TRODT AUDIO

Mang Rod's audio creations...

Moderator: kabubi

Postby ESaudio » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:52 am

Thanks Skee for the invitation! T'was a great session for a small group but with lots of fun, sharing and lots of popcorn and pizza. What i enjoyed though is a can of beer with a strawberry-icing donut from Going Nuts. :roll: But you can go nuts with that new integ amp of yours stocked with cryo-treated quad of Svet-SED. Immediately after i entered your music room, i went straight to the amp. Looks gorgeous!!! And what's makes it pleasing and stimulating are the bass and treble controls. I enjoyed tweaking and making adjustments with the bass and treble in order to fine tune it with your new-born single-driver speaker (Fostex 166). Great job by Anthony. Maybe, i should have one of it one of these days! Congrats , Tony!

That sample montrous tube really look evil!!! But it will be singing in due time. :twisted:
ESaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ESaudio » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:02 pm

DELETED as double post.
Last edited by ESaudio on Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ESaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ESaudio » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:34 pm

DELETED by ESaudio as double post.
Last edited by ESaudio on Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ESaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby skeesix » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:11 pm

deleted
Last edited by skeesix on Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
skeesix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby skeesix » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:14 pm

From Right to left: Anthony, the master speaker builder, Mang Rod, the master tube audio creator, dashing Wirestate bachelor audiophiles, Buboy " Kabubi" and Atty Patrick "Esaudio" and moi. To the right of Anthony, is the cardboard box containing the massive monster tube of the next big project. :twisted: Great sharing and feedback from the masters and fellow WS members who grazed my humble lair. The Trodt push pull amp is now back with MR for some fine tunning. The speakers on the other hand are now powered by my Musika pre amp and Trodt TJ300b SET amps. It sounds like the bigger brother of my Omega Super 3s. :wink: Its sad we missed some other members. :(
skeesix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby skeesix » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:44 am

ESaudio wrote:Thanks Skee for the invitation. T'was a great evening of audio session for a small group with lots of fun sharing and eating popcorn and pizza. :roll:

That monstrous tube really look evil!!! But it will be singing in due time. :twisted:

Lets do it again when my speakers and amp are fully broken in. Perhaps, we can have the monster amp or your 2A3s to enjoy. I will make sure we have more beer with strawberry donuts :lol: The push pull is back and now attached to the Electro voice. It tends to overpower the single driver speakers of Anthony. :?
skeesix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ESaudio » Thu May 01, 2008 9:36 am

skee6 wrote:
ESaudio wrote:Thanks Skee for the invitation. T'was a great evening of audio session for a small group with lots of fun sharing and eating popcorn and pizza. :roll:

That monstrous tube really look evil!!! But it will be singing in due time. :twisted:

Lets do it again when my speakers and amp are fully broken in. Perhaps, we can have the monster amp or your 2A3s to enjoy. I will make sure we have more beer with strawberry donuts :lol: The push pull is back and now attached to the Electro voice. It tends to overpower the single driver speakers of Anthony. :?

LET'S DO IT!!!
ESaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby skeesix » Mon May 05, 2008 1:23 pm

The cat is finally out of the bag. Esaudio confirmed claiming a box of 6c33c b tubes. Wondering who will get the first amp. :? Per MR the tubes belongs to Patrick, Buboy and MR. MR said, he has a firm order for a SE monoblock and preamp. I would prefer a PSE , when the time comes :wink:

I tried rolling 12AT7s with 12AX7s on my TRODT push pull amp. I had to reduce the bias adjustments on all four power tubes, as it went up by approx. 3 units each. Is it safe to say the 12AX7 has a higher transconductance that the 12AT7? :? This is considering , the 12AT7s are NOS, while the 12AX7s are very old Mullards. :?
skeesix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby skeesix » Thu May 29, 2008 4:50 pm

Finally, MRs 6c33c mono block amps will be singing by this afternoon. One of the pair is already operational as of this AM when I drop by his place, to pick up an old AMX KT88 powered amp that was repaired. He altered the overall wiring to make it sound very much better. This amp has a selector for Triode, UL and Penthode. The owner who happens to be my boss was very happy with the improvement, and has decided it is a keeper after all.
Final delivery to the lucky owner of the devil amp is sometime next week. Kabubi and I hope to addition it this Saturday :) Per MR it sounds much better than the 845s he has created. :)
Patrick, then Buboy next in line :wink:
skeesix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ESaudio » Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

skeesix wrote:Finally, MRs 6c33c mono block amps will be singing by this afternoon. One of the pair is already operational as of this AM when I drop by his place, to pick up an old AMX KT88 powered amp that was repaired. He altered the overall wiring to make it sound very much better. This amp has a selector for Triode, UL and Penthode. The owner who happens to be my boss was very happy with the improvement, and has decided it is a keeper after all.
Final delivery to the lucky owner of the devil amp is sometime next week. Kabubi and I hope to addition it this Saturday :) Per MR it sounds much better than the 845s he has created. :)
Patrick, then Buboy next in line :wink:

Skee, i finally got the first crack in auditioning and listening to the latest devilish SET amp of Mang Rod this afternoon from 3 to 5 pm.

I have already taken photos of the newborn creatures and will post them under separate topic in a short while.
ESaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby kabubi » Thu May 29, 2008 11:35 pm

Jack was right about the tube. John Harper even calls it the "ultimate power triode."

From these pronouncements, a Filipino artisan has created what to me is the amp to end all amps.

