Records and Recordings

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Re: Shelly Manne - 2 3 4

Postby Jon Agner » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:54 am

jadis wrote:2 3 4, 2 3 4....

It's been a few weeks since the song Chandelier of Sia kept ringing in my head.

1,2,3 1,2,3
1,2,3 1,2,3
1,2,3 1,2,3

And now I stumble into an album called 2, 3, 4. So now my head is ringing with:

2,3,4 2,3,4 :lol:

Except that this is a jazz album so there is no actual chanting in it.

This one has Coleman Hawkins playing tenor sax and sounding pretty good too. Re-issued in the late 90s by Alto Analogue, in a limited edition numbered set, I just put the needle down and let it play till the very end. Manne once again displays his fantastic skills with the drum set. Great album to have.

Engineered and mastered by the legendary George Piros and Rudy Van Gelder. :clap:

Hmmm, I haven't listened to this album since I got this :) I'd better look for this in my shelf :)
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

The Judds - Give a Little Love

Postby jadis » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:42 pm

THE JUDDS - GIVE A LITTLE LOVE

I haven't been paying much attention to this family, all I was looking at was at Ashley Judd - most of her movies with Morgan Freeman and Tommy Lee Jones. :$ I have read about the musical Judds - mother and daughter Naomi and Wynonna, but never really got to hear their albums. I have not been paying attention. :( Somehow, while searching for something, I stumbled into a duet by Wynonna Judd and Bette Midler, singing Midler's own hit The Rose. That got my attention, specially Wynonna's voice.

So I began searching for her albums, most of them with her mom as they were simply called The Judds in all their musical endeavors then till Wynonna turned solo. A good friend tipped me to look for this one - Give A Little Love, as it was recorded well. I am getting to know the songs as most songs here are new to me, and I the recording is indeed very nice, laid back with beautiful and full bodied vocals. This pressing is from the German RCA Ariola company, the same one that had pressed Jennifer Warnes' Famous Blue Raincoat I had previously owned. This title was released in the US as 'Heartland' but has additional 5 cuts from their first mini album and a previously unreleased track called Give a Little Love to Me for a total of 15 songs. Who says CD has more cuts? :D Opening song is Elvis Presley's Don't Be Cruel. And I have a lot of songs here to listen to for the next few weeks. The Judds are giving a lot more songs aside from their 'little love'. :clap:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Re: The Judds - Give a Little Love

Postby Jon Agner » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:34 pm

jadis wrote:THE JUDDS - GIVE A LITTLE LOVE

I haven't been paying much attention to this family, all I was looking at was at Ashley Judd - most of her movies with Morgan Freeman and Tommy Lee Jones. :$ I have read about the musical Judds - mother and daughter Naomi and Wynonna, but never really got to hear their albums. I have not been paying attention. :( Somehow, while searching for something, I stumbled into a duet by Wynonna Judd and Bette Midler, singing Midler's own hit The Rose. That got my attention, specially Wynonna's voice.

So I began searching for her albums, most of them with her mom as they were simply called The Judds in all their musical endeavors then till Wynonna turned solo. A good friend tipped me to look for this one - Give A Little Love, as it was recorded well. I am getting to know the songs as most songs here are new to me, and I the recording is indeed very nice, laid back with beautiful and full bodied vocals. This pressing is from the German RCA Ariola company, the same one that had pressed Jennifer Warnes' Famous Blue Raincoat I had previously owned. This title was released in the US as 'Heartland' but has additional 5 cuts from their first mini album and a previously unreleased track called Give a Little Love to Me for a total of 15 songs. Who says CD has more cuts? :D Opening song is Elvis Presley's Don't Be Cruel. And I have a lot of songs here to listen to for the next few weeks. The Judds are giving a lot more songs aside from their 'little love'. :clap:

I first heard this at Dante's place a few years ago, I got hooked by their voices :)
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Re: The Judds - Give a Little Love

Postby jadis » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:24 pm

Jon Agner wrote:
I first heard this at Dante's place a few years ago, I got hooked by their voices :)

I can imagine. They are household names in country music.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Miles Davis Kind of Blue - Nimbus Supercut

Postby jadis » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:14 pm

Miles Away...in the Nimbus Clouds... :lol:

A legendary jazz artist and his legendary album, on a legendary Nimbus Supercut remastered pressing. They scale Mount Everest, and attain their mammoth feat. We fly the Nimbus clouds, pick the cream of the crop, and eat our cherries in our listening room. :rock:

jadis
Legend
Legend

Charlie Byrd - Byrd By the Sea

Postby jadis » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:57 am

A Byrd By The Sea...is better than 3 in the bush. :D

BYRD BY THE SEA

It's hard not to give in to the temptation of grabbing any Charlie Byrd albums. I can't just be a Byrd watcher, gotta by a Byrd lover. :lol: This one a 1974 original Fantasy Records production, featuring Charlie's late brother Joe on bass, and Bertell Knox on drums. Beautiful recording, and I got to bob my head as they played Killing Me Softly. I haven't played Side 2 yet, have to find out what the first track Salty Dog is all about. Maybe they picked up a dog from the sea. :lol:

jadis
Legend
Legend

Patricia Barber - Nightclub

Postby jadis » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:38 am

BARBER AND THE NIGHTCLUB

That sounds like a nice modus operandi in the 70s. Go to your Barber in the morning, and visit the Nightclub in the evening. :lol:

