How can we further improve our Wiredstate Audio Community?

NEWS, Announcements, Greetings, Schedules, EBs, listening sessions, lectures, shoot-outs, field trips, gimmicks, etc. for WS members only...

Moderators: vintage_dog, audiostar

Postby ihatejazz » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:03 pm

Is it also possible to take out the "hidden" members that are logged in. What's the point in hiding your name and when you make a new post your name will appear anyway......right MSM???? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
ihatejazz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby m_shoe_maker » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:07 pm

ihatejazz wrote:Is it also possible to take out the "hidden" members that are logged in. What's the point in hiding your name and when you make a new post your name will appear anyway......right MSM???? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

De-hins :!: :twisted: "Hidden" rules :!: 8)

I say ban Benny :!: :twisted:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby ihatejazz » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:12 pm

m_shoe_maker wrote:
ihatejazz wrote:Is it also possible to take out the "hidden" members that are logged in. What's the point in hiding your name and when you make a new post your name will appear anyway......right MSM???? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Coward!

:twisted:
ihatejazz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby m_shoe_maker » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:14 pm

ihatejazz wrote:
m_shoe_maker wrote:

Coward!

:twisted:

No way, Jose. :evil:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby Audiogeek » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:18 pm

I don't know if this is the proper time and i am not speaking for all those who promote and sell their products through this forum. baka naman seguro, pwede silang mag contribute kahit kunting amount for the cost of maintaining the domain every year. so, pwede na ba P100.00 each per year. Seriously. No free ride. Palagay ko di naman gaano ka mahal ang domain, except if you upsize the capacity kasi lumalaki ang requirement ng WS.
Last edited by Audiogeek on Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Audiogeek
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby m_shoe_maker » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:20 pm

Audiogeek wrote:I don't know if this is the proper time and i am not speaking for all those who promote and sell their products through this forum. baka naman seguro, pwede silang mag contribute kahit kunting amount for the cost of maintaining the domain every year. so, pwede na ba P100.00 per year each? Seriously. No free ride.

Pay up, Benny :!:

Or else - U R banned :!: :twisted:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby Voltraizer » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:37 pm

Audiogeek wrote:I don't know if this is the proper time and i am not speaking for all those who promote and sell their products through this forum. baka naman seguro, pwede silang mag contribute kahit kunting amount for the cost of maintaining the domain every year. so, pwede na ba P100.00 each per year. Seriously. No free ride. Palagay ko di naman gaano ka mahal ang domain, except if you upsize the capacity kasi lumalaki ang requirement ng WS.

I say BAN MSM instead(not IHJna-madaming LP for sale), he is the one clogging WS with his "puro kalokohan" posts.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :shock:
His contribution as suggested by agk should be X 10 !!!!!! The rumour is true after all....MSM caused the temporary WS black-out!!!!!! :roll:
Back to lurking...he...he...he 8)
Voltraizer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ihatejazz » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:43 pm

m_shoe_maker wrote:
Audiogeek wrote:I don't know if this is the proper time and i am not speaking for all those who promote and sell their products through this forum. baka naman seguro, pwede silang mag contribute kahit kunting amount for the cost of maintaining the domain every year. so, pwede na ba P100.00 per year each? Seriously. No free ride.

dapat $100 a year! I'm willing to pay :)
ihatejazz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby m_shoe_maker » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:47 pm

ihatejazz wrote:
m_shoe_maker wrote:

dapat $100 a year! I'm willing to pay :)

Ayan, its on writing na. :twisted: Pay Up :!: Pay Up :!:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby m_shoe_maker » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:49 pm

Voltraizer wrote:I say BAN MSM instead(not IHJna-madaming LP for sale), he is the one clogging WS with his "puro kalokohan" posts.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :shock:
His contribution as suggested by agk should be X 10 !!!!!! The rumour is true after all....MSM caused the temporary WS black-out!!!!!! :roll:
Back to lurking...he...he...he 8)

De-hins :!: :evil:

My "puro kalokohan" posts add musicality to everyone's audio system. :twisted:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby vintage_dog » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:03 pm

Back in 1999, the forum that started in all was "Audio Asylum". It needed support for its servers, admin, etc. and had welcomed voluntary contributions from members. A few of us supported AA with cash and efforts. Hansen and I were early contributors then.

AA has now grown so big...thanks to its sponsors and member-contributors.

I've thought a few times about doing the same at WS , but didn't want to impose....but maybe, it's now the best time to re-consider...

Thanks to all for your encouragement and support...

