Shure V15VxMR or a Denon DL 103R?

Moderator: stereophile

Postby brubeck » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:45 pm

yup, read also about that berylium issue but it seems more like a business decision for shure. market for high end mm carts are being taken away by killer mid priced mc like 103s.

koetsu :shock: maybe after the kids graduate :lol:

have noted other cart recommendations posted and will do some research over the net. let my fingers do the listening :lol:

looking forward to the tt seminar and doc's v15s and m447s. as they say, hearing is beleiving :wink:

thanks guys. ilang tulog na lang ba till the hi-fi show?
brubeck
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:39 pm

Shure's long time rival in the battle for market share of the premium MM world has a new product range the Ortofon 2M.

These come in 4 models Red, Blue, Bronze and Black. The Blue is priced against the 97 while the Black, with its nude Shibata Stylus is positioned where the 15 once was.

Also jumping in the Fray for SL-1200 audiophile play is KAB with the KAB Ortofon Pro S40 a frankensteinish combination of a Concorde Pro body with a premium OM40 stylus. I have 3 Concorde Pro bodies. I just might order an OM40 stylus to make one myself. I'll let you guys know when it happens and also what the results will be.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby brubeck » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:43 pm

that would be another nice option jackd. ortofons with integrated heashells :D i think shure has an answer to this, whitelabel?

how does the concorde pro sound with the stock stylus? do we have a local distributor/dealer? do share your findings when you've made the switch to the premium stylus.
brubeck
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:22 pm

Hi TA with the stock Nightclub stylus the sound is not what I would call refined or extended. Definitely not audiophile sounding. While neutral overall, It has a get up and go propulsive character that is pegged on the lower midrange and very quick bass. The OM40 stylus being much smaller should be able to retrieve the dullish top end. The White Label is voiced sort of with a V shaped equalizer. The only problem is that the OM40 stylus is in itself hideously expensive at over $250. Thats the price of an Ortofon 2M Blue already.

I'll let you guys know through my cart thread in the review section whichever route I take.

In the meantime, Happy Hunting :D
JackD201
Immortal

Postby troporobo » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:34 am

JackD201 wrote:Shure's long time rival in the battle for market share of the premium MM world has a new product range the Ortofon 2M

Hey Jack - have you heard any of these new carts, or come across any reports? I like Ortofons in general and been eyeing up the Black (FG stylus) versus the 540 Mk II (also an FG stylus) but have not yet seen any comparisons. I would be very interested in what people think of the two, given the $300 price difference
troporobo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby brubeck » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:00 am

as good as a design those integrated headshells are, it has it's limitations once you upgrade to an arm sans removable headshell. but ganda talaga porma of those stereohedrons/kab ortofon pro series.

seems i now have a third brand to consider :D
brubeck
Citizen
Citizen

Previous

Return to TECHNICS TT