Manila Collective: Dante's New Coffee Shop

Sponsors: dante

Re: dante: FS Freshly Roasted Specialty Coffee - Dec 9 Update!

Postby pigdog » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:19 pm

hey dante
should you find yourself in HK do bring a nice bag of your best moccha! will gladly pay for it!
cheers
ctr
pigdog
Master
Master

Postby dante » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:43 am

pigdog wrote:hey dante
should you find yourself in HK do bring a nice bag of your best moccha! will gladly pay for it!
cheers
ctr

Hey Bro. Your wish is good as done. I'll be there Feb and can meet up. Coffee is on me. If you want a pack earlier, let me know and I'll check if it makes sense sending you a pack by courier.

Cheers!

Dante
dante
cool dude

Postby efm2 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:31 pm

Hi Dante,

Where can I buy burlap bags locally? BTW, Merry Christmas :)

Cheers,

Edwin
efm2
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dante » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:17 am

efm2 wrote:Hi Dante,

Cheers,

Edwin

Hi Edwin, I don't use burlap but can ask my friends in the business about it. If you plan to use it for coffee, you might want to know that most folks are starting to veer away from burlap and jute and into mylar and plastic vac packed. Greens last longer and keep fresher that way.

Merry Christmas to all coffee aficionados out there! ;)
dante
cool dude

Postby efm2 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:22 am

dante wrote:

Cheers,

Edwin

Hi Edwin, I don't use burlap but can ask my friends in the business about it. If you plan to use it for coffee, you might want to know that most folks are starting to veer away from burlap and jute and into mylar and plastic vac packed. Greens last longer and keep fresher that way.

Hi Dante,

Yeah. I think I've come across that discussion in one of the coffee forums. So, a vacuum sealer is the recommended mode of storage now? This is a little more expensive than burlaps but has more uses in the kitchen :) .

Thanks Dante.
efm2
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dante » Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:22 am

efm2 wrote:
dante wrote:

Cheers,

Edwin

Hi Dante,

Yeah. I think I've come across that discussion in one of the coffee forums. So, a vacuum sealer is the recommended mode of storage now? This is a little more expensive than burlaps but has more uses in the kitchen :) .

Thanks Dante.

Yes, i vacuum seal my greens now Edwin. Humidity degrades bean quality fast so vac packing greens is the only way to go here. Have a great Christmas day my friends!
dante
cool dude

Postby efm2 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:18 am

Hi Dante,

Did you get yours locally? Any brand recommendation?
efm2
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dante » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:01 am

Did you get yours locally? Any brand recommendation?

Mine is a Foodsaver sourced from the US, Pards. I'm sure there are local equivalents.

Cheers!

And to add more cheer - read this - Coffee reduces cancer risk!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
dante
cool dude

Postby efm2 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:17 am

Another reason to have a refill :)
efm2
Citizen
Citizen

Re: dante: FS Freshly Roasted Specialty Coffee -Jan 7 Update!

Postby dante » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:14 am

Happy New Year!

Now that the Christmas rush is over, let's get back to what's brewing at Coffee Dante.

The flagship is of course the Panama La Esmeralda Gesha that is almost sold out. This is lot 5 of the 2008 auction, and it is stellar! The exciting news is that I have a small shipment of beans from Lot 7 of the same auction. If Lot 5 was stellar, Lot 7 is supposedly out of this galaxy. So, we are awaiting the arrival of this Gesha with bated breath.

La Esmeralda Gesha Lot 5. Three (3) First Place finishes at the Specialty Coffee Association of America cuppings, 2nd Place this year, consistent Best of Panama winner since 1994. Nuff said. Google it. Enjoy it. I have been pricing this conservatively at P800 per 200 grams so that it will be very affordable to our coffeegeek friends on WS. I am going through my own stock very quickly. This is one of the best coffees I have tasted. Smooth, fruity, chocolatey finish, complex. Excellent for any type of brewing. And great anytime of the day.

Ethiopia Kochere Wet Processed Yirgachefe - P500 per 200g pack. A traditional Yirg, processed wet, the traditional way. Good acidity, hints of lime and lemon, malty and complex. Great from hot to cool. In fact, it gets sweeter as it cools in your cup! Very nice body and mouth feel, typical of good Yirgs. Smooth and full bodied. I'd say that this is an all day coffee.

Ethiopia Korate Dry Processed (natural) Sidamo - P500 per 200g pack. Fruit Punch! Amazingly different from the Yirg, considering that they come from the same country. Coffee with cherry. Blueberries. Your taste buds will be given a workout by this coffee. It is one of the most complex coffees that I have roasted. Enjoyable from the time you open the pack and sniff it, up to when you drink the last drop of it from your cup. A coffee for sipping and savoring. Definitely a conversation stopper. This was the best seller during the Hifi show.

