GL70 - my last TT?

classic analog rigs Thorens, Garrard, Lenco, EMT, etc..

Moderators: setup1, setup2

GL70 - my last TT?

Postby Mamimili » Wed May 12, 2010 10:53 am

I assume this is the original plinth
a bit light weight, i will try it first before i add some weight / damping

Time to start cleaning, the power supply cap needs to be changed, i will probably rewire the arm and mains cables

I only purchased this TT for the arm. Why is it cheaper to buy a complete deck than just the arm??? The original plan was to keep the arm for my 88 and sell this deck.
But now i wonder if i should just keep it complete / stock and sell the unused Rega, Linn or Michell Mycro....
That would leave me with a TD124, Lenco 88 & 70 and the Bling Bling Ninja, enough i think :?:
Last edited by Mamimili on Wed May 12, 2010 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mamimili
Master
Master

Re: GL70 - my last TT?

Postby hypertriode » Wed May 12, 2010 11:35 am

never say never paul! :) ;)
hypertriode
Grand Master

Postby Mamimili » Wed May 12, 2010 11:54 am

hypertriode wrote:never say never paul! :) ;)

Hey Rene, i thought 8 TT's was more than enough and said i would go on a diet, but now i am up to 9. Too many!

I don't like the clunky headshell that came with the arm, any suggestions?
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby TheAnalogSource » Wed May 12, 2010 12:06 pm

i was about to ask if you got the original headshell...its clunky alright but it adds that character to the arm. this is one of the reason why even if i mount an FR arm to my l70, i havent changed anything else like the lifter and mounting hole ...so that later when im done with the arm overhaul...i will be able to put it back again. what you can do btw is add an adjusting plate inside so you can align the cart well with a protractor else you stuck with its fixed distance and orientation.

btw, take extra care when removing the tightening screw in the pivot. the bearings are housed in those screws...and if its a little damage... those small balls might fall off from the bearing base.

congrats on you new acquisition :) :) ....now time to look for the non-goldring.. lenco l70 ;) :)
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby Mamimili » Wed May 12, 2010 12:15 pm

TAS wrote:i was about to ask if you got the original headshell...its clunky alright but it adds that character to the arm. this is one of the reason why even if i mount an FR arm to my l70, i havent changed anything else like the lifter and mounting hole ...so that later when im done with the arm overhaul...i will be able to put it back again. what you can do btw is add an adjusting plate inside so you can align the cart well with a protractor else you stuck with its fixed distance and orientation.

btw, take extra care when removing the tightening screw in the pivot. the bearings are housed in those screws...and if its a little damage... those small balls might fall off from the bearing base.

congrats on you new acquisition :) :) ....now time to look for the non-goldring.. lenco l70 ;) :)

Cheers Noly, do FR arms "drop in" or do you need to modify?
The bearings / arm movement seems fine so i will leave well alone, coward that i am :D
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby TheAnalogSource » Wed May 12, 2010 1:04 pm

Mamimili wrote:

The bearings / arm movement seems fine so i will leave well alone, coward that i am :D

the FR post is a few mil wider as well as should be a few mil farther...
on the first issue, i rebore the plinth to accomodate the arm...anyway the lenco arm has a sleeve which will cover the bigger hole later on.
on the 2nd issue, i compensate the diff in distance with a shorter effective length without any physical change except moving the cart a little to the back of the headshell.
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby Mamimili » Wed May 12, 2010 1:28 pm

TAS wrote:
Mamimili wrote:

the FR post is a few mil wider as well as should be a few mil farther...
on the first issue, i rebore the plinth to accomodate the arm...anyway the lenco arm has a sleeve which will cover the bigger hole later on.
on the 2nd issue, i compensate the diff in distance with a shorter effective length without any physical change except moving the cart a little to the back of the headshell.

Thanks!
I am leaning towards keeping the 70 stock, i have enough to do with the 88 which still needs a stereo arm
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby Superman » Wed May 12, 2010 1:47 pm

CONGRATULATIONS, Paul! Nice new acquisition!

Hope to "hear" this new toy in July, will be in KL/Genting. Thanks! :D
Superman
Master Showman

Postby Mamimili » Wed May 12, 2010 5:16 pm

Superman wrote:CONGRATULATIONS, Paul! Nice new acquisition!

