35K DIY Challenge

Moderators: vintage_dog, JackD201

Re: a challenge to local DIYers!

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:54 pm

JackD201 wrote:
tony wrote:way i understand it, even if i spent only 10k for the whole build and if my setup was chosen, i still get 35k, right? ;)

If read word for word in post one, that would be my understanding as well.

tama :)
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:05 pm

kabubs, salamat sa mga inputs. we really plan to involve as many folks like you to handle various aspects and tasks for the event. we alreay have some folks volunteer and volunteered for some tasks na, eg jack bahala on the judging procedures and mechanics, maybe you can handle the validation of the bill of materials and costs, val agreed to help in the venue, and tonyboy sharing ideas how winning entries can be featured at the hifi show, dami pa kailangan gawin. i'll try to list them so folks caan help.

tulong tulongan natin...atin toh..lahat panalo :) :rock:
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:10 pm

Superman wrote:Sir VD, when is the target date of the "showdown"?? :clap:

jen, still being decided. earliest na ung end-may but given that this is now getting bigger, bka june latest july. will let folks know
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby trod93 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:16 pm

May entry na ako.

Joke :D . June pa pala.

Suggestion lang po.

Can we be given the chance to play 1 track of our choice to showcase the strength of our system? So, lalabas, 4 challenge tracks plus 1 from us. Mapatugtog ko man lang "My Precious Love" ni Eddie Peregrina. Baka ito lang kayanin ng amin ni tukayo :rofl: . But, seriously, can we?

TIA
trod93
Citizen
Citizen

Postby tony » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:14 pm

vintage_dog wrote:kabubs, salamat sa mga inputs. we really plan to involve as many folks like you to handle various aspects and tasks for the event. we alreay have some folks volunteer and volunteered for some tasks na, eg jack bahala on the judging procedures and mechanics, maybe you can handle the validation of the bill of materials and costs, val agreed to help in the venue, and tonyboy sharing ideas how winning entries can be featured at the hifi show, dami pa kailangan gawin. i'll try to list them so folks caan help.

indeed, Vietnam has been holding theirs for years now.......perhaps this time the commercial vendors can sponsor the event for the local Diy'ers, and who knows, they may pickup an idea or two about what products to manufacture and sell....madali naman kami kausapin, mababaw lang ang kaligayahan..... :D
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby nicole » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:07 pm

tony wrote:
vintage_dog wrote:kabubs, salamat sa mga inputs. we really plan to involve as many folks like you to handle various aspects and tasks for the event. we alreay have some folks volunteer and volunteered for some tasks na, eg jack bahala on the judging procedures and mechanics, maybe you can handle the validation of the bill of materials and costs, val agreed to help in the venue, and tonyboy sharing ideas how winning entries can be featured at the hifi show, dami pa kailangan gawin. i'll try to list them so folks caan help.

indeed, Vietnam has been holding theirs for years now.......perhaps this time the commercial vendors can sponsor the event for the local Diy'ers, and who knows, they may pickup an idea or two about what products to manufacture and sell....madali naman kami kausapin, mababaw lang ang kaligayahan..... :D

previous photos from Vietnam's SUMO Contest 2011.. they called it SUMO Contest (pictures from VNAV audio forum) MODS pa delete na lang po kung off topic or irrelevant yung post ko..

nicole
Citizen
Citizen

a challenge to local DIYers!

Postby docsialu » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:14 pm

Nice sir nicole ;) added inspiration ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
docsialu
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby tony » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:26 pm

wow....an 813 SET probably driven by an 6CM5/EL36, we are really lagging behind the Viets.....

tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby docsialu » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:33 pm

One more observation is that those guys are still so young ;)

docsialu
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby tony » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:41 pm

maraming iniwang tubes ang mga kano sa vietnam.... :) sorry for the OT

anyway, this should be an eye opener of sorts....i started several threads over at elab, hopefully the younger guys will catch on....
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby real top » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:42 pm

vintage_dog wrote:tulong tulongan natin...atin toh..lahat panalo :) :rock:

Nice, quote sir VD. :) :) :clap:

This is good for us....NO pay per view and NO pay for full listening :) :) :D

No side bet din kung sino yun llamado at dehado :) :D , baka yun pusta mas malaki pa sa prize ;) :D joke lang .. sori OT
real top
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Jon Agner » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:36 pm

JackD201 wrote:
kabubi wrote:it is a truly worthwhile project, Francis, this challenge. and it's got WS abuzz with excitement. if i may shamelessly share some blasphemous thoughts:

- i perfectly agree with each system presenting a complete list or breakdown of parts and items used, from the casing to each and every resistor, capacitor, etc --- including the brands. we can't just account for all, say, capacitors and place them under only one category called "capacitors" and jot the cumulative cost. dapat i-indicate ang values at brands. for example, may danger kasi na palabasin na binili lahat sa Raon, yun pala may V-cap :?: :?: :?:

