Odaey's LS3/5As

Postby ichabod » Mon May 28, 2007 8:20 am

Yup, I have some dream list of my own too. THe AP55 from SC would be one. MOno amps and they're rare and sell high too on ebay. How about ampex amps, any experience with them? There's one that Dan Hayes of Washington own and I wonder if Dan had the amp going? Maybe we can hear from him. It's similar to the size of the pilot but uses another tube.
POsting any amp anyway with the LS should widen the variety of amps that can match with the LS.
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Mon May 28, 2007 9:49 am

odaey wrote:It would benefit from the workout with you as it gets less playing time with me. I believe it's having a time of it's life since this is the only chance to have his cones massaged by the purest watts of a marantz 8. The rest of it's blood brothers with me will just have to contend themselves with a marantz 8 wannabe (pilot sa-260).

Any new observations with regards to the team-up?

these speakers totally disappear in my listening room. fired it up with joel (setup2) yesterday driven by the newly restored td124/morch on joey's shindo look-alike plinth. ;-)

very musical, dynamic and full of body without the boom...

glad to baby sit this pair. works wonders with the 8... do dropby anytime you're in the area.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Tubedude » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:39 am

ichabod wrote:Yup, I have some dream list of my own too. THe AP55 from SC would be one. MOno amps and they're rare and sell high too on ebay. How about ampex amps, any experience with them? There's one that Dan Hayes of Washington own and I wonder if Dan had the amp going? Maybe we can hear from him. It's similar to the size of the pilot but uses another tube.
POsting any amp anyway with the LS should widen the variety of amps that can match with the LS.

Please visit our friend and take the AMPEX amp. It needs breaking in after rebuild, I don't need it until October. Anyway it was your idea in the frist place...Regards Dan :wink:
Tubedude
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Tubedude » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:52 am

odaey wrote:Yes, the fisher 400cx2 preamp together with the pilot 216 has been on my wish list for quite some time now. I was dreaming of teaming either of them up with my small tube based cabinet system consisting of a scott 350b tuner, an eico hf-85 preamp and a pilot 232. It would seem practical to use the pilot 232 in a cabinet system since it gives off less heat, small size and its auto bias. That's how it started it's life anyway since my 232 was pulled out of a stereo console.

I still remember your advice about the fisher 400 series preamps but they're not easy to find and not cheap :(

Scott 350B, Eico HF-85 and a Pilot SA232, WOW what a clasic combo for the LS3/5A. Very nice indeed.
Tubedude
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ichabod » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:50 pm

Dan, so you sent the amp to Cebu. A Pilot SA232 look a like this ampex. Our friend is mum about it. All seem busy pursuing our own little big things. See YOU summer next year. Once a year get together listening, not bad! I'm off to Siquijor this week. Hopefully some nice shots to bring back home. Ah! Those beaches in bleach white. You should visit it and go scuba at Apo Island.
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Tubedude » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:21 pm

ichabod wrote:Dan, so you sent the amp to Cebu. A Pilot SA232 look a like this ampex. Our friend is mum about it. All seem busy pursuing our own little big things. See YOU summer next year. Once a year get together listening, not bad! I'm off to Siquijor this week. Hopefully some nice shots to bring back home. Ah! Those beaches in bleach white. You should visit it and go scuba at Apo Island.

Yep, I'm looking forward to visiting you all again this October.
The amp should be repaired now please use it until I arrive. Let me know what you think of it with your LS please.
Perhaps you and I can visit Siquijor sometime. I do plan to dive Apo this trip spending a few days in Dumaguete to do so.
Am enjoying the Harbeth LS3/5A with the Eico HF-60 using KT-77 tubes. Much better than EL-34's IMO.
Tubedude
Citizen
Citizen

Postby odaey » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:16 pm

Ichabod,

My experience and knowledge regarding vintage gear is still in shallow waters and limited to the more ubiqiutous kinds. The stromberg-carlson and ampex amps i have yet to hear. You're lucky you have one but i'll take your word for it on how it sounds.

Tubedude,

Actually The eico hf-85 needs some work. It's been on Hypertriode's workbench for about 5 yrs now and i cant decide on whether to restore or to max it out. I like it's phono section. really pleasing to my ears. I also like the looks of the scott 350B, aside from the change in the face of the 350c i can't tell the difference. You can really feel the warmth of voices when listening to valve tuners.

I'll try to post some pics when my cabinet system is back in service.

cheers,
odaey
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:07 am

Tubedude wrote:
Am enjoying the Harbeth LS3/5A with the Eico HF-60 using KT-77 tubes. Much better than EL-34's IMO.

my HF60s need a work-out! dan, where did you get those kt77s?
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Tubedude » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:22 am

vintage_dog wrote:my HF60s need a work-out! dan, where did you get those kt77s?

The new JJ KT-77 has had quality problems with small diameter pens and envelopes not perpendicular to the base. The pen problem has now been fixed.
I got my quad from “The Tube Depot”. I can get dealer prices on tubes but The Tube Depot beats my price slightly in this case. That quad had one tube envelope at a slight angle (~5deg) to its base.
The JJ KT-77 sound in my Dynaco MK IV’s and Eico HF 60’s is sweet clear tight and extended. I have compared this tube to old Mullards, Telefunken and vintage TESLA EL-34’s via Harbeth LS3/5A’s in my system. To my ears the new JJ is as good or better than any of those vintage tubes using the LS speaker. Each tube has its good points and bad, overall the JJ is my choice. I set bias stock (50mA) in the Dynaco and at 60mA in the Eico.
Once I have time I plan to modify the HF-60 to utilize KT-88’s. A friend, Mike Samra has been helpful is showing me the simple modification for this change. The Acrosound 330 is a fantastic match for KT-88 tubes. I have several quads of this tube type to play around with.
Tubedude
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ichabod » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:11 pm

We cancelled our trip to Siquijor. Instead we went to Bantayan Island.
Lucky we had clear weather. Shooting was an absolute delight.

