Tono Tonearm Lifter (TonaL)

Moderator: mandym

Postby quarterback » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:20 pm

mandym wrote:Hi QB,

I appreciate your interest. So far the Tonal has fit on all the 'tables I've encountered. However, just to make sure let me do a search on your system. My "manufacturing/installation" schedule is roughly 4 to 5 units every 2 weeks, this Saturday is filled but I still have a couple of slots for Oct.22. Will let you know ASAP. I will also need to know the height from the plinth to the top of the arm and (since you have a suspended system) the height from the platform to the top of the arm.

Regards
Mandym

Hi,

The height of the top of the arm to the platform is 50 MM. Maybe lighter material is preferable so it won't add too much weight on the platform. The mounting should also be taken into condideration since the lifter will vibrate when record is playing since it will also be mounted on the suspended platform. (Is it also possible to have a matte black powder coated finish ?)

Thanks.
quarterback
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby mandym » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:15 am

Hi QB,

I did a search on your 'table. It will be so easy to mount the TonaL there that I can do it with one of my hands tied behind my back :lol: .

Regarding your concern about record vibrations upsetting or loosening the mounting, I don't see any problem. About the weight of the unit, it is about 20 grams. Too small, I think to significantly affect the 'table level (which of course can be releveled if necessary); LP records weigh over 100 grams. Materials lighter than aluminum (magnesium?) can be used, but at much higher price.

Sorry, I don't have the finish you like. But I agree, indeed it will go quite handsomly with your 'table.

Mandy
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby quarterback » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:33 pm

mandym wrote:Hi QB,

I did a search on your 'table. It will be so easy to mount the TonaL there that I can do it with one of my hands tied behind my back :lol: .

Regarding your concern about record vibrations upsetting or loosening the mounting, I don't see any problem. About the weight of the unit, it is about 20 grams. Too small, I think to significantly affect the 'table level (which of course can be releveled if necessary); LP records weigh over 100 grams. Materials lighter than aluminum (magnesium?) can be used, but at much higher price.

Sorry, I don't have the finish you like. But I agree, indeed it will go quite handsomly with your 'table.

Mandy

MandyM,

Thanks. I'll check first with first with some of my friends if they can have the tonal (most likely aluminum) powder coated then i"ll give you a "GO". I really would like a black finish to match with the TT. I can wait a little longer just to have a functional and visually pleasing attachment to the TT.

QB
quarterback
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Racio » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:03 am

moving from PM:
mandym wrote:Hi Racio,

Thanks for your interest.

-snipped-

Please let me know what is the height from the plinth to the top of your arm (in tha playing position).

Thanks again,
Mandym

Hey Mandy, from plinth surface to top of the arm it's exactly 120mm. But another option is perhaps we could fix the TonaL on a portion of the armboard, which in fact only has a height of 56mm to the arm's apex. And given that my table is suspended, I suspect that the armboard mount would be better suited for my application. I'm afraid that if we install it on its acrylic plinth, the TonaL will not clear the width of the armboard (w/c is about 100mm in diameter) unless the TonaL's cantilever be lengthened to at least 85mm. Anyways, I'm sure you'll be able to sort it out come Saturday sir. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Please give me a ring if you need further details on my rig before the install.
Racio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby mandym » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:21 am

Wow Racio, I did not realize your armboard is an airport :o ! You are right. Although I can easily make an a cantilever extendable to 85mm, the best way is to do what you suggest.

Mandym
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby mandym » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:31 am

Hi QB

How about black anodizing of aluminum? If you want a matte finish, I will simply skip the polishing operation.

Mandym
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby quarterback » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:50 am

Mandym,

Please check your PM.

Regards,

quarterback
quarterback
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby mandym » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:26 am

quarterback wrote:Mandym,

Please check your PM.

