How can we further improve our Wiredstate Audio Community?

NEWS, Announcements, Greetings, Schedules, EBs, listening sessions, lectures, shoot-outs, field trips, gimmicks, etc. for WS members only...

Moderators: vintage_dog, audiostar

How can we further improve our Wiredstate Audio Community?

Postby vintage_dog » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:12 pm

your inputs most welcome!

please suggest improvements you would like to see regarding:

- forums: do we have the right topics? any additions? subtractions?

- lay-out/design/features

- administrators/moderators: how can they be more effective?

- practices, policies, norms, etc?

- others

thanks
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Features

Postby Amplifine » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:36 pm

I noticed that in some forums I visit, there are options where you could rate other members. I don't know if they rate the posts or the comments specifically but I think they rate each other. Some could be rated in grades or stars but some sites also have a "Smite :x or Exalt :) " option where there's a running score on how many Smites and Exalts a member gets beside their handle. I guess too many Smites give a member the boot :?

But anyway, do you think we could have one of those? Coz there's just some people I really wanna Smite :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil:

Just Kidding! :lol: For your consideration. :)
Amplifine
Citizen
Citizen

Postby troporobo » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:16 pm

I really like things the way they are - particularly the "view new posts" feature. Because of this the specific forums are less important since we don't have to dig through each forum to see if there's something new and interesting

But since you asked I have two minor suggestions: one would be to separate DIY from Tubes (I know they overlap for a lot of people) and the second would be for each forum to have an FAQ instead of stickies (some of the forums have nearly the entire first page taken up by these - valuable but for regular visitors not so important to have right at the top every time)

But really, I'll be happy if you make no changes at all. This is a great resource (and a great source of distraction for boring or frustrating times in the office!)
troporobo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby handyboy » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:19 pm

In the buy and sell section, Maybe we can delete the items that were sold already so as not to confuse us. Or we can make a link done deals so all sold items go to this forum for future reference.

Confused with the forum etc etc etc and off topic....parang they sound the same. is it "audio" etc etc etc supposedly?
handyboy
Pound for Pound

Postby joe3rp » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:29 pm

There are some section (specifically the "vendors" ) that are in-active. Maybe they should be removed to lessen the sections.

The I agree with troporobo about the stickies that seem to be taking too much space.

Otherwise...if no changes...I will still be a part of this great group.

BTW, thanks to VD for wiredstate!
joe3rp
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby alizaso » Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:04 am

I will suggest to review some security issues (if not done yet) to avoid the trouble of the last down time the site experienced.
alizaso
Citizen
Citizen

Postby RU9 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:14 am

Enforce the price rule in all the sellers' forum, not only in the buy and sell section.
RU9
Citizen
Citizen

Postby marty_e » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:54 am

Some "best practices" I've seen in other forums:

Minimum 20 posts to participate in the marketplace and off-topics/etc... This is to avoid people registering just to sell services/goods on the site.

I see items for sale with no price. That has been addressed. I find it an eyesore to see 4 pages of "sent you PM" and "PM sent" because no price was indicated. Contact numbers are encouraged but not necessary if you're uncomfortable.

LARGE avatars and photos beyond 640x480 distort some pages. Hotlink thumbnails and view the entire photo elsewhere ie photobucket. We're wasting precious bandwith.

Please include section/sticky on how and where to DONATE anonymously to the board to keep things running. Small/big amounts, whatever - anything to help. Our forum has one of the most number of people who've actually met in person and private jokes, side comments, etc tend to bring topics OT which I enjoy. I don't mind putting in money monthly to create a slush fund that we either use to maintain the board, give to a charity of choice, fund an audio project or just use to buy some beers, hang out and have fun!
marty_e
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jamants » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:17 am

i think the layout and the people of wiredstate are great, really enjoy being part of this online community. The system is very orderly and there are fair rules that are being followed by most of the members. But what is more interesting is that the unspoken rule is being followed. The etiquette of wiredstate members is just classy.

