Turning on my power amp with my foot

Moderator: JackD201

Turning on my power amp with my foot

Postby Pause » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:50 am

I'm getting bored bending down and turning on my power amp several times a day, is it ok if I leave my amps power switch in the "on" position and connect it to an AVR and just turn on the AVR instead of reaching down and round back all the time? Of if not an avr at least a well made power strip, any comments or suggestions? :D TIA
Pause
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Turning on my power amp with my foot

Postby Jon Agner » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:14 pm

Problem is on the instant power surge, which can cause problems with some equipment.
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby dante » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:21 pm

My gear is connected to two separate power strips from which I control power to all my components (amps, TTs, etc). Powering on and off takes the flick of two switches on the power strips. No problems so far.
dante
cool dude

Postby qguy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:25 pm

if the switch on your power amp directly cuts the 220 volt line, leaving it on and turning on the amp via the AVR or power strip is ok, if its a switch which feeds a relay than you may encounter problems.
qguy
Master
Master

Postby dante » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:29 pm

qguy wrote:if the switch on your power amp directly cuts the 220 volt line, leaving it on and turning on the amp via the AVR or power strip is ok, if its a switch which feeds a relay than you may encounter problems.

How can you tell which is which Bro? I'm not a techie so forgive my ignorance.
dante
cool dude

Postby qguy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:46 pm

You have to open the amp and trace the power switch, if the switch leads to the power cord. your ok. If you hear a "tick" or there a delay once you power up the amp, I would not the do the power on from the AVR/ power strip.

dante wrote:
qguy wrote:if the switch on your power amp directly cuts the 220 volt line, leaving it on and turning on the amp via the AVR or power strip is ok, if its a switch which feeds a relay than you may encounter problems.

How can you tell which is which Bro? I'm not a techie so forgive my ignorance.
qguy
Master
Master

Postby JoeyGS » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:12 pm

qguy is correct. Most gears are equipped with power on delay circuits to provide protection to the circuit components. You will be able to identify this feature when in some cases you hear a "tick" after a few seconds after the swtich is turned on. Some would have a blinking or flickering light either in the switch or a separate light bulb right after the switch is turned on then follows a 'tick' sound.

If you leave the power switch on and let a power strip handle the power switching, the delay circuit may not work as it is left in the open position. With this, damage in the circuit components may occur or your are subjecting the components to power surges and may reduce the life of the circuit components.
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Pause » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:11 am

Thanks guys, my lazy ass thanks you too :D
Pause
Citizen
Citizen

Postby egay » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:07 am

Pause wrote:Thanks guys, my lazy ass thanks you too :D

You're real funny, Terry - kalako sinisipa mo na yun amp mo :rofl:

You're only 25 year old (again) and you're complaining about bending, etc? :?:
Bumili kana kasi nun may "Stand-by" at may remote
:rofl:

Enjoy!

.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby m_shoe_maker » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:57 pm

Turning ON your amp's power switch with your foot is ok as long as you do not have kachichas. :!: Kachichas will adversely affect the amp's sound-staging capabilities. :devil: Dead nails on your foot would also be detrimental to the amp's dynamics. :devil: :devil:
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby JackD201 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:46 am

.Make mental note. Bring baby wipes when buying second hand gear from Terry :P :P :P
JackD201
Immortal

Postby Spectral » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:31 am

Pause wrote:I'm getting bored bending down and turning on my power amp several times a day, is it ok if I leave my amps power switch in the "on" position and connect it to an AVR and just turn on the AVR instead of reaching down and round back all the time? Of if not an avr at least a well made power strip, any comments or suggestions? :D TIA

HAHAHA, you remind me of those obese people in the WALL-E movie.
Spectral
Citizen
Citizen

Return to Technical Archives