- pag gumamit din ng parts, branded na transformer halimbawa, dapat ilista ang fair market value nun part(s). di dapat ikatwiran na donated siya or it was long owned by the DiYer. not unless na ang entrant ang siyang mismong gumawa -- like in the case of Edrel, kahit factory produced pa siya. dito puedeng i-lista lang ni Edrel yung cost nung irons at wire lamang, siya kasi ang gumawa e. in the case of vintage stuff, like Altec or JBL, dapat ibigay yung fair market value kahit the DiYer/entrant has long been in possession of such. hindi advisable na sabihin niyang PhP 0.00 and cost niya.

- may i also sugest that there be a screening committee na magse-certify na yung kabuuang cost ng materyales ay di lalampas sa 35k. kumbaga sa impeachment process, isang pre-trial :)

- pending the identification of the judges, may i so shamelessly propose that there be a technical crew that will set up the entries. ito ay para maiwasan na ma-identify kung sino ang gumawa nung gear. kung taga WS ang magiging hurado, di kasi maiwasan na may inherent biases. what i am proposing is some sort of "blind test" na di ma-identify ang entries until the verdict has been rendered. tigin ko mas may objectivity -- not to mention mas exciting -- kung may element of mystery/anonymity.

- sana maintindihan ng ating mga katoto na kung may maging interesado sa alinmmang entry, hindi nangangahulugan na kung magpapagawa sila sa lumikha ng gear na yun, 35k yung cost. 35k kasi is the unit cost, or cost to produce -- wala dun yung proprietary aspect at labor cost which the DiYer has every right to factor in and determine.

yun lang po.

Hi Kabubs,

I don't know if we should really complicate all of this too much when it comes to cost. Hindi naman sana natin kailangang ikontrata ang SGV para dito :D I mean suppose one of the contestants is building his amp from his parts bin, and for sure lots of those parts will, do we go new retail or do we have to make them compute the street, used, or depreciated price? What if parts were scavenged? How do we assign a price for those? Hassle lang for them. IMO better to have them expend their energy on the creative and build aspects. Honor System na lang is my suggestion. Magkakaalaman rin naman kung may mang-gulang man. ;)

As for the anonymous entries, I fully agree, I even volunteered to be head of the judge distraction committee aka gigimick kami habang nagsesetup kayo :D :D :D Judges won't know who made what. Scoring criteria and weights are being designed by VD. May scoring sheet that will be tabulated.

Jack

aren't we suppose to have fun with this activity? :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby arnoldc » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:16 am

Napakadali ilagay sa excel ng Bom to be submitted to the judges.

arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby carbondated » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:30 am

I second the motion for honour system -- with the caveat that the cases can be opened to examine the components. Besides, we're all familiar with the look and style of each other's work! :D
carbondated
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:44 am

oo fun is the objective :D a rough bom is needed so prospective builders and buyers have an idea on costs.

just build it guys and have fun! :) :)
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ambel » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:41 am

This is suppose to be fun. But it seems that it is heading in the direction of the saying "That to many cooks
Would spoil the broth". IMO
ambel
Citizen
Citizen

Postby kabubi » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:33 pm

when people express opinions or make suggestions, i don't see why it should be interpreted as spoiling the fun. i think the very essence of forums such as this is to thresh out ideas.

and what's wrong with rules? this is supposed to be a friendly competition, isn't it? and rules should make it orderly. no big deal there, specially when we have VD to moderate the propositions.

:(

"Seek first to understand, then be understood."

- Steven Covey
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby vintage_dog » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:58 pm

:) all suggestions are welcome...there are no right and wrong ones, and i appreciate them. so feel free to comment..

yes, we will consider all inputs, and i will decide what's best given the objective we have for the event. i will moderate as best as i can... ;)

...our process and event may and will never be perfect, but this is about everyone having fun and am sure will we all want a little friendly competition but geez, audio is so subjective and personal...

but what's common is our passion for the hobby and openness to different variations and creations of reproducing music

this is what excites!
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby narayan » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:59 pm

trod93 wrote:May entry na ako.

Joke :D . June pa pala.

TIA

very striking resemblance to speakers am familiar with :devil:
narayan
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:13 pm

ambel wrote:This is suppose to be fun. But it seems that it is heading in the direction of the saying "That to many cooks
Would spoil the broth". IMO

no problem with too many cooks pitching in at this point.

i will make sure the broth will not be spoiled. :lol:
(kung masira man, dadala ako ng adobo at rice... )

unworthy man ako o deserving, i will be the master chef ;)
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to 35K DIY Challenge