Audio Asylum 1999 individual contributors of money, goods and time:
Sean Tom S Oakroot Jon Risch Anonymous Francis S
Hyperion Stephen Jack G MikeP Edp Rob Bertrando
Dave VH Rodney Gold Dave B Joe S Phil Sieg Michael Brinkman
Bob Wanamaker Allan Jones Daryl Rossi Jim Kain mikem Rob

http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl ... pport.html
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ihatejazz » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:32 pm

vintage_dog wrote:Back in 1999, the forum that started in all was "Audio Asylum". It needed support for its servers, admin, etc. and had welcomed voluntary contributions from members. A few of us supported AA with cash and efforts. Hansen and I were early contributors then.

AA has now grown so big...thanks to its sponsors and member-contributors.

I've thought a few times about doing the same at WS , but didn't want to impose....but maybe, it's now the best time to re-consider...

Thanks to all for your encouragement and support...

Audio Asylum 1999 individual contributors of money, goods and time:
Sean Tom S Oakroot Jon Risch Anonymous Francis S
Hyperion Stephen Jack G MikeP Edp Rob Bertrando
Dave VH Rodney Gold Dave B Joe S Phil Sieg Michael Brinkman
Bob Wanamaker Allan Jones Daryl Rossi Jim Kain mikem Rob

http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl ... pport.html

Francis,
WiredState has been very good to me, for me. Have met a lot of good people here who eventually become very close friends. May I have the honor to be the first member to be sent a bill. I will feel bad if this doesn't happen :)
ihatejazz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby m_shoe_maker » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:34 pm

Send a bill for $1,000,000.00. :twisted: Tapos, pag hatian among the members :twisted: :twisted: Pro-rata based on number of posts. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby ihatejazz » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:48 pm

m_shoe_maker wrote:Send a bill for $1,000,000.00. :twisted: Tapos, pag hatian among the members :twisted: :twisted: Pro-rata based on number of posts. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Fear not. You will also receive a bill of same amount :lol: :lol: :lol:
ihatejazz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby rlmaceda » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:25 pm

First let me say that I find WS to be a Wonderful Site. I've been quite active the past two months and I find that the format is simple and functional, the topics are current and interesting and the members are informed, decent and helpful. I myself hope to be able to contribute... maybe more than just by mere participation.

One feature that can be improved is the Search. People new to the site may want to search by 'member post' to learn more about the characters of community they've joined. In additon, it would be nice if one could search the titles only.

Members should also be encouraged to update their profiles. May I suggest that members maintain an inventory of their equipment. This can make it easier to seek out fellow owners. I imagine the information from such a database can be queried in a number of interesting ways.

Finally, I've noticed that a lot of the pictures from the older posts are gone, and so if we do contribute, and we are able to afford more storage and processing, maybe we can host our own photos. A lot of users have been posting pictures lately, this will surely help us maintain the integrity of the post.

MTC - Tato
rlmaceda
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Raf » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:18 am

Gents and Ladies,

Here is a writeup with a related thread:

http://wiredstate.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19412

Pleast post replies in the above link to the thread for non-OT purposes

People will always and forever perceive value and benefit in different ways. Our individual tastes, needs, wants, and resources make us als strikingly unique and that is the true key to to the dynamism and success of WS...a community of unique individuals drawn together by the quest for that certain sound.

Lately, a number of members have decided to make direct monetary contributions to share the considerable costs( directly related to this ever growing) forum with our revered and fondly regarded founder, Vintage Dog. Many of these voluntary contributors are simply hobbyists and avid enthusiasts who do not derive direct material or monetary benefit from the forum. Some contibutors are vendors who actually do engage in profitable transactions and utilize this forum as a means to trade goods for profit.

Speaking plainly for myself, I have long desired to share costs with VD as a member, not becasue he needs any sort help (he is wel able to personally pay for this forum many times over, believe me) but because I derive real value from this forum, I benefit.

Audio for me is a hobby..a hobby is defined simply an enjoyable activity that is not for profit.

Having said this, let me put a finer point...NOT FOR PROFIT is not the same thring as FREE. It has its costs, as we all know.

Another point point I would like to make is that the trader members of this forum, the sellers and vendors naturally endeavor to turn a profit on a transaction. As a citizen of a democratic republic that promotes free trade, as a Filipino, I will put forward to all here that: THERE IS NOTHING THAT IS WRONG WITH MAKING A PROFIT ON A TRANSACTION...thats just how it works. Wake up and smell the bacon. Making money is just fine, IMO.

So it is clear that WS means a lot of things to a lot of members. To plain hobbyists and to vendors. It is also the source of real relationships and friendships, a true network.

However I can confidently say that it is not for profit. I am sure that if VD ends up with excess cash from contributions, he would likely dedicate these funds to things like the HiFi show or other beneficial activities open to all in the forum.

I want to talk about costs and will do so from direct and ongoing experience but ony through my own irrelevantly small example.

I run 2 small and simple self manufactured websites, namely philridgebacks.com and rafdominguez.com (just in case some other similarly named bloke gets this name before me). These small websites have costs, annual and very real, but not really that expensive, IMO.

