ST35

Re: ST35

Postby dannyb » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:56 pm

hypertriode wrote:
you bet dannyb! i just got a call from a WS lurker to snatch the one at Balikbayan Handicrafts for him :)

this was the tube amp i considered when i wanted to go into tubes on a budget a long time back

anyone tried triode connection on the st35 or sca35 ala VTL tiny triode :)
dannyb
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Raf » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:55 pm

dannyb wrote:
hypertriode wrote:
you bet dannyb! i just got a call from a WS lurker to snatch the one at Balikbayan Handicrafts for him :)

this was the tube amp i considered when i wanted to go into tubes on a budget a long time back

I wonder what wattage you will get with this setup...
Raf
Fanatic
Fanatic

Location: If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you

Postby dannyb » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:59 pm

Raf wrote:
dannyb wrote:
hypertriode wrote:

I wonder what wattage you will get with this setup...

maybe 9 watts connected to a single driver open baffle speaker this should in all likelihood sound fantastic :)
dannyb
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Raf » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:01 pm

If I had an extra st35, I'd try it out :) Especially because, I don't own a SET amp :)
Raf
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby joe3rp » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:45 pm

Raf,
I also like the ST35.
I first heard it driving a Bruce Edgar Horn ( in las vegas in Jack Eliano's Home) about 5 years ago. These are very hi-efficiency Horn speakers. Then I've heard it many time after. I found it to sound very different from past rivoed st70 and present rivoed mk3. I would say it the best sounding dynaco amp - however it needs a good pair of hi-eff speaker :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

I wonder who makes em? :x
joe3rp
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Raf » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:59 pm

joe3rp wrote:Raf,
I also like the ST35.
I first heard it driving a Bruce Edgar Horn ( in las vegas in Jack Eliano's Home) about 5 years ago. These are very hi-efficiency Horn speakers. Then I've heard it many time after. I found it to sound very different from past rivoed st70 and present rivoed mk3. I would say it the best sounding dynaco amp - however it needs a good pair of hi-eff speaker :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

Its christmas time...theres no need to be afraid...to give things away :) :)

Honestly, though, my st35 is stock and I really have a big soft spot for such a small amp :)
Raf
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby joe3rp » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:32 pm

Raf wrote:
joe3rp wrote:Raf,
I also like the ST35.

Its christmas time...theres no need to be afraid...to give things away :) :)

Honestly, though, my st35 is stock and I really have a big soft spot for such a small amp :)

All the st35 I've heard were STOCK ...even the Jack Elliano (Electra-print transformer) owned in vegas was stock. I liked it very much. I guess it was like the old Bedini 2020 class a amp...it was really good...then when they made a bigger/higher powered version it sounded different. Even the original 20 watts class A Krells/ML or even NAD 3020(?) when they went higher power there was something lost? again IMHO lang po :?:
Last edited by joe3rp on Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
joe3rp
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Raf » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:50 pm

joe3rp wrote:All the st35 I've heard were STOCK ...even the Jack Elliano (Electra-print transformer) owned in vegas was stock. I liked it very much. I guess it was like the old Bedini 2020 class a amp...it was really good...then when they made a bigger/higher powered version it sounded different. Event the original 20 watts class A Krells/ML or even NAD 3020(?) when they went higher power there was something lost? again IMHO lang po :?:

I'm not knowledgeable enough to discuss the wattage vs quality angle. From experience, there is something very musical about this 17 watt/channel jewel...glad to know that you and others share my appreciation :) :)
Raf
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby setup1 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:44 pm

joe3rp wrote:All the st35 I've heard were STOCK ...even the Jack Elliano (Electra-print transformer) owned in vegas was stock. I liked it very much. I guess it was like the old Bedini 2020 class a amp...it was really good...then when they made a bigger/higher powered version it sounded different. Event the original 20 watts class A Krells/ML or even NAD 3020(?) when they went higher power there was something lost? again IMHO lang po :?:

Basically you are saying it is the quality of watts not quantity! The EL84 tube is probably the most linear of all pentodes, easy to drive therefore simpler input/driver circuit and the required transformer is small and easier to design for wide bandwidth. However we are limited to 10-15W in PP depending on operating points. For greater power, one needs a bigger pentode or tetrode/transformer and more complex circuitry. Thus quality can or may suffer. Back in college I used an NAD 3020 and I agree, it was the best amp that company ever produced. I'm not adept with solid state circuitry but surmise that in order to get more power the circuit also becomes more complex.

Prior to getting into DIY/SET/Hi-Eff, I built up a collection of PP EL84 amps - Acro 20/20, Dyna ST35, Leak 20 and Pilot SA232. They all sounded glorious driving LS35As or Quad ESL57s. I briefly owned a Citation II but it didn't sound as dynamic or musical as these tiny critters. Eventually I unloaded all of them to finance acquisition of Altec drivers/horns, DHTs and Tango/Tamura transformers. This time the first watt counts!

je
setup1
Citizen
Citizen

Previous

Return to DYNACO