Ethiopia Idido Misty Valley Yirgachefe - P600 per 200g pack. The new crop is here, but the price has gone up so I am still trying to figure how much to price this coffee. Abangan...

Ethiopia Bagersh Harrar - P500 per 200g pack. Big, bold African flavors - blueberries and nuts. And aroma to die for! This is a classic African coffee, dry processed and great for any type of coffeemaker. Fantastic waker upper! I hope the supplies last until the next harvest.

Brazil Moreninha Formosa, Cerrado Mineiro Estate. A sweet, smooth fresh Brazil with terrific body, nice fruit and just a hint of nuttiness. This is a full natural coffee dried on raised African beds. Chocolate covered cherries. Another perfect choice for espresso. Fantastic lunch or afternoon coffee. New stock has arrived. One of my best sellers. - P500 per 200 grams.

Colombia Supremo 18+. That's bean size, not age. If you want your coffee simple - kapeng kape - no fruit, no tobacco, no flowers - just coffee - this is the coffee for you. Smooth but punchy, developing a chocolatey after taste as it cools. Excellent for breakfast. Or lunch. Even dinner. - P500 per 200 grams.

Costa Rica La Minita Tarrazu - P600 per 200g pack. Every Internet coffee place will tell you how great a coffee the Tarazzu arabica from La Minita Farms is! It is the quintessential coffee from Central America - smooth, full bodied. Suave with a long finish. Very enjoyable any time of the day, but really perfect in the evenings after a nice dinner.

Kenya Peaberry Gethumbwini I still need to write some material for this one, but it is a fantastic coffee. Very different from the Ethiopians. My daughter calls it "kapeng-kape". Just when you thought you've tried them all, along comes great coffee like this. This will sell for P650 per 200 grams.

Sagada arabica is out of stock at the moment - P250 per 200 grams.

Benguet arabica available in limited quantities - P250 per 200 grams

Costa Rica Swiss Water Process Decaf is still available. Nobody will believe that this is Decaf. The body and mouth feel suggest a very good Central American coffee. All the flavor characteristics of a good Central, sans the caffeine! I take this even at midnight, with no caffeine kick. Great for evenings. And anytime of the day for the caffeine-sensitive among us! - P550 per 200 gram pack.

Buying tips: buy only enough coffee for one week use, maximum two weeks. I can grind it for you, but you will get the best results if you grind the beans yourselves just before you brew your coffee.

Storage tips: I pack roasted coffee in resealable bags but they are not as airtight as the Ziplocks. Best way to keep them fresh is to store them in those Lock and Lock airtight containers and keep them in your pantry - NOT IN THE REF! Refrigerating coffee will expose them to condensation every time you take the container out of the ref to get your daily dose. Room temperature is best. And brew your beans no later than 2 weeks after the roast date. I will indicate the roasting date of your coffee for your guidance.

Aeropress available but down to 3 units. At the same prices - P1,900 per unit.

Delivery service is available via 2Go. P150 for up to 600g of coffee within 2Go's "Serviceable" areas - this means the big cities like Angeles, Baguio, or even CDO, Davao and Cebu. This is usually next day delivery, which is pretty good.

Orders may be PMed or texted to me. Makati or Pasig pick up if you're in a hurry for your coffee.

Thank you!
dante
cool dude

Postby kaffee » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:12 am

dante wrote:Happy New Year!
Storage tips: I pack roasted coffee in resealable bags but they are not as airtight as the Ziplocks. Best way to keep them fresh is to store them in those Lock and Lock airtight containers and keep them in your pantry - NOT IN THE REF! Refrigerating coffee will expose them to condensation every time you take the container out of the ref to get your daily dose. Room temperature is best. And brew your beans no later than 2 weeks after the roast date. I will indicate the roasting date of your coffee for your guidance.

Unfortunately, storing coffee in the ref is still common practice, as do fine grinding well ahead of brewing. Both takes out the freshness and aerates the coffee and makes it lose not just the aroma but the taste.

Anyway, any thoughts on the old, traditional hand grinder, @dante? Thanks :)
kaffee
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dante » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:34 am

kaffee wrote:
dante wrote:Unfortunately, storing coffee in the ref is still common practice, as do fine grinding well ahead of brewing. Both takes out the freshness and aerates the coffee and makes it lose not just the aroma but the taste.

