Records and Recordings

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Re: Robbie Williams - Swing When You're Winning

Postby jadis » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:52 pm

Jon Agner wrote:
jadis wrote:NICOLE KIDMAN - SOMETHING STUPID... :lol:

Well, that was a 'Freudian Slip' of a heading. The album is obviously Robbie Williams' but I had to force myself to buy this LP just for his duet with Nicole Kidman. What a lovely voice she has, and a super angelic 'retro' look to boot. Thankfully, the recording is quite good. I'll try to listen to the rest of Robbie's singles next year. :D

Below, the ravishing Nicole Kidman with Robbie Williams in a PG-13 video. I'm pretty sure there are no readers here who will be 'restricted' anyway. :lol:

This is one hard to find album :) it's still part of my bucket list :) and I agree on the sound quality of the album :) worth the purchase :)

Jon,

I just listened to the Nicole duet yesterday after fully warming up the system and I must say it sounds better than my other favorite female vocal recordings like Doris Day's Latin for Lovers or Eva Cassidy's Songbird. No edge and no brightness, and the bass is quite weighty with a nice soundstage. Nicole's voice is so lovely I wish she was in ALL the tracks. I use the other Robbie cuts for warm up, apologies to Robbie fans. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Re: Records and Recordings

Postby mullard88 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:01 pm

Hi Jadis,

I am glad you discovered this Robbie Williams album. Robbie Williams crossed over from rock to record this album. This is the only Robbie Williams album I listen to. I tried listening to his rock music but it was not really my type.
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:34 pm

mullard88 wrote:Hi Jadis,

I am glad you discovered this Robbie Williams album. Robbie Williams crossed over from rock to record this album. This is the only Robbie Williams album I listen to. I tried listening to his rock music but it was not really my type.

Hi Mullard88,

Oh, I didn't really know he came from the rock genre. Yes, this album is very listenable and good to have.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Flamenco Fever

Postby jadis » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:58 pm

FLAMENCO FEVER

I should say by now, this is the most popular M&K Direct to Disc I've ever encountered and rightfully so, it is a true collector's item as the price of a NM copy has not slipped a single cent from a decade ago and in fact has gone up to staggering levels to this day. The performers are literally stomping in front of you, though on certain cuts the recording can get very 'hot' (over-modulated). Overall, a stunning piece of work from the M&K team.

jadis
Legend
Legend

Earl Klugh - Dream Come True

Postby jadis » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:14 am

STILL GLUED TO KLUGH...

EARL KLUGH - DREAM COME TRUE

One of my favorite Earl Klugh records, I had to wait for this in sealed condition to make sure there is absolutely no groove wear, as this album takes me way back to my college days when i was such a fan of his that when he came to perform in Manila, I told myself I just have to be there no matter what, and I did. :inlove: By the end of the concert, I was so relaxed I was so slouched in my seat my friend had to help me up again. :lol: I have nothing much to say about this LP, once I started, there's no stopping till the end. I listened 'by heart'. The most famous track from this is 'Doc'. Just have to smile when it plays.

jadis
Legend
Legend

Re: Earl Klugh - Dream Come True

Postby Jazzmanoy » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:31 pm

jadis wrote:STILL GLUED TO KLUGH...

One of my favorite Earl Klugh records, I had to wait for this in sealed condition to make sure there is absolutely no groove wear, as this album takes me way back to my college days when i was such a fan of his that when he came to perform in Manila, I told myself I just have to be there no matter what, and I did. :inlove: By the end of the concert, I was so relaxed I was so slouched in my seat my friend had to help me up again. :lol: I have nothing much to say about this LP, once I started, there's no stopping till the end. I listened 'by heart'. The most famous track from this is 'Doc'. Just have to smile when it plays.

Unlike the others that mostly leave me in pure imagination, this one I can relate and agree with you. Earl Klugh is one artist I got quite a number of albums in my stash. One of my favorites. In fact his early compositions were the one used in my wedding video tape....oh well that was history back. :lol:
Jazzmanoy
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Earl Klugh - Dream Come True

Postby jadis » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:15 am

Jazzmanoy wrote:
jadis wrote:STILL GLUED TO KLUGH...

Unlike the others that mostly leave me in pure imagination, this one I can relate and agree with you. Earl Klugh is one artist I got quite a number of albums in my stash. One of my favorites. In fact his early compositions were the one used in my wedding video tape....oh well that was history back. :lol:

Hi Ed,

Thanks for chiming in. Well, I used to listen to Earl Klugh in cassette tapes in those times, more convenient. :) Another album that I cherish in tandem with Dream Come True is Heartstring - makes me remember the last time I was in Baguio. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Re: Flamenco Fever

Postby 99khan » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:24 am

Happy new year Philip!

