30 and the Classic60? Wow. That was like 20 years ago and I remember every bit of it. Entrance to the host's place entails passing through 5 or 6 un-leashed (but trained KUNO) German Shepherds, and 1 caged ROTTWEILER whose bark can wake the dead. :D And that shootout had 'hall of fame' judges in the like of organist/pianist Eric D. and our very own (passive) WS member Coltrane. Whew! They had written reports of the shootout and handed it to yours truly. :lol: And you recall 2 guys carrying a small McIntosh tube amp and they accidentally DROPPED it to the floor and a tube popped out??? And when the tube was put back in and the Mc played, I heard somebody uttered that the Mc 'now sounded even better!!!!' :D :D :D Those were the days. So, your gf then dumped you because you chose an audio shootout? That's a mark of a true audio hobbyist !!!!! Hahahah...Pain and Glory....They always go together. Thanks again for sharing, W. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Spectral » Fri May 07, 2010 10:57 pm

Oh yah!!! I remember the surprise that Mcintosh pulled off, it was rather good sounding(yah after that loud thud!). I could still remember the preamp was the famous Conrad Johnson Premier 3, a preamp that could still put to shame a lot of new designs. The British fidelity digilog D.A.C. That guy sure had a lot of gear huh??. Remember the time when the FM acoustics force lines were "the" cable to beat? MiT came out so strong at that time? hehehehe Names like Klyne audio, Fulton audio and Wilson used to produce LP's hahahahaha!!! saya noon!!!
Spectral
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Spectral » Fri May 07, 2010 11:05 pm

Oh by the way I think my handle was inspired by coltrane, he once owned such gear? SSY? hehehehehehe.
Spectral
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Sat May 08, 2010 7:35 am

Spectral wrote:Oh yah!!! I remember the surprise that Mcintosh pulled off, it was rather good sounding(yah after that loud thud!). I could still remember the preamp was the famous Conrad Johnson Premier 3, a preamp that could still put to shame a lot of new designs. The British fidelity digilog D.A.C. That guy sure had a lot of gear huh??. Remember the time when the FM acoustics force lines were "the" cable to beat? MiT came out so strong at that time? hehehehe Names like Klyne audio, Fulton audio and Wilson used to produce LP's hahahahaha!!! saya noon!!!

If I'm not mistaken, it the model 225 McIntosh. 25 sweet watts. It almost stole the show from the Jadis 30 and the ARC 30. :lol: The host has an incredible array of hi-fi equipment, prompting a close friend of his to call his place the 'Lyric Hi-fi' of the Philippines. :D Beveridge Speakers, Sound Lab, Quad, Maggies, Berning, CJ, some vintage open reel, Nakamichi cassette deck, Spica, Westlake Speakers, Linn, Koetsu, I forgot the rest. :lol: The man has the ideal life. Residence and factory in one compound, and he converted his big conference room into an audio museum. :lol:

MIT was THE cable brand at that time, thanks to HP. Citing the $115 a meter pair MIT330 as benchmark, the craze started. And I got one from a shop in Sausalito myself. :lol: FM Forcelines came next. Manny Huber came to town and talked to us about his designs. Bob Fulton recordings are legendary, so rare I cannot find one till now. :lol: And, you said it, 'ang saya noon'.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Sat May 08, 2010 7:37 am

Spectral wrote:Oh by the way I think my handle was inspired by coltrane, he once owned such gear? SSY? hehehehehehe.

Coltrane is RM. I met him first through Mang Dima. He has ARC gears.
jadis
Legend
Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Jadis' Corner