** Biking... (Road, Tri and/or Mountain) **

Photography, travel, watches, bikes, sports, cooking, books, etc...anything that keeps you busy other than audio... :-)

Moderator: audiostar

Re: ** Biking... (Road, Tri and/or Mountain) **

Postby usai » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:55 am

conspicuous wrote:Here's a shot taken by Pet Salvador of me and my Fuji D6 3.0 during the bike leg of the Tri United 1 triathlon at Subic last March 13, 2013:

Nice back Mael :clap: Ripped!
usai
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby conspicuous » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:59 pm

Thanks Jan! Weren't you at TU1 too?
conspicuous
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby usai » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:28 pm

No Mael, medyo malayo na and costly for me :( But joined Sipalay NAGT (Negros Occ.) - March 23 instead. My first standard distance :$
usai
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby conspicuous » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:48 am

usai wrote:No Mael, medyo malayo na and costly for me :( But joined Sipalay NAGT (Negros Occ.) - March 23 instead. My first standard distance :$

Wow, congrats! Standard distance is a great distance. Not too long but definitely challenging. Was the swim a single loop or 2? In TU1 in Subic it was 2 loops. 5i50 it's a point to point swim. :)
conspicuous
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby usai » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:46 am

Thanks Mael :D

Swim was 2 loops. I survived the swim with 40 mins. time :rofl: Bike - 1:17 and 58 min run :D

Next standard race will be Mango Man Triathlon, Guimaras - April 14 :clap:
usai
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby conspicuous » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:38 pm

usai wrote:Thanks Mael :D

Swim was 2 loops. I survived the swim with 40 mins. time :rofl: Bike - 1:17 and 58 min run :D

Next standard race will be Mango Man Triathlon, Guimaras - April 14 :clap:

Wow! That's really good! :clap: :clap: :clap: I say that because it's not far off from my time haha :rofl:
Mine was swim - 36mins, bike - 1:18 and run - 1:03 for 2:59 total time. I missed the 50-54 age group podium by 1 min! ;( However I don't mind since i had to stop and help out when i saw Mon Cruz on the ground dying about 2km from the finish line ;( ;( ;( None of us knew what to do except make him feel comfortable and i raised his head on his Nathan hydration bottles. But he looked unconscious already and gasping for air. Feels like it took forever for the medics to arrive! :@ He passed away shortly after that. ;(
conspicuous
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby usai » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:51 pm

:( :( :( You were there pala when it happened :( Rest in peace Mon.

Mael, 2:59 is a great time in your age group :clap: Pwede na pang 40-44 group (my group) :D
usai
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dimfer » Tue May 21, 2013 12:38 pm

can a road bike be successfully converted to a more upright/cruiser bike? I want to start biking more seriously for fitness sake but have to stick to more upright bike due to lower back & spine/neck issues.

I am considering buying a used road bike mainly because of weight - I have no choice but to hang it in my garage.

I have always owned a low end bike, and consider myself a bike illiterate.
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby alexarcilla » Tue May 21, 2013 8:42 pm

you can try inverting the handlebar stem to give you a more upright position when riding your bike. hope this help. 8)
alexarcilla

Postby rtsyrtsy » Thu May 23, 2013 8:49 am

dimfer wrote:can a road bike be successfully converted to a more upright/cruiser bike? I want to start biking more seriously for fitness sake but have to stick to more upright bike due to lower back & spine/neck issues.

I am considering buying a used road bike mainly because of weight - I have no choice but to hang it in my garage.

I have always owned a low end bike, and consider myself a bike illiterate.

Ding,

I would advise to go to a good bike shop for a good fitting.

Going upright may not necessarily mean good for your back if such bike does not fit. On the other hand, you may find that you may actually be comfortable in a properly fitted road racing bike!

Finding an independent fitter that is willing to work with you on a used bike may be tougher than finding a good bike shop that can set you up properly from the start. When you find such a shop, try their commuter bikes, touring bikes. I would not rule out a road racing bike that quickly as some brands have started designing for a more upright position (or riders like me with a relatively short torso). Scott CR1 for example has a so called "more relaxed riding position."