But if we were to have minor changes maybe we add the PM menu in the left hand side of the homepage.
jamants
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jamants » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:29 am

in the board navigation menu =)
jamants
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby onedown » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:52 am

i'm happy with the way things are now. but i would like to echo some observations made by some members that in some forums, there are too many stickies. i also agree that the distinction between the etc and off topic threads seem vauge.

now for the buy and sell section, i think it would benefit everyone if sellers try to limit themselves to one thread.
onedown
Master
Master

Postby m_shoe_maker » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:05 am

onedown wrote:i also agree that the distinction between the etc and off topic threads seem vauge.

Me too. :roll:

But overall, the forum is Excellent :!: 8) Party on. :D
m_shoe_maker
Idol

Postby quarterback » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:48 am

I had just browsed the Stereophile Forum which is very similar to the WS. (maybe they copied WS :evil: ). My comment is their format (at least to me) presented in sort of excell format with lines and columns is easier to read. (The F1 forum is also presented in the same manner) It also seems the topics are more defined.

Suggest that WS members browse and see if we can pick up something to improve the WS. (not that I have any complaint the way it is).

Just my two cent worth.
quarterback
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby romel » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:56 am

Layout and WS members are Great!

Minor inputs only:
- All items posted should have costs, to reduce "pm sent-pm received" posts.
- Suggest to have colored and black & white version of WS logo or
a WS logo etched on brass as logo (similar to Tono Personal brass plate, which looks very classy)
- Additional color on layout (avatar colors enhances our pages)
- Donation/charity page (WS as audiophile community with a heart)
romel
Citizen
Citizen

Postby AnalogBuff » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:47 pm

As a newbie, may I suggest that you include more sites in the LINK menu.
Useful and informative sites such as Enjoy the Music.com audio magazines such as Stereophile and TAS review forums like SIX MOONS etc. can be very entertaining if accessed easily from the WS website.

A little step further would be to include a HOME THEATER SECTION for the videophiles too. I know we would like to win them over too to the AUDIO fold do we :).

Mabuhay po kayo!!
AnalogBuff

Postby conspicuous » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:01 pm

marty_e wrote:Please include section/sticky on how and where to DONATE anonymously to the board to keep things running. Small/big amounts, whatever - anything to help. Our forum has one of the most number of people who've actually met in person and private jokes, side comments, etc tend to bring topics OT which I enjoy. I don't mind putting in money monthly to create a slush fund that we either use to maintain the board, give to a charity of choice, fund an audio project or just use to buy some beers, hang out and have fun!

hear hear! :) i second marty's motion. maybe a bank account can be opened to be managed by a wiredstate board (for transparency). money can be deposited anonymously this way. this fund would also help pay for the wiredstate room being rented for the november hifi show :). there should be enough left over from the donations to pay for kegs of beer and crates of wine for those who drop by the ws suite :D
conspicuous
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:41 pm

troporobo wrote:
...each forum to have an FAQ instead of stickies (some of the forums have nearly the entire first page taken up by these - valuable but for regular visitors not so important to have right at the top every time)

take a look at the Analog forum. I have created just one sticky "FAVORITE ANALOG THREADS" for 13 former stickies.

viewtopic.php?t=7763

hope this helps :)
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby vintage_dog » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:54 pm

gambyl wrote:In the buy and sell section, Maybe we can delete the items that were sold already so as not to confuse us. Or we can make a link done deals so all sold items go to this forum for future reference.

Confused with the forum etc etc etc and off topic....parang they sound the same. is it "audio" etc etc etc supposedly?

1. Sellers must update their threads by editing subject line and indicating "SOLD" if an item is sold.

2. hehehe, yes, actually ETCETERA and OFF TOPIC forums should be combined! i just have to find an easy way to combine these two forums into one, short of moving each thread one by one to the other forum. any volunteer who wants to do it?
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby vintage_dog » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:57 pm

alizaso wrote:I will suggest to review some security issues (if not done yet) to avoid the trouble of the last down time the site experienced.

most welcome. let me know how we can proceed
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby vintage_dog » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:58 pm

RU9 wrote:Enforce the price rule in all the sellers' forum, not only in the buy and sell section.

agree. all dealers, please take note!
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to HEAR YE, HEAR YE