Info on Mordaunt Short System 442

Dedicated forum just for speakers!

Moderator: Hyperion

Info on Mordaunt Short System 442

Postby strings » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:31 pm

Hi! I'm trying to get info on the Mordaunt Short System 442 floorstanders. Can't seem to find anyting on it. I'd appreciate any info you can give. Thanks!
strings
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:00 am

Hi Earfull, sorry man I tried my darndest to find out about these for you, since running internet searches is sort of a hobby of mine. Kinda like an online detective game. Anyway, all I could come up with was that the 442 was designed by Phil Ward and was reviewed in the Stereophile March 1988 edition. Unfortunately, the Stereophile online archives don't go back that far. It was mentioned in passing as having been radical at the time by having the drivers attached yet decoupled from a central spine ala the new gallo acoustics. I tried running searches on Phil Ward and that was a bust too. The only additional info I can offer is that it was a 2-way with 6.7" woofers and a tweeter per side and came in at a heavyweight 110lbs! They apparently have also kept their value well as a german site lists a pair in rosewood for 3600 wether euro or DM unspecified down only 1/4 of it's value since 1987 almost 20 years ago.

Sorry for the let down but here's where the trail ended at least for me. You can continue if you wish. All M-S speakers made prior to 1998 are now serviced by a separate company called lockwood audio. Any information on the System 442 as well as parts can be had by posing as an owner of a pair and e-mailing roger@lockwood-audio.co.uk. They will prob ask for a serial number though. If that fails as an ultimate last resort (of the free kind) join the uk forum zerogain and try PMing this guy named Timpy who has a pair.

Other than that I figure you'll just have to become a paid subscriber of audiogon to get the bluebook info.

I'm an insomniac and this is how I get myself sleepy. And I am really sleepy now. Hope this helps. :)
JackD201
Immortal

system 422

Postby strings » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:05 pm

Hi!

Tried emailing the address you gave me but no response so far. Anyway, I hope to get maybe any kind of writeup on these speakers one day. it would be nice to know what front end matched with these speakers. At least I can find something that matches. Thanks again!
strings
Citizen
Citizen

Re: system 422

Postby joey1355 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:01 pm

strings wrote:Hi!

Tried emailing the address you gave me but no response so far. Anyway, I hope to get maybe any kind of writeup on these speakers one day. it would be nice to know what front end matched with these speakers. At least I can find something that matches. Thanks again!

please let me know if they response. i my self own system 442, but no driver. i try to put my old B&W 7' sub, for the back of it is the mid bass B&W and for the tweeter i put a dual brand dome type.
joey1355
Citizen
Citizen

Re: system 422

Postby strings » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:33 am

joey1355 wrote:
strings wrote:Hi!

please let me know if they response. i my self own system 442, but no driver. i try to put my old B&W 7' sub, for the back of it is the mid bass B&W and for the tweeter i put a dual brand dome type.

Hi Joey1355! Good to know someone else with these speakers. I don't know if mine still has the original drivers. I think so but haven't had the chance to look inside. It looks like mint condition.

I'm interested in how you changed the drivers and how your system 442 sounds with the replaced drivers. Wish i could listen. However I'm Baguio-based and seldom have a chance to go down.

I'd appreciate any info you have on the speakers. would you happen to have the owner's manual or any literature on it? I'd love to have a copy. Charge me na lang for the xeroxing, etc.

Thanks!
strings
Citizen
Citizen

Postby joey1355 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:41 pm

sorry i have no manual for i only bought it just for the enclosure. well the sound produce with the b&w speakers on is good. The bass is fine and the mid is clear but the high is suspended some how, ill try to put my other high driver and hear what it sounds like. I know a guy who own this model too. ill try to contact him and audition it. ill let you know if i contact him. how does it sound in your system? what amp are u using? im using mine for ht system using a denon a/v reciever.
joey1355
Citizen
Citizen

Postby strings » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:16 am

[quote="JackD201"]Hi Earfull, sorry man I tried my darndest to find out about these for you, since running internet .....

....e-mailing roger@lockwood-audio.co.uk. They will prob ask for a serial number though. If that fails as an ultimate last resort (of the free kind) join the uk forum zerogain and try PMing this guy named Timpy who has a pair.

Hi JackD201! Thanks for the info you gave me, I was finally able to reach Roger thru the ZEROGAIN forum. He sent me the owner's manual of the speakers.

They're the ones who handle servicing for all MS speakers purchased before MS was bought by another company.

Again, thanks!
strings
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:02 pm

Cool! Glad I was able to help! :D
JackD201
Immortal

Re: Info on Mordaunt Short System 442

Postby Sapphire99 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:17 pm

Hey Strings. I own a pair ofthe system 442 myself. I would be extremely happyif you could send me the owner manual.

Per
Sapphire99

Return to Speakers