It is also possible that as Lance "EPO" Armstrong says, "it's not about the bike." Oftentimes, weak back muscles or a weak core or a lack of flexibility is the source of back pain.

http://www.active.com/cycling/Articles/How-to-Avoid-Lower-Back-Pain-While-Cycling
http://www.humankinetics.com/excerpts/excerpts/developed-back-muscles-prevent-cycling-injuries

I have a cycling nut friend in Alberta who may be able to help out. Might you want to be connected? Pareho kayong accountant!

Of course, you have the option of having a bike especially made and fitted personally just for you: www.ifbikes.com, Se7en, etc. These are some of the younger builders (but quite experienced). Perhaps you may want something from Signore Ernesto Colnago himself--before the legend starts building bicycles for the saints and angels in heaven.

I would advise against the custom route until you can have an intelligent discussion with the bike builder on:
- what sort of bicycle characteristics you want (do you want maximum road feel or a bike that absorbs road buzz, do you want a compliant ride or a stiff one?) and
- your most effective riding style (e.g. are you a masher or a spinner, do you pedal around corners, are you a sprinter or a climber or a bit of both?).
rtsyrtsy

Postby dimfer » Thu May 23, 2013 12:07 pm

thanks Russ for the inputs, I wish everybody who knows a thing about something is as generous as you when it comes to giving an advise :D

You are right, fitting should be a priority. I was at a bike store close to my office not too long ago but since it is their busy season, it is very difficult to get anybody to spend a lot of time with you. Perhaps I should try again during office hour para hindi sila masyadong busy.

I was looking at a used mountain bike, the owner is claiming that he rode it only about 10 times around the river valley and lent it to one of his staff who participated in a bike ride, then stored it for a few years. He said the bike is in excellent shape, he is 5'9" I am 5'10 and we have similar in seam.

I will definitely gather more info... I have a bike (yung nakasabit) to get me by
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby rtsyrtsy » Thu May 23, 2013 6:57 pm

dimfer wrote:thanks Russ for the inputs, I wish everybody who knows a thing about something is as generous as you when it comes to giving an advise :D

You are right, fitting should be a priority. I was at a bike store close to my office not too long ago but since it is their busy season, it is very difficult to get anybody to spend a lot of time with you. Perhaps I should try again during office hour para hindi sila masyadong busy.

I was looking at a used mountain bike, the owner is claiming that he rode it only about 10 times around the river valley and lent it to one of his staff who participated in a bike ride, then stored it for a few years. He said the bike is in excellent shape, he is 5'9" I am 5'10 and we have similar in seam.

I will definitely gather more info... I have a bike (yung nakasabit) to get me by

Ding, sisingilin kita ng tsibog when I finally visit Alberta! :-) Though this also means you can get payback from me when you visit Dubai sa dami ng tips na nakuha ko sa iyo.

Two people with exactly the same physical dimensions may need different bikes. This is because their strength levels can be different, their flexibility can be different, their riding style can be different, etc. Having the same physical dimensions is a decent start. But it is not the end all and be all of fit. This is why the industry has given room to dynamic fitting methods like Retul which measure you as you are pedaling, not as you are standing or sitting idle like many fitting regimes do.

Since you have an existing bike, I suggest you ride that and observe what you want to improve. Do you want something lighter to help you climb better if you live in a hilly area? Do you want something with better handling because you negotiate a lot of tricky turns? Do you want something that absorbs road imperfections if the roads in your area are not F1-ready? Do you want to get rid of pains in the back / neck / palm / knees, etc.? Answers to these questions would help a proper bike shop to set you up on a good ride.

Parang audio din ang cycling--you need to articulate what you want to improve to make your equipment purchases pay off.
rtsyrtsy

Postby dimfer » Fri May 24, 2013 1:59 pm

complicated ano? kain na lang tayo :lol:

I know this is not my first attempt to get a better bike. I went through the same a couple of years ago, ended up keeping my old bike after I replaced the stem and raised the handlebar.

Russ, looking forward to food tripping with you :D

on bike related topic, I was talking to my staff while they were punching out at 4pm, I noticed one of them was using a simple looking Giant road bike... ganun pala hitsura ng $3.5k bike, I would never know it is worth that much kung di nya sinabi sa akin kung magkano.
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

My 80th Anniversary Campagnolo Groupset

Postby alexarcilla » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:13 pm

8)
alexarcilla

Postby ITALIAN STALLION » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:00 pm

ITALIAN STALLION
Citizen
Citizen

Postby rtsyrtsy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:16 pm

@alexarcilla, congrats on the 80th anniv Campy! Ang pogi ng groupset! Please do share the entire build.

