Pinoy LS3/5A Gallery

Stable

Postby Mr. Plumber » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:51 pm

:) Thanks for posting Grant.
:) My apologies for the "Firing Squad" set up. Was in a hurry before the my gang of three arrives from school.

James, i only have three pairs of Spendor. Left most is an LS1 & right most is Ho's.

All of them came from friends. Friendly prices din.

My humble set up.
Technics SL1200 & SL3200
Cayin CD 22
Sansui AU 111 Integrated Tube Amp
Holy Valve Monoblocks
Mogami Cables
DIY IC (Monster Cables), among others.
Couple of DIY SE & PP Amps, including the Wired State 2A3.
And a very comfortable listening chair.

Thanks,

:) mp
Mr. Plumber
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ichabod » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:05 am

Three pairs and you think each pair sounds different from the other? It would be interesting to hear about that.

I see that you have the foundation stands which are 24"? Do you listen at that height?

With my spendors I can't. The sound gets too boomy even away from walls. So I've discarded them and went back to my 29 " stands. The LS could breathe better! However room furnishings like a big rug can dampen it some more using those 24 inchers.

Just a quick thought there on height and stands.
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Stands

Postby Mr. Plumber » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:42 am

:) The three all sounds very much alike (of course). However, like everyboby else, i too have a preference. Of the three, my fav is the Classic, Gold Tag Mono wire (left most of the three in the picture). I find it a tad more mellow over the two. Is it because it is much older than the two? One can only wonder.

The stand is 24 incher, and since that is all i have, i use it. I've tried Sound Mechanics Stands before (variable height). To me there was no discernible difference. Again, it must be remembered that my listening environment is full of compromises. Like most Hong Kong flats, it is small & diamond shaped. Stuffing is what happens to be there. We work with what we have.

:) Kung Hei Fat Choi
:) mp
Mr. Plumber
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ichabod » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:42 pm

My LS now is in a smaller space and I listen to them at a long wall set-up. You're right! The LS can work in smaller places too. And bigger spaces too like Oscar's.

But ideally, you need to get the front wall was far as possible, and listen nearfield with 29 inches stands. There's more midrange bloom and that clarity all together! Something that the altecs rival but that's another story.
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

I miss my Harbeth LS3/5a speakers.

Postby DY1VCN » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:20 pm

Just reading your posts brings back sweet memories of my long lost Harbeth LS3/5A.

It was a pair I purchased in Hong Kong in 1981, if I was not mistaken. I was only 16 then. It was my first love. It was my first...my first pair of speakers.

I wonder if the main man still has it. I tried to buy it back but he would not let me.

I really regret having sold it. I hope it is still alive and making music.
DY1VCN

Postby stefan lim » Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:54 pm

Hello LS lovers ..

Here is a pic of my setup which I have taken on my Singapore apartment where I work.

Image Looking to upgrade my amp soon.
stefan lim

Postby audiobuds » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:24 pm

audiobuds EAR conditioning speaker

harbeth mono wire S/N H3264 A/B

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4314726&a=31811222&f=0&vt=vp&pw=

thanks for viewing 8)
audiobuds
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mozilla » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:31 am

Thanks for joining in Stefan. Care to share the specs of your system in this format?

WS User: xxx

IF SYSTEM PIC:

LS3/5A shown: xx
Stands: xx
AB-1: (if any) xx

Power Amp: xx
Preamp: xx
Source: xx
Cables: xx
Others: xx

Remarks: xx

IF UNIT PIC:

Brand: xx
Impedance: xx
Serial Number: xx
Finish: xx
Others: xx
mozilla

Postby mozilla » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:32 am

Congrats Mitch! Topnotcher ata yan in KK's LS3/5A shootout ah.
mozilla

Postby Killer Mike » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:53 am

nice system :)
Killer Mike
Legend
Legend

Postby ichabod » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:59 pm

Ls3/5A users, there's a discussion going on right now at the LS forum whether subs are indeed necessary on the LS 3/5A. Rodneps posted something you may want to read.

Let's keep this forum alive. If you cant or wouldn't want anything too technical on the LS, at least maybe a post or two on the kind of music you heard lately that sent goose bumps to your golden ears when listening to your LS.

I'll begin. Mishka Adam's "Body and Soul, "Summertime," and "God Bless the Child," are songs that make my hairs stand on end. Intense, authoritative, and soulful!
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby cia » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:57 pm

Hi Ichabod,
On the subject of subs for the LS35A, I tried using my REL Q150e with the Rogers. What improved was the bass (obvious ba) but felt that imaging and soundstaging suffered. For me, it was a choice of better bass or imaging. I prefer better imaging than more bass since the bass I get from the Rogers is satisfactory. I guess it also depends also on what music one prefers.
cia
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mozilla » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:48 pm

CIA,

What was your cutoff point for the sub?
mozilla

Postby cia » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:26 pm

mozilla wrote:CIA,

What was your cutoff point for the sub?

