Let's Talk Digital

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

Postby Donlovejoy » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:51 pm

SofTcLiPpeR wrote

"Yes I have compared the sound of a single layered Stereo SACD from one which is multichannel ready or Hybrid. As I mentioned earlier I am inclined to like the single layered Stereo SACD's in my collection since the music I am getting from my Trivista stand alone SACD Stereo player has been very involving indeed. "

I agree with you SC, and like you i like the single layered Stereo SACDs.
Donlovejoy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby SoFtCliPpEr » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:25 pm

JackD201 wrote:If we were to factor in the current trends in the tech sector, what may very well be the future of audio is the hard disk. Hard Disks are becoming faster, smaller in size, and larger in capacity every year. ( see the evolution of the iPOD and their ilk) They have also become sturdier and a lot quieter. Microsoft has already announced support for a 24/192 filetype and broadband speeds are climbing as well. The killer is anybody with a computer will be able to just download hi-rez from the net the same way millions are doing now for the millions of AAC titles at the apple itunes store. As storage costs decrease so will the download fees. No more format war because the play out end will be open. My crystal ball foresees computers hooked up to a new generation of hi-end DACs. At Present my Powerbook via Protools is 24/96 recording and playback capable already and for "only" $450, inclusive of editing and mastering functionality. It may in fact bypass DVD-A, SACD, and Blue Ray for the simple reason that costs for the record companies will be so much less because they get to bypass the replication stage.

They all thought that Columbus was crazy when he said the world was round. :)

What you have just stated may well be the case in the very near future. However let's cross the bridge when we get there.

SC
SoFtCliPpEr

Postby Donlovejoy » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:51 pm

SoFtCliPpEr wrote:
JackD201 wrote:If we were to factor in the current trends in the tech sector, what may very well be the future of audio is the hard disk. Hard Disks are becoming faster, smaller in size, and larger in capacity every year. ( see the evolution of the iPOD and their ilk) They have also become sturdier and a lot quieter. Microsoft has already announced support for a 24/192 filetype and broadband speeds are climbing as well. The killer is anybody with a computer will be able to just download hi-rez from the net the same way millions are doing now for the millions of AAC titles at the apple itunes store. As storage costs decrease so will the download fees. No more format war because the play out end will be open. My crystal ball foresees computers hooked up to a new generation of hi-end DACs. At Present my Powerbook via Protools is 24/96 recording and playback capable already and for "only" $450, inclusive of editing and mastering functionality. It may in fact bypass DVD-A, SACD, and Blue Ray for the simple reason that costs for the record companies will be so much less because they get to bypass the replication stage.

They all thought that Columbus was crazy when he said the world was round. :)

What you have just stated may well be the case in the very near future. However let's cross the bridge when we get there.

SC

With regards to some DVD player/ recorder from Pioneer have built in Hardisk inside, also with some Yamaha CD players.
Donlovejoy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:46 pm

Alesis has had such a mastering recorder with proprietary 24/96 codec for at least 4 years. Too bad the disc can only be played using the same kind of player.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby SoFtCliPpEr » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:57 pm

Hello Digital Lovers,

Hehe our little intrusion into the world of analog was dealt with swifty. Hope they can treat off topic comments here in this thread with equal gung ho tactics. My comments were not even off topic for the subject was with regards to TICKS and POPS on analog.

Tsk Tsk it was really a revelation to see our distinguished "audiophiles" put a lid to freedom of expression when it comes to the defense of their beloved analog hehe. Anyhow nobody wants to be identified with an ugly wife eh?

Well for the record ticks and pops bothers me so I go DIGITAL. Interesting that T&P's don't bother some hehe some can't even hear it and see through the music LOL!
On the other hand DIGITAL is the image of our Creator, CLEAN and detailed sound is all you will hear. We read words and comments against digital such as "clinical" hehe, I sure hope none of these guys ever have to go under the knife in dirty unsterile conditions to avoid infections which would ultimately kill them eh? And what about "digititis" is there such an animal or condition in Discovery Channel?