A few days ago, Eric Lim (Acoustic Dimension) showed me a copy of this but unfortunately was unable to spin and give this a listen. Then two days ago, I paid Chito (quarterback) a visit and we listened to his copy of Bill Berry Ellington Allstars For Duke M&K RT-101. In a nutshell...WOW!!!

jadis wrote:FLAMENCO FEVER

I should say by now, this is the most popular M&K Direct to Disc I've ever encountered and rightfully so, it is a true collector's item as the price of a NM copy has not slipped a single cent from a decade ago and in fact has gone up to staggering levels to this day. The performers are literally stomping in front of you, though on certain cuts the recording can get very 'hot' (over-modulated). Overall, a stunning piece of work from the M&K team.

99khan
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:42 am

99khan wrote:Happy new year Philip!

A few days ago, Eric Lim (Acoustic Dimension) showed me a copy of this but unfortunately was unable to spin and give this a listen. Then two days ago, I paid Chito (quarterback) a visit and we listened to his copy of Bill Berry Ellington Allstars For Duke M&K RT-101. In a nutshell...WOW!!!

Happy New Year too, Nick. Yes, the For Duke is awesome. Everyone who heard it in place wanted a copy. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Jon Agner » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:49 pm

Si chief pupil la pocha pa rin :D :D :D
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:08 pm

Jon Agner wrote:

Si chief pupil la pocha pa rin :D :D :D

I hope to hear from the chief pupil soon. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Tango - Almeida Byrd

Postby jadis » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:28 am

IT TAKES 4 TO TANGO... :lol:

Somehow my order for this Almeida Byrd classic on Concord Records went ballistic. My spybird sent me more than I could dance. :lol: 2 'Promo' Copies, 1 NM, and 1 Factory Sealed, all originals. I decided to do an A-B-C comparison, can't do a "D" as I haven't have the heart to unseal the seal. :lol: Thankfully, the 2 promo copies sound the same to me, and both were a teeny bit better than the NM copy. This is a great recording to begin with, and having the 'promos' is just an icing on the cake.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Maconchy - Symphony for Double String Orchestra

Postby jadis » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:03 pm

ELIZABETH MACONCHY - SYMPHONY FOR DOUBLE STRING ORCHESTRA

Long time in the TAS/HP list, this is a great demo of how great a recording can be in terms of placement of instruments in the recorded sound field. Music may be a bit 'deep' for my own taste, but it can grow on me on more plays. Lyrita does excellent classical recordings.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Try to Remember

Postby jadis » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:53 am

Unsealing a 1966 classic from Brothers Four - Try to Remember

An old artifact like this should be cut with 'surgical precision'. :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Bruce Katz - Crescent Crawl

Postby jadis » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:04 am

CRAWLING BACK...

Once de-owned and now re-owned, I have the pleasure of experiencing the whole album again. Superb album in all respects, super drums, keyboards, organ and other jazz instruments. Some call it blues, I simply enjoy the jazz. 2 thumbs up!
jadis
Legend
Legend

Fascination

Postby jadis » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:58 am

FASCINATION

Pure beauty in an album. Jane Morgan's voice and the Troubadors' string playing is to DIE FOR. A classic not to be missed.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Julie London Promo Copy

Postby jadis » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:05 pm

Julie London - Promo Copy

The most intriguing copies now to me are the promo or demo pressings. They've consistently sounded better than the regular pressings among those that I have tested. Nothing like having a Julie London promo copy. :clap:

Promo tag in the cover:

Promo tag in the label:

:inlove: :inlove: :inlove:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Jazzmanoy » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:27 am

More intriguing is how you manage to have sourced such rare copies. I am myself in the hunt of promo/demo copies but secured only 3-4 pcs over the years. :lol:
Jazzmanoy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:17 pm

Jazzmanoy wrote:More intriguing is how you manage to have sourced such rare copies. I am myself in the hunt of promo/demo copies but secured only 3-4 pcs over the years. :lol:

Intriguing is the word, Ed. :D My motto is 'seek and ye will find'. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby sumnerbrowne » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:51 pm

jadis wrote:
Jazzmanoy wrote:More intriguing is how you manage to have sourced such rare copies. I am myself in the hunt of promo/demo copies but secured only 3-4 pcs over the years. :lol:

Intriguing is the word, Ed. :D My motto is 'seek and ye will find'. :lol:

Reminds me of its flipside from a wise admonition I once received from The Record Mogul: "Keep looking but don't be too impatient. It is when you stop obsessing about that long lost album that it will surface when you least expect it." :-)
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

PreviousNext

Return to Jadis' Corner