I set the cutoff at 80HZ. As you know the crossover settings on subs, at least on my sub, is not discreet. So I am sure there may have been an overlap but definiely no gap.
cia
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mozilla » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:32 am

Bai dito nalang tayo nagsagutan even tho we work in the same co. Busy mo kasi :D

Back to the topic. Adding subs to the LS takes a lot of tuning and patience in terms of cutoff points, the steepness of the rolloff setting and sub positioning. Some have reported that 70hz with a steep cutoff is ok. The isea is to allow the LS' bass to rolloff naturally & supplement it w/ the sub otherwise you'll run into probs w/ its designed bass hump.
mozilla

Postby ichabod » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:11 am

CIA, that could be a problem for some, a choice between more bass or just simply what is perceived or heard as "right" balance between extremes.

I go for what is intended in the design of the LS. Why that hump is there is a question that is bothersome to some. But let me quote a point stressed by Dr. R.L. Greene of TAS.

The quote is from his Harbeth review. "An impassioned audiophile friend went to Powell Hall in St. Louis, on my suggestion, while he was there on a business trip. Powell is acoustic heaven, of course, and the great acoustic designer Cyril Harris regards it as his masterpiece. My firend's reaction: 'There's so much midbass. It is muddy.' The absolute sound speaks...but do we listen?"

After all, how much of the lower actave bass passages are really in most program material to insist in going 20Hz.? Or even higher like 30Hz., 35 Hz., or 40Hz.?

Would one prefer it muddier? Epidermal perhaps?

And yes, how much time have we spent tuning those subs, getting them attached instead of detached to another speaker I'm merely asking. This is not again a shot at using subs if you prefer them. Still, to sub or not to sub with the LS will always remain a question indeed!
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ichabod » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:27 am

If I may add another quote from Dr. Greene. This concerns the prevailing "audiophile taste" or "preference" for sound which I guess many speaker manufacturers kowtow to.

Quote: "A low point in this sad story was the stand that lifted the Quad 63 a couple of feet off the floor; resulting in a depression like the Grand Canyon in the 100-300 Hz range. This absurdity was praise by the audio press as making the speakers extremely transparent, when in fact what it did was to make it sound like a bad car radio."

In one sense, I read this as kind of justifying a hump in the LS. It's a small speaker(s) but as VD puts it, he keeps scratching his head (in amazement I think?) why it sounds "big." VD and I use different vintage amps, and the LS in my Pilot SA 232 and Eico HF 85 is indeed a swell too! Mine without the benefit of a sub.
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby cia » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:34 am

Mozilla and Ichabod,

For me the bottom line is maganda ba sa akin ang tunog ng LS35A with sub or not. I prefer listening to them without the sub. Then again, some LS35A owners prefer them with sub. Basta happy tayong lahat with what we hear from our individual system, hindi kailangan mag-resign. Opps OT na iyan.
cia
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ichabod » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:40 am

Correck ka dyan! I prefer them without subs too! It's not the sound of the LS thatmakes us happy after all, it's the music. Bonus lang ang speakers that it enhances the nuances of your favorite piece. Bragging rights din na man for some coz it's hard to source out an LS without paying a price for it. A case of antique speakers that did it "right' ba? I've seen the list of broadcast user other than the BBC, ang dami including NBC. What better compliment for the BBC LS 3/5A. They all want the pesky Brit taste!
ichabod
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby stefan lim » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:25 pm

My subs AB-1's are in transit to Singapore till then I have hooked them up at my reliable Velo CHT15.. great results friends I cut off at 60 hz. On the subject if subs are needed I feel yes of course in order to get a better appreciation of sound within the upper 40-70 range but this is academic if the kind of music we listen to are the likes of Jacintha, and other vocalists wherein the subwoofer lower frequencies does not come into play in our listening.I am pasting the specs of my RA which I borrowed from their website for everyone's perusal.

And I would like to add that I own a lot of locally pressed PARI cd's yup even OPM's hehe, and the lack in the recording of these cd's are compensated by a proper subwoofer.

LS3/5A specifications
System type: 2 way infinite baffle
Sensitivity 1W@1M: 83dB
Frequency response +/- 3dB: 70-20kHz
Bass/mid range: KEF B110 computer selected and graded Nomex coil former
Tweeter: KEF T27 19mm mylar dome phase corrected
Crossover: Bi-wireable BBC FL6/38 26 precision element. Frequency 3kHz
Impedance: 11 ohms nominal
Recommended amplifier range: 25-80 watts
Cabinet: CNC precision manufactured from 12mm birch multi-ply critically damped
Finish: Real wood veneers in Walnut, Cherry, Black Ash or Rosewood.
Grille Black tygan

Adios for now..
stefan lim

PreviousNext

Return to LS3/5A