However kudos to the likes of Audio Tyro, I Hate Jazz (Mr. Clearaudio :)) and jadis who are exemplary guardians of analog for their honesty in their comments. The others I dunno, am still on medication after reading what they have to say on Ticks and Pops.

SC
SoFtCliPpEr

Postby JackD201 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:12 pm

Careful with the "Take the name of our God in vain" there buddy, lest the Creator send some lightning through your mains and fry your Tri-Vista.

quote from SC "DIGITAL is the image of our Creator"
JackD201
Immortal

Postby jonas » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:50 pm

SoFtCliPpEr wrote:Hello Digital Lovers,

We read words and comments against digital such as "clinical" hehe, I sure hope none of these guys ever have to go under the knife in dirty unsterile conditions to avoid infections which would ultimately kill them eh?
SC

i dont think liking analog sound has anything to do with wanting an infection. it would require an inordinate amount of creativity to link the two together. the word clinical has to be taken into context. clinical sound being unalive and uninvolving. an infection is something everybody does not want whether you're into analog or digital. i just wonder why the DAC of my CD player keeps converting the clean digital signal into analog.
jonas
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Audiogeek » Tue Jan 25, 2005 2:02 pm

Anybody wants to fry and cook some LPs to hear the ticks and pops?
Audiogeek
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Donlovejoy » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:26 pm

At present this topic Let's talk Digital under General Audio has 187 Replies and 3853 views, this figures shows that there is a great number of Pinoydiophiles who Love to talk digital, I think its high time that this topic be elevated at the Special Interest (main topics like Technics TT, Dynaco, Etc.) or at Pinoydiophiles (General Audio, etc.), this would enable for newbies, and other digital enthusiast faster and easier access to digital talk.
Donlovejoy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ISKANDRIAN » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:45 pm

Donlovejoy wrote:At present this topic Let's talk Digital under General Audio has 187 Replies and 3853 views, this figures shows that there is a great number of Pinoydiophiles who Love to talk digital, I think its high time that this topic be elevated at the Special Interest (main topics like Technics TT, Dynaco, Etc.) or at Pinoydiophiles (General Audio, etc.), this would enable for newbies, and other digital enthusiast faster and easier access to digital talk.

bagohan lang ako dito at ng binasa ko ang buong thread, sa tingin ko ay hindi digital ang pinaguusapan dito. puro kantiyawan lamang at insultohan ang nababasa ko. puro insulto ng analog galing kay softclipper kaya nag rereact ang ibang members, kaya dumami ang replies and views. siguro pag may thread na simulan at lait laitin din ang vacuum tubes, marami rin sigurong hits and replies yun. magaspang magsalita ang nagsimula ng thread at parang walang kaibigan kaya maraming reactors
ISKANDRIAN

Postby Donlovejoy » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:41 am

ISKANDRIAN wrote:
Donlovejoy wrote:At present this topic Let's talk Digital under General Audio has 187 Replies and 3853 views, this figures shows that there is a great number of Pinoydiophiles who Love to talk digital, I think its high time that this topic be elevated at the Special Interest (main topics like Technics TT, Dynaco, Etc.) or at Pinoydiophiles (General Audio, etc.), this would enable for newbies, and other digital enthusiast faster and easier access to digital talk.

bagohan lang ako dito at ng binasa ko ang buong thread, sa tingin ko ay hindi digital ang pinaguusapan dito. puro kantiyawan lamang at insultohan ang nababasa ko. puro insulto ng analog galing kay softclipper kaya nag rereact ang ibang members, kaya dumami ang replies and views. siguro pag may thread na simulan at lait laitin din ang vacuum tubes, marami rin sigurong hits and replies yun. magaspang magsalita ang nagsimula ng thread at parang walang kaibigan kaya maraming reactors

Thanks for your honest view ISKANDRIAN. After what has been said and done I do hope that we could bring more pinoydiophiles to contribute and share their knowledge and talk digital.
Donlovejoy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Audiofile » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:27 am

I wonder if those who perpetually embraced and worshipped the analog don't have any cd, sacd or dvdaudio player. I doubt it. So, if it is possible, the Admin creates a new subject or thread for "Digital".
Audiofile

Postby Donlovejoy » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:48 am

Audiofile wrote:I wonder if those who perpetually embraced and worshipped the analog don't have any cd, sacd or dvdaudio player. I doubt it. So, if it is possible, the Admin creates a new subject or thread for "Digital".