Yup Dan, you can go diving while I can do my photography in Apo. Fantastic for divers I've heard. Been there once. Nice place to unwind. Another Island off Bohol or Panglao is Balicasag. Very popular dive point. Been there only once but never went under. I'm only a shooter not a diver!

Ya I'd like to take that ampex home and listen to it. Will contact your treasure keeper! Odaey everyone of us gets bitten by some vintage sound that never goes away I guess once heard. The HF 85's a good preamp. Lively and spirited. Don't wait too long. Get it working.
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

JR149 found

Postby pigdog » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:48 pm

i just scored a pair of jr149s i read that these are domestic versions of the LS35/a and designed by jim rogers in the late 70's i found these pair earlier today and asking price is very low. condition ok (B+to B)has marks on the wooden top cover otherwise appears to be in original condition. can anyone provide me thier impressions of these speakers? Richard Yim our fellow WS member from HK and LS3/5a expert spoked highly of these speakers.
pigdog
Master
Master

Postby Tubedude » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:25 am

IMO if Richard thinks well of that speaker... then there you go. :D
Tubedude
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Raf » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:16 pm

Yesterday, I spent a very educational and ear opening afternoon in the company of Doc Odaey and his wonderful wife who happens to be a true audio collaborator to the good doctor!

Thank you so much for a great time, Doc! It was a real privillege to have the opportunity to spend time and listen to your great collection of vintage gear!

Aside from the rare chance to see all those LS3/5as in one place, I really must say that the match between the Pilot el34 amp and the acoustic research pre-amp was breath taking for me!

Doc what was the model of that pair of Spemdor's that we listened to last of all?

Thank you so much for your family's warm hospitality and for sharing your collection with me!
Raf
Fanatic
Fanatic

Location: If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you

Postby pigdog » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:18 pm

Hey Raf
if you are in HK, i should invite you to meet our fellow ws member Richard Yim as he an extensive collection of LS3/5a! you will be drooling after that!
ctr :D

Raf wrote:Yesterday, I spent a very educational and ear opening afternoon in the company of Doc Odaey and his wonderful wife who happens to be a true audio collaborator to the good doctor!

Thank you so much for a great time, Doc! It was a real privillege to have the opportunity to spend time and listen to your great collection of vintage gear!

Aside from the rare chance to see all those LS3/5as in one place, I really must say that the match between the Pilot el34 amp and the acoustic research pre-amp was breath taking for me!

Doc what was the model of that pair of Spemdor's that we listened to last of all?

Thank you so much for your family's warm hospitality and for sharing your collection with me!
pigdog
Master
Master

Postby SoLiDtUbEs » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:30 pm

SoLiDtUbEs <-------- Genuflects on the awesome collection!

No Richard Allans? What's the beef on them?
SoLiDtUbEs
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Raf » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:38 pm

pigdog wrote:Hey Raf
if you are in HK, i should invite you to meet our fellow ws member Richard Yim as he an extensive collection of LS3/5a! you will be drooling after that!
ctr :D

Raf wrote:Yesterday, I spent a very educational and ear opening afternoon in the company of Doc Odaey and his wonderful wife who happens to be a true audio collaborator to the good doctor!

I will definitely give you a heads-up before I go. Looking forward!!
Raf
Fanatic
Fanatic

Location: If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you

Postby odaey » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:25 pm

Yes, the combination of the audio research sp-10, pilot 260 and proac floorstander is quite special. Wouldn't have let you go without you hearing them. unexpected bass quality for an old amp.

The speaker we heard last i believe was the harbeth monitor (not spendor) sounds incredible as you would have said it.

I hope you get to visit your farm more often so we can have more sessions. I would really enjoy the company.
odaey
Citizen
Citizen

Postby odaey » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:39 pm

SoLiDtUbEs wrote:SoLiDtUbEs <-------- Genuflects on the awesome collection!

No Richard Allans? What's the beef on them?

No Richard allans :cry: I've limited myself to brands that stayed long enough to produce both monowire and bi-wire versions namely-- rogers,spendor and harbeth.

It has been said that the RA's are among the best built and sounding ls3/5a's. cabinet construction seems to play a big part of this.
odaey
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Odaey's LS3/5As

Postby cia » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:46 am

Odaey,

You may want to check out ebay for this Rogers LS3/5a 004 & 003 speakers 1974 / 75
which has a current bid of $3,800. This pair you got to have for your collection. Good Luck.
cia
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Odaey's LS3/5As

Postby odaey » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:43 pm

cia wrote:Odaey,

You may want to check out ebay for this Rogers LS3/5a 004 & 003 speakers 1974 / 75
which has a current bid of $3,800. This pair you got to have for your collection. Good Luck.

Hi,

It's been a while.

Interesting to see how high it would go. Whoever gets it would be king. Good thing I don't have paypal.

Hanggang tingin nalang ako :(
odaey
Citizen
Citizen

PreviousNext

Return to LS3/5A