The devil is unleashed. Armageddon is over. You'll just have to hear for yourself.

'Nuff said.

kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby dimfer » Thu May 29, 2008 11:43 pm

would it look like this :lol:

dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Fri May 30, 2008 2:35 am

kabubi wrote:[size=18]Jack was right about the tube. [/img]

Who me? I'm flattered but alas 'twas not I who first brought the triple nipples to our shores. The distinction goes to Eric Lim who first brought in BAT and to Epoy and the AA Boys for continuing the cause. Keith and I came much later with our Lamms (18wpc SET for Keith, 90wpc Push Pull for me) :twisted:

These tubes are indeed special in that they marry the attributes of many different tubes. So much so that they are in my opinion the Kings of full range microdynamics. Some DHTs may better them in some frequency bands but always with a power penalty. The key to the 6C33C-Bs is, I've been told by both Vladimir Lamm and Viktor Khomenko, the tranny. You'll OPTs with low turns ratios to make the most of the tube. Also, special tube sockets because these babies run HOT. Due to our lousy kuryente, you may also wanna make sure there are provisions in the circuit for plate fuses .

Get it right and you will pretty much have it all. :D

Congrats to Mang Rod for getting the job done!
JackD201
Immortal

Postby ESaudio » Fri May 30, 2008 6:19 pm

Tube Newbie wrote:would it look like this :lol:

NOP!!!

IT SIMPLY LOOKS LIKE THIS!!!

ESaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby bass_nut » Fri May 30, 2008 6:31 pm

simple and beautiful !!
bass_nut
Master
Master

Postby skeesix » Fri May 30, 2008 6:36 pm

ESaudio wrote:
Tube Newbie wrote:would it look like this :lol

NOP!!!

IT SIMPLY LOOKS LIKE THIS!!!

Those boxes on the background are the rest of the tubes. There are but ten left, unless Patrick has a warehouse somewhere :) Indeed those are special sockets that came with the tubes.
skeesix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Jon Agner » Fri May 30, 2008 6:38 pm

Put them on chromed chassis and they'll surely look menacing :D :D :D

I hope I get to listen to these babies :D
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby skeesix » Fri May 30, 2008 7:10 pm

Jon Agner wrote:Image

Put them on chromed chassis and they'll surely look menacing :D :D :D

I hope I get to listen to these babies :D

The owner of these babies also ordered a matching pre amp :)
skeesix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Re:

Postby stereophile » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:46 pm

novblue wrote: HA, HA, HA! bUBOY, I didn't know you are a poet. Mang Rod's creations, no doubt, deserve such monstrous commentaries. And I admire all the people who in one way or the other support Mang Rod's work. I have faith in Mang Rod's work and I am hoping, that with all your help, this could soon become our only contribution to the world market. Think. We are a very proud kind, but do we really have anything to be proud of, especially at the moment, if not the menacing dyips and trayks plying our streets...and of course, some new shiny finds like the cayins, shanlings, etc. etc...

I heard these amps for the first time in a friend's house yesterday. The owner of the house and I (including the other guests present) agreed that those amps improved the musicality and dynamics of the speakers they were hooked up to. It was impressive to say the least, more so when I saw that it was switchable on the fly between SET & push-pull modes! These are probably the only amps in production using these tubes which have this feature. It is indeed something to be proud of.
stereophile
vinyl junkie

Re: TRODT AUDIO

Postby kabubi » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:54 am

Hello Lito...Novblue...

i was surprised to read your posts in this forum. iilan lang kasi kaming nagpo-post dito, kami yung mga maiingay, yung mga diehard ni Mang Rod...so it was very heartwarming to read both your impressions.

like what benC explained to me, our excitement over Mang Rod's products is not so much our bias for the man, but moreso for our fierce pride and faith in what the Filipino can do. madami sila: si Rod, Andy Sevilla, si Ka Rene, mga tropang Set-up at Harana, si Lin Gomez, si Edrel, si Rolly Vicencio, Boyet Sy, si Mr X ng Cebu (ayon kay JackD), si ano at si ano pa. basta, marami sila at pinagmamalaki ko. kaya nga ganyan ang avatar ko e. sa kung anong dahilan, naugnay lang kami sa mamang taga-Conchu St, at simula noon, walang tigil ang aming paghanga at pagtangkilik sa mga likha niya.

everytime we take the new amps of Mang Rod out for a spin, we are always filled with apprehension. our hands tremble when we hook it up to a new or different system and the chance that the 6c33c's will go bust is always rife. but that's the way you learn, that 's the only way to improve.

this time around, what was hooked up to the rig of our F1 loveing friend was the 5th iteration of Rod's circuit design, but it is the best compared to its preceding prototypes. the Tannoys opened up and bloomed without the amp breaking a sweat and driven cold. the Sonus however was a mystery and left us scratching our heads. just a week ago, these SET/PP-switchable babies drove a pair of Quad Electrostats effortlessly, to think that the Quads need some muscle to sing. maybe we hooked them up wrong. babalikan namin uli yang mga Amator na yan. but for the Tannoys at least, five Vivaldi recordings were unequivocal in their verdict. but hey, dont take it from me, i'm a biased source. but you can always ask the guy who owns one of only 38 Lotus cars ever manufactured :D

we've completed the roadshows in Manila, next stop is the world stage. time to take it 12 time zones away :)
kabubi
Legend
Legend

PreviousNext

Return to >> TRODT/AVA Audio <<