@Ding, the reason I ride is so that I can eat. Perhaps I am simply not smart enough to understand why but I know people who plan their eating so they can ride. Like a PLDT commercial once went, "kung saan ka masaya, susuportahan kita."

@raffyo, my pedal (the unusual Vista Magic X*) broke. I took it as a sign from the high heavens that it is time to upgrade. I went to my LBS where the enterprising staff explained my pedal's demise as my having too much power. :lol: Which lead to my question of how much power which in turn led to a Look-Polar Keo Power on display and more importantly, on sale.

With that, we shook hands, a deal was done, I got new pedals and I now know exactly how much power I do not have!

I've been putting myself to bed every night by reading Joe Friel's Training with Power. I still cannot make sense of all those squiggly lines on TrainingPeaks.com / Polar Pro Trainer. So any wisdom imparted will be greatly appreciated!

*Be entertained by the Magic X's science. Don't get me wrong though, it (together with a good fitting) was good while it lasted. I read it a couple of times but as mentioned, I am quite dim so I did not get it:

Vista's innovative pedal to optimize the efficiency of your pedalling and power.

The Magic X pedal is adapted to the human's morphology (thigh, leg, foot). A standard pedal does not take into account the thickness: of the foot, shoe, cleat or pedal in regard to its axle. To take into account all these parameters, the pressure area of the Vista pedal was lowered by the value of Y. The axle of the pedal is merged with the axle of the big toe for an optimum return. The pressure point (axle of the big toe) was increased by the value of X so that it is in advance (vertical crank) in regard to the axle of the crankset. Removal of the high and low break-even point. On a horizontal position, the front crank length has been increased by the value of X: Optimization of the active phase during pedaling. On a horizontal position, the rear crank length has been decreased by the value of X: Reduced time of return.

The lowered pedal platform allows for a drop of 10-15mm of seat height (depending on your original pedals/cleats). Lowered center of gravity, lower position overall to the wind, and large surface area to reduce or eliminate hot spots, that's the Vista advantage!
rtsyrtsy

Postby noctilux » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:06 am

It's alive!!! Muhahahaa .... (Evil laugh)
My new Black Beauty, the Pina Dogma Think2 65.1 BoB

After a number of arguments with my bike techs last year, i have since built my own bikes. Where's the fun in having someone else build your bike? :D :D :D
This took a number of days as I wanted to make sure everything was done right. I could only sneak in the work at night when the family's fast asleep. At the same time, I waited until the Cobra Ironman was over and done with.

I had wanted to use the black beauty last Sunday at QC circle for a test ride, but as we all know, the weather has been bad for most of us in Luzon  :(  :( :(
noctilux
Citizen
Citizen

Postby raffy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:28 am

Raf,

That is one s i c k bike dude. Looks fast even on a still shot. Bet with those zipps that bike ain't UCI legal. (sub 14 lbs)
Did you get the pina from Glenn / Primo ? She's perfect for Ambuklao!

See you on the next race bro!
raffy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby noctilux » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:36 am

Thanks Raf! If I can't be fast, might as well look fast. :D :D :D
I ordered this from a dealer in Turin, through a friend. I joined the first batch of orders in November but they made a mistake with color (Bianco Nero instead of BoB). My wait extended to another 3 months. It landed on my doorstep by end of July! It was worth the 8 months of waiting.
The dogma is not known to be a weight weenie so I'm still UCI legal at sub 15. In fact my Nago EPS is a bit lighter. Unfortunately my body is the one which needs to be weight weenie still :D :D :D
After Cobra, IM I think i need to let go of a road bike and save up for a TT, the headwind was terrible on the way home.
Game, let's do Ambuklao!

raffy wrote:Raf,

That is one s i c k bike dude. Looks fast even on a still shot. Bet with those zipps that bike ain't UCI legal. (sub 14 lbs)
Did you get the pina from Glenn / Primo ? She's perfect for Ambuklao!

See you on the next race bro!
Last edited by noctilux on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
noctilux
Citizen
Citizen

Postby rtsyrtsy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:11 pm

That is such a sweet ride, Noct!

And put together with your own hands--RESPECT for that.

Ride it in great health and I look forward to what magic you pull out of the hat for your TT bike!
rtsyrtsy

PreviousNext

Return to HOBBIES (non-Audio)