HELP: speaker spikes

For the serious and not so serious in audio: DoItYourself and Tubes (SET, PP, Vintage).

Moderator: kabubi

HELP: speaker spikes

Postby stjohn » Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:37 pm

guys
where can i buy speaker spikes locally? small, very small, or 'normal size'. .. somebody told me that there's someone here in our forum who can supply this (and other DIY stuffs, too)?

TNX!
stjohn
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mozilla » Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:53 pm

Do you mean spikes as in the ones screwed to the speaker stand that will be in contact w/ the floor? Stand normally come with that. If yours didn't, try Mang Jun (#8058845) or Rene Rivo aka Hypetriode(#8325710).
mozilla

Postby yeo » Thu Feb 20, 2003 4:05 pm

for el cheapo solution.

go to hardware store. ask for plumbing bobs. they come in various sizes. i'm using the smallest for my speakers.

see here. http://www.diyparadise.com/kenneth's%20spike.jpg

or here. http://www.diyparadise.com/hammer.html

yeo
yeo
Citizen
Citizen

Postby stjohn » Thu Feb 20, 2003 4:07 pm

hi moz
my speakers do have these, I want to use them with my DIY platforms so they are really coupled to the floor.

yes! they were the names mentioned.
maraming salamat. . . hindi ko makakalimutan yan :wink:
stjohn
Citizen
Citizen

Postby rtsyrtsy » Thu Feb 20, 2003 4:14 pm

Yeo,

I just like to take time out to thank you for always pointing Pinoydiophiles to working solutions that still leave us money to buy CDs and LPs.

You're a wonderful addition to Pinoydiophiles.

--Russell
rtsyrtsy

Postby stjohn » Thu Feb 20, 2003 4:15 pm

yo, yeo!
don't be surprised - I do use plumb bobs on my turntable platform (before) but not as the tip-toes, but for coupling the mounting board to the sand & oil mix :) ... i said 'before' because the thing started leaking and making a mess in my room :oops:

which reminds me - this sand box is an excellent platform though quite massive and may not suite some users. anyone interested? I'll be happy to post!

...now, to go to the hardware and look for those small bobs. .. next problem is the mounting nut for them :roll:

many thanks!
stjohn
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mozilla » Thu Feb 20, 2003 4:18 pm

In that case, (and if your platforms allow it) you may use stainless steel bolts. Just have the screwed end sharpend at a machine shop.

or

You may also try buying plumb bobs (hulog) at P18/pc.

or

You can have a machine shop hone some solid brass into cones, then have them thread the top/flat part so you can bolt it to your stand.

Or, for that "Rambo" look, try Lucio Caddedus homebrew spikes:
http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/bulletspikes_e.html

Have fun!
mozilla

Postby rtsyrtsy » Thu Feb 20, 2003 4:23 pm

mozilla wrote:Or, for that "Rambo" look, try Lucio Caddedus homebrew spikes:
http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/bulletspikes_e.html

Piece-loving citizen Johnmarco,

Mozilla just found another use for the dispensibles in your other hobby. :twisted:
rtsyrtsy

Postby stjohn » Thu Feb 20, 2003 4:46 pm

moz
do i have to install my reloader just for this? then I'll have to melt some of my lead ingots, too . . well, might as well load some 150PFs then :wink:

the bobs are OK as long as they compliment my platforms. .. the 'rambo-look' is out coz of 'the ban'. . . unless we have the guts to go to stronghand for the slugs...

once i finish my DIY (of sort) I'll post.

PREVIEW:
I'm making either a slate or a granite mounting platform for my amps; the bobs look too industrial, while the slugs look too radical.. . and the machine jobs could be expensive but may actually be quite handsome(BTW, any recommended machine shop in QC, within the bounds of teacher's village, cubao, areas?).

egay
stjohn
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mozilla » Thu Feb 20, 2003 4:47 pm

Papulot ng "dispensibles" so I can build a set too...
mozilla

Postby arnoldc » Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:07 pm

the best looking plumb bobs (P169) are available at true value. on this model, you can screw on to the bobs. but i'm cheap (on DIY) so i bought the not so good looking ones from ace hardware (P19).
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Return to DIY and Tubes