Turntable selector hum

For the serious and not so serious in audio: DoItYourself and Tubes (SET, PP, Vintage).

Moderator: kabubi

Turntable selector hum

Postby edgarryan » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:41 pm

Tried to build a turntable selector recently. Parts were sourced from Raon, mostly cheap. When I plugged in three turntables, I noticed a hum. All three are properly grounded. One TT is connected first to an SUT, while the other two are directly connected to the selector, then all three to a phonostage. What could the problem be? Should I use higher quality parts to avoid the problem?
edgarryan
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Turntable selector hum

Postby plasticman » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:14 am

Hi sir!

You'll need to "hunt" for the source of the hum now. It can be quick, kung matyambahan, or a complete PITA.

i would suggest that you try to connect one turntable at a time and check if it is a specific turntable that produces the hum. You might have to also try to connect a single TT to the different inputs to check if it is a specific input connection that's the culprit.

Another thing is to get a length of wire and check if grounding the selector to the phonostage will eliminate or lessen the hum. Pwde din selector to preamp, TT's directly to the phonostge, etc. Or combination of groundings.

Like I said, it can be a real PITA!!!

Good luck!
plasticman
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Jon Agner » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:33 pm

the more components along the line, expect that there'll be a hum :)

To find the hum, simply use a few alligator clips to gound all the components together (switch, phonostage, SUT, turntable, tonearm, amps,) then unclip each component at a time. If there is still a hum even if all components are already grounded together, then you'll need to have your equipment earth grounded. If you have a landline, or your cable company provided a ground rod for your cable/phone line, then simply run a gauge 12 or 10 wire to connect your equipment ground to the earth ground.

HTH.
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby edgarryan » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:06 pm

I didn't think of grounding the selector itself. I thought grouding the components would be enough. WIll try your suggestions later. Thanks!
edgarryan
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ambel » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:37 pm

Did you use shielded wires and interconnects ? If not then the hum is induced.
ambel
Citizen
Citizen

Postby edgarryan » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:35 am

Yup, I used shielded wire and interconnects. Even the RCA plugs are shielded with shrinkable tubes.

How do I ground the switch? The chassis is made of plastic.
edgarryan
Citizen
Citizen

Postby edgarryan » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:32 pm

Really going out of my mind here. Tried to do all suggestions, but the hum persists. The problem is not with the turntables since individually connected to the phonostage, they do not make noise. The selector really is the culprit, though I do not know how to remedy it.
edgarryan
Citizen
Citizen

Postby n_dot » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:51 pm

edgarryan wrote:Really going out of my mind here. Tried to do all suggestions, but the hum persists. The problem is not with the turntables since individually connected to the phonostage, they do not make noise. The selector really is the culprit, though I do not know how to remedy it.

Sir I presume your selector has no ground connection? How did you connect ground leads of the 3 tables going to the phono stage? You can try to directly connect ground lead of your 3 tables to the phono stage ground.
n_dot

Postby edgarryan » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:29 pm

Yup, that's what I did. The ground leads were connected directly to the phonostage. Might discard the project altogether and just buy a ready-made unit.
edgarryan
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Jon Agner » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:43 pm

did you do a common ground on your selector switch? also, check your connections, there may be a loose somewhere
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby hypertriode » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:29 pm

You have a ground loop edgarryan. You have to switch all four phono terminals (R+, R-, L+ & L-) independently. No common ground with the R- & L-. Common ground is chassis ground. I can help with your problem if it can wait after the Hi-Fi show bro :)
hypertriode
Grand Master

Postby soundpurist » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:44 pm

hypertriode wrote:You have a ground loop edgarryan. You have to switch all four phono terminals (R+, R-, L+ & L-) independently. No common ground with the R- & L-. Common ground is chassis ground. I can help with your problem if it can wait after the Hi-Fi show bro :)

Rene did a switcher for 3 tts several years ago for me, no hum whatsoever.Until now am still using it
:)
soundpurist
Citizen
Citizen

Postby edgarryan » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:48 pm

soundpurist wrote:
hypertriode wrote:You have a ground loop edgarryan. You have to switch all four phono terminals (R+, R-, L+ & L-) independently. No common ground with the R- & L-. Common ground is chassis ground. I can help with your problem if it can wait after the Hi-Fi show bro :)

Rene did a switcher for 3 tts several years ago for me, no hum whatsoever.Until now am still using it
:)

That's exactly what I'm trying to copy. I looked at the pictures Rene posted, and it seems that I did the same. Iba talaga pag master ang gumawa.

Would it make any difference if I connected lugs for the ground in the chassis of the switcher? I only connected the ground wire to the SUT and phonostage. I have not provided any ground for the switcher.
Last edited by edgarryan on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edgarryan
Citizen
Citizen

Postby edgarryan » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:12 pm

Thanks for the offer. I will bring it to your shop after the Hi-Fi Show, if I still can't fix the problem. Condolences nga pala.
edgarryan
Citizen
Citizen

Postby hypertriode » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:21 pm

edgarryan wrote:

Thanks for the offer. I will bring it to your shop after the Hi-Fi Show, if I still can't fix the problem. Condolences nga pala.

Thanks bro!
hypertriode
Grand Master

Return to DIY and Tubes