Regards,

quarterback

Please check your PM for my reply.
Mandy
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby detubo » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:44 am

look mom, no screws! tonal upgrade makes it look sleek and at the same time prevents the screws from drifting. what you don't see is the minute depression w/c mandy made underneath preventing the blue tac from over flowing out. hand made craftmanship talaga. hats off to you mandy!

detubo
Master
Master

Postby vintage_dog » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:41 am

pretty!

i want one! :-)
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby troporobo » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:26 am

I joined the club last Saturday - now working beautifully - very impressive work Mandy! And thanks to you and yoru lady friends for the house call and expert installation.
troporobo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby KD » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:39 am

Is the finished product height-adjustable? What if in the future I need to raise or lower the tonearm (VTA adjustment) because I bought a new cart? Would I need to buy a new lifter?
KD
Legend
Legend

Postby mandym » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:24 pm

KD wrote:Is the finished product height-adjustable? What if in the future I need to raise or lower the tonearm (VTA adjustment) because I bought a new cart? Would I need to buy a new lifter?

Yes KD, it is adjustable. Raise the arm by 1/8, raise the Tonal by same. Lower the arm, lower the Tonal by same amount. Simple.

As for the top cap requested by detubo, it is indeed pretty, so for all "members" who want one, let me know and I'll make a complimentary one for you because you were the first to trust the product and to patronize a Pinoy endeavour. Red76, I have not forgotten your brass cap, I'm just a little busy preparing some units for the NOVEMBER SHOW

Mandym
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby rvc » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:46 pm

beautiful. fine craftsmanship. saw it in action at detubo's. proudly filipino. congratulations.
rvc
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Racio » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:06 am

This really took me out of my audio hibernation Mandy. Kaka-aliw! Sure breaks the routine of jumping over to the arm lift after hitting the end of the last track. Playing 45s is such a breeze now. Thanks again for coming over w/ the missus and friends. I'll try to post my photos of the TonaL soon. :)
Racio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby quarterback » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:06 pm

Got my Tonal installed this afternoon. You will not know how helpful the Tonal is until you have them. The tonal made my analog listening more enjoyable. Now, i don't have to be constantly on watch. The black beauty complemented well with the color of the suspension and tonearm.

Thank you mandym and nice meeting your two beautiful sidekicks (Emma and Rose). I hope you enjoyed the food. Thanks for the Buko pie.
quarterback
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby zenaudio » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:15 pm

Hi mandym,
Nice meeting you at the hifi show earlier today.
Installed the TonaL tonight by myself, using the instructions you gave me.
Happy to let you know it is working perfectly. :)
Cheers!
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby mandym » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:45 am

Hi QB. Thank you for that delicious, HUMONGOUS panga ng tuna direct from GenSan! And the hospitality was of the same quality.

Hi Zenaudio. I am happy to hear that you installed the Tonal by yourself. Was it easy, soso or hard? I am interested to know how I can simplify the installation/instruction further. Thanks for being the pioneer for DIY installation of the Tonal! May your tribe increase.
mandym
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Jon Agner » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:24 pm

Mandy,

Nice meeting you at Room 602. :) It was a nice conversation, abeit short.

I'll be getting a TonaL myself come December, pero dyan ko nalang kukunin sa San Pablo ;)

Cheers
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby zenaudio » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:33 pm

mandym wrote:Hi Zenaudio. I am happy to hear that you installed the Tonal by yourself. Was it easy, soso or hard? I am interested to know how I can simplify the installation/instruction further. Thanks for being the pioneer for DIY installation of the Tonal! May your tribe increase.

Hi mandym,
It wasn't that difficult. What helped in my case:
1. Having actually seen how it works (at Rm 602) so I could visualize the end result. I also took pictures of the demo unit with my cell phone for reference.
2. Your verbal instructions/tips, eg, immobilize the tonearm with tape, etc.
3. The written instructions are quite good actually. Most useful was your troubleshooting guide, since one is bound to have to make adjustments.
4. The TonaL is well designed to begin with, robust but quite flexible in positioning/twisting of base, adjustments in distance etc..

For someone who hasn't seen it before and gets the kit for the first time, I imagine it would be hard to visualize. What could help is a video to go with it. Or you may want to show photos of each step. Another suggestion, since you are installing it now on various tt models, why not take pictures so that future customers owning a similar model can just refer to them?

Hope this helps. I am a supporter of Pinoy products.

The TonaL has "liberated" my vinyl listening experience -- I am no longer captive to the last track :)
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Mandy's Wonders