Anyway, any thoughts on the old, traditional hand grinder, @dante? Thanks :)

Hi Kaffee, I like your handle. ;) Speaking of handles, I have a small collection of vintage Zassenhaus hand grinders. They are authentic burr grinders and, depending on the model that you get, can grind as fine as espresso quality grind. Almost all the Zassenhaus hand mills are good enough for grinding coffee to french press or even vacuum pot fineness. The pain is in the grinding. The finer you go, the harder and longer it takes to turn those hand cranks. I get a workout grinding just enough coffee for one person, much less two.

If you brew using french press or drip, you might be better off (in the absence of alternatives) using a Zass over those cheap blade grinders. What gets eliminated in the process of burr grinding are the fines (the coffee powder) that get overextracted whatever the brewing method and make the coffee sour.

Welcome to WS and the WS Coffee Clicque bro!
dante
cool dude

Postby O.D. Yeo » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:53 am

dante wrote:Welcome to WS and the WS Coffee Clicque bro!

SIS, Dante.
O.D. Yeo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dante » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:40 am

O.D. Yeo wrote:

SIS, Dante.

Woops! Mea culpa. Please accept my apologies Ms. Kaffee! Welcome to WS Sis! :lol:
dante
cool dude

Postby kaffee » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:48 pm

dante wrote:Hi Kaffee, I like your handle. ;) ...
O.D. Yeo wrote:

SIS, Dante.
Woops! Mea culpa. Please accept my apologies Ms. Kaffee! Welcome to WS Sis! :lol:

:lol: LOL Thanks, @dante and @O.D. Yeo

dante wrote: ...Speaking of handles, I have a small collection of vintage Zassenhaus hand grinders. They are authentic burr grinders and, depending on the model that you get, can grind as fine as espresso quality grind. Almost all the Zassenhaus hand mills are good enough for grinding coffee to french press or even vacuum pot fineness...

This is very interesting, @dante. I looked up Zassenhaus handmills and look what I got:
Now, if I had the chance to own one of these, I'd feel right to use it as an avatar. The collection, where the image above is from, is beautiful. : )
dante wrote:... The pain is in the grinding. The finer you go, the harder and longer it takes to turn those hand cranks. I get a workout grinding just enough coffee for one person, much less two.

If you brew using french press or drip, you might be better off (in the absence of alternatives) using a Zass over those cheap blade grinders. What gets eliminated in the process of burr grinding are the fines (the coffee powder) that get overextracted whatever the brewing method and make the coffee sour.

True. I've tried the local hand grinders up in the mountains of Ifugao and it does take a lot of effort, after which I equated that with putting in a little more of the taste and adding to the great experience of taking in newly ground and prepared morning coffee, though.
kaffee
Citizen
Citizen

Postby efm2 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:36 pm

"Now, if I had the chance to own one of these, I'd feel right to use it as an avatar."

Hi Miss Kaffee. Actually I have 2 of this model (154MA). One is in perpetual use while a brand new one remains untouched, unused. Judging by it's quality I think I won't be needing a spare. PM me if your interested. I can actually discern the degree of roast by how smoothly you can turn the handle. The darker the roast, the smoother it turns. For Aeropress using 10-11 grams of beans it takes around 130-140 turns. Not bad :) .
efm2
Citizen
Citizen

Postby kaffee » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:15 am

efm2 wrote:"Now, if I had the chance to own one of these, I'd feel right to use it as an avatar."

Hi Miss Kaffee. Actually I have 2 of this model (154MA). One is in perpetual use while a brand new one remains untouched, unused. Judging by it's quality I think I won't be needing a spare. PM me if your interested. I can actually discern the degree of roast by how smoothly you can turn the handle. The darker the roast, the smoother it turns. For Aeropress using 10-11 grams of beans it takes around 130-140 turns. Not bad :) .

Hello, @efm2,
I did not imagine I'd actually read something like the quoted post above. Seems too good to be true. :) Thanks for the offer. Will PM.
Best-
K
kaffee
Citizen
Citizen

Postby O.D. Yeo » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:34 pm

kaffee wrote: At 2:15 AM!

Hello, @efm2,
I did not imagine I'd actually read something like the quoted post above. Seems too good to be true. :) Thanks for the offer. Will PM.
Best-
K

Still up at 2:15 AM? di kaya too much kaffee?
O.D. Yeo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby efm2 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:02 pm

K[/quote]

Still up at 2:15 AM? di kaya too much kaffee?[/quote]

:D
efm2
Citizen
Citizen

Postby enzolm » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:03 pm

Kuya Dante,

Greetings. My stash ran out. Can I please order a bag of Kenya Peaberry Gethumbwini and a bag of Benguet arabica?

Thanks and warmest regards.
enzolm
Citizen
Citizen

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Audio