Like WS, I do not conduct e-commerce but I use these sites as a means to promote my much beloved hobby with dogs and to collect and communicate with contacts who have similar hobbies...almost the same goals as VD but on a much smaller scale...when I grow up, I wanne be like VD

The yearly costs I cover for this verysmall wesite of 25 Gig hosting space, a decent throughput for bandwidth, and my domain names, email, and protective software come out to maybe PhP 12-15k/year/.

To give you and idea, WS needs 500 Gigabytes of hosting space, and administratir and lord only knows what amount of bandwidth. plus the cost of software and administration with the value of VD's personal time, stress, and effort quantified into the final summation of total cost.

I've heard that some members are complaining about the proposed fees...even though they are voluntary....some evne suspect profiteering (as if profit -crime....hello!) here is my reply:

1. WS is not gmail, hotmail, or Ym, or friendster, or multiply, etc. It is not like any other healthily funded website with investors or gobal funding. VD is an individual only, a professional, and a gentleman...only twist here is that hes just an ultra enthusiastic hobbyist. Extreme.
2. Thus far, it is not for profit despite the .com appelation. Again, not for profit is not equal to Free.
3. If you can evaluate the value you derive versus the recommended financial support, I am sure that most will find the suggested (voluntary?) costs more then fair as against the monetary and qualitative benefits that all members derive.
3. Its only reasonable that we should all happily and proudly share without complaint because its not very nice to be a "free rider" and because most of us can afford it.
4. I will not seek extra rights or privilleges just becasue I cotributed

So perhaps, some members might want to list or describe how they benefit from WS in both tangible or intangible ways? Maybe this will help produce perspective on value for money?

Thanks!

Best to you all,

RAf
Raf
Fanatic
Fanatic

Location: If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you

Re: How can we further improve our Wiredstate Audio Community?

Postby jundai15 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:45 am

As far as navigating is concerned, even for a newbie is easy to navigate the forums, for me as being a lurker in wiredstate, i took the plunge and registered. :)
jundai15
Citizen
Citizen

Postby carbondated » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:17 am

Many of you will remember a time when we actually had audio discussions on WS -- if you look at the old posts they were heated but civilised. Once in a while a fight breaks out but the antagonists make up and life goes on. The last one seems to have left everyone walking on eggshells. Nowadays I check WS regularly so no one gets that elusive record before me. But yes, there was a time when we discussed audio, asked questions, and guided each other through our audio journeys.
carbondated
Citizen
Citizen

Postby sumnerbrowne » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:39 am

To answer the original question of this thread, here are some ideas:

1. Give all the members an idea of the range of voluntary money which could create some dent in helping maintain and improve the site. This is how Wikipedia, World Vision and UNICEF do it --- example, every Php 500 that you pledge can buy us enough supplies for a child at grade school level. So we know what we're targeting. Or with Wikipedia --- did you know that over xxx number of people use Wikipedia, if each of them can contribute $ 1 each of donation, this site can be improved more extensively or something to that effect.

2. Put in place a pay-per-view segment which would appeal to a newbie, mid-level, advance audio hobbyist searching for information. With Acoustic Guitar website and Rolling Stone, there is a segment that is open to virtually anyone. But if you want specialized info or the most dated info, you need to pay the $ 50 annual fee. Services that could be provided include:

a. a personalized/customized audiophile mentoring a'la Acoustic Guitar (i.e., Hi, I'm so and so...I will be your guide in your exciting analog journey. Let's start off with your questions...)
b. a customer demographic analysis a'la Amazon which can recommend artists and titles based on the purchases made by the customer
c. access to audiophile suppliers with ready answers and customized answers to virtually any question
d. free NOV HI-FI SHOW poster of choice from the 9 that shows that have been staged thus far
e. everything you wanted to know to set up a decent turntable set-up at specific price ranges
f. everything you wanted to know on starting and sustaining a vinyl collection without breaking the bank
g. everything you wanted to know on going the DIY route when setting up an audio system
h. everything you wanted to know on the different types of turntables
i. ask VAL anything segment
j. ask JADIS anything segment
k. best record reviews ever posted in WS segment

3. Charge graduated fees to those who breach specific number of posts; these fees can be token amounts with some freebies thrown in by the sellers of the site. Example, congratulations to our new CITIZEN/FANATIC with your 100th/1,000th post you get a free vinyl coaster/analog brand t-shirt if you donate Php 100/Php 1,000.
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby dimfer » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:02 pm

penalize WS members who do a lot of upgrades and do not post the same at "Member's Audio Setup" :geek:

on a serious note, the site can gain more traffic/awareness if there will be options to "LIKE" a thread so that it appear in Facebook.

Other site allow non member to get into the website without being logged in...
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to HEAR YE, HEAR YE