Records and Recordings

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Postby jadis » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:06 pm

Jon Agner wrote:
jadis wrote:Image

This is one great album for fans of Roberta Flack. Such a well recorded 'ordinary' album. I was taken by the sonics of this one, the balance, the voice of Flack is recorded in such a musically lush manner that I can't help but to play it over and over again. The title song is worth the entire price of the album, imo...and the following cut Jesse is superb too.

Jadis,

After you told me 'bout Roberta Flack over coffee last week, I listened to this LP a few night ago and I agree, this is a good recording (I think this was chosen grammy song of the year during it's release).
Cheers.

I was just thinking about that fact that that song won the Grammy song of the year then but wasn't sure. Good to know. My memory is refreshed.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby audiophileman2002 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:19 pm

Hi, although Roberta Flack was credited for the popularity of the song 'Killing Me Softly' released in late Jan '73, it was the feelings of Lori Lieberman that actually was the basis of the final version of the song written by Gimbel with music by Fox. It was on a flight to the East Coast where RF heard the song by Lieberman and decided that she would like to do a version. As a comparison, I suggest you also listen to the earlier version sung by Lori Lieberman in her self titled LP on Capitol released in '72 but recorded I believe in '71. Lori Lieberman has also two LPs released by Pope Music and still being pressed by Analogue Productions, A Thousand Dreams and Home of Whispers. She has a great refreshing voice and the recordings were exquisitely done - a must hear for the audiophile.
Last edited by audiophileman2002 on Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
audiophileman2002
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:01 am

audiophileman2002,

thanks again for sharing. i had those 2 Lori CDs you mentioned and i really enjoyed them then. she has nice voice. now i understand why she had 'killing me softly' in of of them. and she sung it real nice. am gonna shop around for her LP. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby audiophileman2002 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:22 am

Jadis,
In case you still don't have this, it is a great reference CD, very well recorded. Tous les Matins du Monde music of Marin Marais, St. Colombe, Francois Couperin, Jean-Baptiste Lully under the musical direction of Jordi Savall under the AliaVox label.
[img][img]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/audiophileman2002/DSC01202.jpg[/img]

[/img]
audiophileman2002
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:46 pm

Thanks for the info, audiophileman. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:02 am

Excellent sounding LPs from EMI, Decca, and DG.

Many years ago, I heard his LP, Skater's Waltz by Emile Waldteufel in an old friend's house and learned that this was one of his reference orchestral recordings. And I immediately knew why. For lovers of waltzes,this recording is a treat. Not easy to find a clean copy but finally I did a few years back and the music is vibrant and exciting. The strings are sweet, lush and so smooth. This is even a good test for soundstage width and depth, with very good separation of instruments.

I heard this great double bass concerto at Mr. Sensible's old house being played on the Quad ESLs and I could never forget the spectacular sound it produced. This LP is in fact a gift from my good friend Mr Sensible and I am very indebted to him for this extra copy of his as I could not find it anywhere. There are few double bass concertos and there are even fewer 'good' double bass concertos, and this is my favorite. The fact that it was played by The Academy of St Martin in the Fields conducted by Sir Neville Marriner says a lot about this LP. This is a treasure in my books.

For fans of Eine Kleine Nachmusik, this is a superb version, by EMI, and is the only version I retain now. Sweet, delicate and very fine rendition of the very popular chamber piece, with bonus cuts from Hayden, etc.

I got this ages ago in a record bar beside Unimart (the good old days). This one is one of the last to be recorded using the analog technique by DG which later on went on prolific production with the digital process. And this one sounds 'analogue'. :) I had many of their digital albums then and although it sounded clearer and more dynamic, the hardness is evident when compared to their old analogue recordings. The Four Seasons need no introduction to chamber music lovers, and this is an excellent version, conducted by no less than the legendary Hebert von Karajan with the Berliner Philharmoniker.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Jon Agner » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:47 pm

jadis wrote:Image

11. Friends of Carlotta - Live in Studio. (produced by CLEARAUDIO)
Mastered by Gunther Pauler, pressed in Germany,180g

Another German pressing, another beauty...Songs like
How deep is your love, Hello, In the Air tonight, Time after time,
recorded in excellent fashion, I was smiling while listening....
Got it from YK in HK. You wonder why it's not in RP?????? (ahem)

Jadis,

If you know of somebody who wants to sell their copy of FOC, let me know. Somebody badly wants this LP after he heard me play it.

Thanks.
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:58 pm

Sure thing, Jon. Will let you know if a copy comes along.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:12 pm

CASCADES REVISITED

A friend of mine dropped by and brought with him a US pressed copy of The Cascades' Rythym of the Rain. The first US MINT copy I have ever seen. Great chance to do an A-B comparison with my identical but local Valiant stereo copy. His cover alone is of the light blue and black shade while mine is green and black. The label of the vinyl is different too, as the local copy has a bigger shield logo. But what matters is the sound.....This US pressed one sounds much finer , and has lesser grain on the vocals than my local copy. My copy is clean sounding, devoid of ticks and pops, so I can clearly hear the 'grain' in mine. The soundstage too is deeper in the US copy, and I feel overall is it the better sounding one. It is mind boggling how an 60s LP can still be at mint as this US copy. And I should say, considering the all songs are relatively enjoyable, I don't blame people for still paying this kind of price for a mint copy of this beautiful album.