That's precisely my point either the Administrator create a new main thread for "Digital" alongside General Audio,Analog, etc., or elevate this subject "Lets talk Digital" as one of the main subject alongside General Audio, Analog, etc. under Forum.
Donlovejoy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby iceman90a » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:50 am

the thing with Digital is its easy to use but hard to understand... I still cant get the concept of Oversampling, upsampling, etc...

maybe we should have a section for that :)
iceman90a
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby SoFtCliPpEr » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:37 pm

ISKANDRIAN wrote:

Thanks for reading the thread the insults you interpret can only be the TRUTH of the matter in today's musical scenario. People who react are those who find themselves left behind in technology. We can only try to revive them back to life by pointing out the ridiculous state they are in by prefering to listen to analog gear. At anyrate my views and opinions as I stated before are for the new breed and generation of audiophiles which I try to enlighten from disastrous expenditures in this hobby.

As Donlovejoy wished having a dedicated forum in WS on DIGITAL is blasphemy to many at this point of time for they are like the early chuch leaders of old afraid afraid to lose their flock to progress. They won't even give me the freedom of speech to debunk their ugly toys in their forums hehehe.

By the way for your info this is already the second thread I started on Digital the first one was errrr relocated by the "gods", however DIGITAL has it's followings and you are a living proof to it so partner read on salvation is near for you :)

SC
SoFtCliPpEr

Postby SoFtCliPpEr » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:40 pm

iceman90a wrote:the thing with Digital is its easy to use but hard to understand... I still cant get the concept of Oversampling, upsampling, etc...

maybe we should have a section for that :)

The answer is simpler than you might think pm me if you have a question.

SC
SoFtCliPpEr

Postby SoFtCliPpEr » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:45 pm

jonas wrote:

We read words and comments against digital such as "clinical" hehe, I sure hope none of these guys ever have to go under the knife in dirty unsterile conditions to avoid infections which would ultimately kill them eh?
SC

i dont think liking analog sound has anything to do with wanting an infection. it would require an inordinate amount of creativity to link the two together. the word clinical has to be taken into context. clinical sound being unalive and uninvolving. an infection is something everybody does not want whether you're into analog or digital. i just wonder why the DAC of my CD player keeps converting the clean digital signal into analog.

Of course you shouldn't think that way you could be labeled as one who is too literal in your treatment of what you read. Hehe anyway just fyi you belong to the "i dunno" group on that thread whom I can't figure out for sure what your motives were on Ticks and Pops except for your proud declaration of having a VPI record cleaner hehehe read on japorms!

I got a better one for you if ever "clinical" should pertain to accuracy and precision in timing certainly not unalive check out the dictionary for synonyms japorms hehehe.

SC
Last edited by SoFtCliPpEr on Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoFtCliPpEr

Postby SoFtCliPpEr » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:48 pm

JackD201 wrote:Careful with the "Take the name of our God in vain" there buddy, lest the Creator send some lightning through your mains and fry your Tri-Vista.

quote from SC "DIGITAL is the image of our Creator"

My suspicion was proven they are "biased" overthere at analog hihihihi!

SC
SoFtCliPpEr

Postby SoFtCliPpEr » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:55 pm

jonas wrote:

SC

Oh my God you mean to say you don't reliase that whatever sound coming out of your errrr"sonus fabers" are ANALOG no matter if it comes from a DIGITAL or analog source poor you.

SC
SoFtCliPpEr

Postby SoFtCliPpEr » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:00 pm

Audiogeek wrote:Anybody wants to fry and cook some LPs to hear the ticks and pops?

Too late an act of God took away all my LP's in a fire years ago. Don't worry I will make sure you get an invite on the next backyard turntable burning session hehe.

SC
SoFtCliPpEr

PreviousNext

Return to Digital