Hope to "hear" this new toy in July, will be in KL/Genting. Thanks! :D

Cheers Jen, it's been at my father's in the UK for about a year waiting for me to visit and collect :D
One of these days i will fail to get through airport security! This trip had the Lenco, a steering wheel, a steering wheel boss, and a vintage sprung Brooks saddle which all added up to 25 kilo hand luggage :lol:

I had to leave a pair of Goodmans Trebax horns behind though, no space in my bag!

July sounds good, local food goes well with wine or beer
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby audiostar » Wed May 12, 2010 5:32 pm

Congrats Paul. When can we hear this baby sing??? :)
audiostar

Location: audio nirvana st., speakers corner ave. music city, mars

Postby Mamimili » Wed May 12, 2010 5:48 pm

audiostar wrote:Congrats Paul. When can we hear this baby sing??? :)

Next time you are in KL Val.....
To be honest i am not sure if i will keep it in KL (ran out of space), bring it to Manila (will not get enough use).
I really need to face reality and dispose of at least 6 TT's. Holding me back is the thought of a retirement music room and the trouble i took finding some of these vintage tables.
All i am sure of is that the Lenco 88, TD124 and SL1200 are keepers.
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby audiostar » Wed May 12, 2010 5:50 pm

Mamimili wrote:
audiostar wrote:Congrats Paul. When can we hear this baby sing??? :)

Next time you are in KL Val.....
To be honest i am not sure if i will keep it in KL (ran out of space), bring it to Manila (will not get enough use).
I really need to face reality and dispose of at least 6 TT's. Holding me back is the thought of a retirement music room and the trouble i took finding some of these vintage tables.
All i am sure of is that the Lenco 88, TD124 and SL1200 are keepers.

You'd find a solution soon Paul and it'll be for the better (keeping all of them :lol:)
audiostar

Location: audio nirvana st., speakers corner ave. music city, mars

Postby Mamimili » Wed May 12, 2010 6:00 pm

Ha! I keep thinking that others could enjoy what i am not using.
I know i will keep the above 3 TT's, i will keep my tape deck (unless i can find an Akai Pro 1000) for which a tube preamp is on the list of must haves, i will only keep the Minima's as horns are on the retirement list.....i am waffling again :$
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby setup1 » Mon May 17, 2010 9:51 am

Hey Paul,

Very nice looking GL70!

This is my favorite Lenco model because of the higher mass tonearm which is better suited to my preferred lower compliance cartridges. IMO it should be maintained in stock form. When I got my first L70/B60 I used it in its original base for months (sounds better w/o the spring suspension) and built a heavier (bigger) plinth just to see how the original tonearm stacks up to modern equivalents. To my ears, just different not necessarily better......

Happy listening!

PS: if you decide to rewire the signal cable, just do it from the terminals under the chassis. The tonearm mechanism is not complex but tricky to disassemble, as an initial step the springs (for VTF) have to be disabled and you have to be careful not to lose the tiny ball bearings for vertical movement. Lenco Lovers had a tutorial on how to service the arm before it went to heaven. ;)
setup1
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Mamimili » Mon May 17, 2010 10:47 am

setup1 wrote:Hey Paul,

Very nice looking GL70!

This is my favorite Lenco model because of the higher mass tonearm which is better suited to my preferred lower compliance cartridges. IMO it should be maintained in stock form. When I got my first L70/B60 I used it in its original base for months (sounds better w/o the spring suspension) and built a heavier (bigger) plinth just to see how the original tonearm stacks up to modern equivalents. To my ears, just different not necessarily better......

Happy listening!
Cheers Joseph, i am thing of using a 2mm steel plate to replace the pegboard, after drilling some cooling air flow holes. As i have not made any progress with the 88's plinth, the 70 should be in service first. One possibility is a small and simple system, the 70, an unused Sony reciever that deserves to be used and Sf Minima's as they all "match" (as in wood and leatherette :lol: )

PS: if you decide to rewire the signal cable, just do it from the terminals under the chassis. The tonearm mechanism is not complex but tricky to disassemble, as an initial step the springs (for VTF) have to be disabled and you have to be careful not to lose the tiny ball bearings for vertical movement. Lenco Lovers had a tutorial on how to service the arm before it went to heaven. ;)

Twice warned thanks to Noly and yourself, and well noted (you should have seen my face the first time i opened up a BMW power window switch as tiny BB's went flying in all directions).
Both cables from the chassis terminals are zip cord, so will be replaced. Perhaps i will fit some rear terminals or most likely use some left over Vdh tonearm wire.
Mamimili
Master
Master

Return to IDLER TURNTABLES