The US pressed copy. Cover followed by label on vinyl :

The Local pressed copy. Cover followed by label on vinyl:
Last edited by jadis on Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby audiophileman2002 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:08 pm

Maybe it is true that the record companies over there over pressed the master disc and unfortunately you got the copy that came from the over pressing. Important thing sometimes is you have the music if you don't want to pay an arm and a leg for the near mint copy of the US pressing which goes for about $100.00 now.
audiophileman2002
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:25 am

audiophileman2002,

on my last view about 2 weeks ago, a mint US copy was at $300 on a BUY-IT-NOW basis on ebay.
jadis
Legend
Legend

re

Postby discophile » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:58 pm

bugsy wrote:Hi Jad,

It is a lovely sight to look at a mint copy of a highly collectible LP. Thanks for showing off a late 60's pressing of a U.S. copy and a Philippine issue. Just for you to know that the original pressing of the LP is the blue label :)

bugsy

hi, is the rhythm of the rain blue label the 1st pressing?? Correct me if im wrong but i think Valiant issued its 1st pressings on the dark maroon label like the one posted by jadis.
discophile
Citizen
Citizen

Location: the desert of the horse with no name in the land of make believe

Postby jadis » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:55 am

This is a fantastic jazz fusion record. Fans of Bob James and Earl Klugh will surely have a treat with this half speed mastered version. The first cut of side 1, Kari, is truly spectacular. I have never heard jazz fusion recorded this way. Very dynamic without boom or blur, drums are super tight and low frequencies produced here actually were among the lowest I ever heard thru my 2 way Maggies which I never thought it could produce.
The guitar playing of Earl Klugh is almost breathtaking. Highs are extended and smooth in this album, and piano and keyboard playing of Bob James sounds crisp and clear...What else can I say?....Very enjoyable...My hats off to CBS Half Speeds.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby audiophileman2002 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:04 am

These are the other Bob James and Earl Klugh on CBS Mastersound and Mobile Fidelity. I like particularly for very late night listening Earl Klugh's 'Late Night Guitar'.
[img][img]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/audiophileman2002/DSC01219.jpg[/img][/img]
audiophileman2002
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby audiophileman2002 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:21 am

The sequel to the Earl Klugh 'Late Night Guitar' is his album 'Nightsongs' ...'More Late Night Guitar'.
[img][img]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/audiophileman2002/DSC01221.jpg[/img][/img]
audiophileman2002
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:59 am

audiophileman2002,

great collection! thanks for sharing. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby audiophileman2002 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:21 am

Thank you. Actually good that you came to that post and gave me a reminder about those LPs, haven't played them I guess in 2 years. Playing 'One on One' now then I'll play the 2 Earl Klugh LPs 'Late Night Guitar' and 'Nightsongs', then to the sack.
audiophileman2002
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:28 pm

The Twin Pillars of M&K Realtime Direct to Disc Jazz

FOR DUKE - RT-101

This is one LP that I've had for 18 years and each time I play it, it is like I'm playing it for the first time and being bowled over by its stupendous musicality. To start with, I'm not a mainstream jazz fan by any standards, but this one I can listen to day in and day out and if I have to own one jazz album, it's got to be this. Here, Bill Berry with his all star band like Ray Brown, Scott Hamilton, etc. plays tunes by Ellington like Mood Indigo, Satin Doll, Cotton Tail, and more. The music is as lively as it can get, and the sonics....boy, the sonics....one has to hear it to believe it. I've played this for many many friends who would marvel at such a great recording. It has been in HPs Baker's Dozen since the early 80s and that was really the main reason why I bought a copy. And it leaves no doubt in my mind why it is there. It is an all time great jazz LP.

FATHA - Earl Fatha Hines Plays the Hits He Missed - RT-105

I got this LP at the same time as the For Duke and at that time, I really did not know which was better among the 2. Cuts here include Blue Monk,
Sophisticated Lady, Humoresque, the Preacher, Misty, etc. My favorite here is Misty. When I had a pivoted Sumiko MMT arm and a Monster Alpha2 cartridge, the track was a torture test for mistracking when Hines would rabidly hit the piano keys towards the middle of this cut. Good thing my ET2 tracked it better because this is a fantastic rendition of Misty. Again, I have never gotten tired of listening to this track, and this album after all these years. The piano is very airy, crisp and clear, and the harmonics very faithful to what a true piano is like. And dynamics is excellent, with soft to loud transients rendered in a clean and transparent fashion. A super album.

jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby audiophileman2002 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:10 pm

The Bill Berry album must be great, Ray Brown and Scott Hamilton are there. I really enjoy his bass and just recently played several LPs where he was there, L.A. 4 on Concord Jazz (there are 4 with Jeff Hamilton on drums replacing Shelley Mann and 2 with Shelley Mann) also on East Wind 'Pavane Pour Une Infante Defunte'. Ray Brown has a recent re-pressed 'Soular Energy' on Groove Note which is great.
If you like this kind of mainstream jazz, get the LPs made by jazz artists before the early sixties ('63). Miles Davis, John Coltrane et al shifted their style to avantgarde thereafter. For example, Miles Davies 'Someday My Prince Will Come' on MOFI is great and 'Kind of Blue' repressed by Classic. John Coltrane 'Ballads', with Johnny Hartman and 'Lush Life'. By mid sixties, these artists were literally starving and possibly why they thought of changing the style to see if they can sell more records. Also the rock and roll was changing to rock with the emergence of groups like the Rolling Stones, Grateful Dead and artists like Jimi Hendrix, Van Morrison, etc. The whole musical scenario was evolving as one can say.
audiophileman2002
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby audiophileman2002 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:02 am

If you like the song 'Misty' you should try to listen to the original version done by the composer Erroll Garner.
[img][img]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/audiophileman2002/DSC01223.jpg[/img][/img]
audiophileman2002
Fanatic
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Jadis' Corner