But this is the 2000s, di na uso yan, at least the nightclubs. Or maybe they just changed into another generic name, which I wouldn't know of. |( This is an original Music Direct Premonition pressing, with a stunningly wide and huge soundfield. Like Cafe Blue and Modern Cool, Patricia's back up band is fantastic, with crispy clarity and very deliberate tonal setting. Some good standard cuts are in here. Great album. :clap:

jadis
Legend
Legend

Tango Sealed

Postby jadis » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:16 am

TANGO! ORIGINAL FACTORY SEALED

Getting hold of a factory sealed original record kept and stored in its production state is fascinating indeed. One one hand we see the sign of 'old age', at least not antiquity itself (this is not close to a neolithic item) :lol: - wrinkles - which Belo and Associates like to fix...

But on another perspective, we see 'youth', that of something inside wanting to 'burst out' into this world ala Jurassic Park; here, the decade old plastic shrink is showing some pressure tear ala T-Rex's cracking egg. :D

Yes, the excitement of collecting records is letting my imagination run wild. Do I tear the sign of 'virginity' or let the aging wrinkles maintain its glory? :lol: By the way, the record inside sounds incredibly beautiful, it's a 'must-have'. :clap:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Re: Patricia Barber - Nightclub

Postby Voltraizer » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:16 pm

jadis wrote:Craving for Kabi...

Kabi Laretei

When Kabi Laretei plays the piano, I always feel there is emotion in the air. This Proprius beauty on Ingmar Bergman's Film Musik, from composers like Mozart and Handel is simply too beautiful not to finish once the first note strikes. I am always glued to my chair till the last note is played. Stunningly recorded by the geniuses in Sweden. And a 4-page gatefold cover is a nice collector's piece.

oh, this is one of my favorite piano lps....el paborito in fact, i even have the atr mastercut version...

jadis wrote:BARBER AND THE NIGHTCLUB

That sounds like a nice modus operandi in the 70s. Go to your Barber in the morning, and visit the Nightclub in the evening. :lol:

But this is the 2000s, di na uso yan, at least the nightclubs. Or maybe they just changed into another generic name, which I wouldn't know of. |( This is an original Music Direct Premonition pressing, with a stunningly wide and huge soundfield. Like Cafe Blue and Modern Cool, Patricia's back up band is fantastic, with crispy clarity and very deliberate tonal setting. Some good standard cuts are in here. Great album. :clap:

i assent... this is indeed a great album ..
btw, posted my pat bar lps here:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=13561&start=880
Voltraizer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Patricia Barber - Nightclub

Postby jadis » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:10 am

Voltraizer wrote:
jadis wrote:Craving for Kabi...

Kabi Laretei

When Kabi Laretei plays the piano, I always feel there is emotion in the air. This Proprius beauty on Ingmar Bergman's Film Musik, from composers like Mozart and Handel is simply too beautiful not to finish once the first note strikes. I am always glued to my chair till the last note is played. Stunningly recorded by the geniuses in Sweden. And a 4-page gatefold cover is a nice collector's piece.

oh, this is one of my favorite piano lps....el paborito in fact, i even have the atr mastercut version...

jadis wrote:BARBER AND THE NIGHTCLUB

i assent... this is indeed a great album ..
btw, posted my pat bar lps here:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=13561&start=880

Great to hear from you again, Louie. It was my ATR copy of Kabi that led me to find the original Proprius. Both are lovely. I have not put them side by side lately, I am enjoying my 'non-thinking cap' mode so far. Thanks also for sharing you 'Barber Stories' - mga kwentong barbero. :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Mongo Santamaria

Postby jadis » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:56 pm

THE MONGO DYNASTY... :lol:

MONGO SANTAMARIA AND FRIENDS - MAMBO MONGO

I love Afro-Cuban percussion music and Mongo Santamaria was one of the great ones. So when I saw his recording on Chesky, it was a quick grab. Dave Valentin and Hubert Laws guest played in this natural sounding album, with lots of air, space, and 3D palpability. My kind of music.

Mongo was really prolific in his own right. :clap:

jadis
Legend
Legend

Fidelity First - An Unrehearsed Experiment

Postby jadis » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:55 pm

Fidelity First - An Unrehearsed Experiment

This is the first recording from Fidelity First, no pun intended. The second one is the highly regarded Pigs Eye Jass that I have posted here a few years ago.

Being some sort of 'test record' utilizing pure music and not signal tones, the liner notes tell the listener what to listen for in a specific cut, but the moment I played this, I felt the music itself is very pleasant and enjoyable that I forgot to read what to look or listen for anymore. The tunes actually remind me of the cuts from Sheffield Lab's S9 album, lots of pop and standards and very lively.

Comparing this with Pigs Eye Jass, I would the this first one was a work in progress. The images sometimes lack the cut throat definition of Pigs Eye Jass though the tonal quality is quite on par. I still have to listen to this critically and with my best tubes as right now, my best tubes are in hibernation mode. I should make a proper assessment when the time comes.

The painful act of slicing a 'seal'. No pain, no gain, as they say. :lol:

jadis
Legend
Legend

Telefunken

Postby jadis » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:55 am

TELEFUNKEN RECORDING

When I hear the name Telefunken or see its logo somewhere, I get excited, parang nakokoryente, as the logo projects. :lol: So I picked up this record long ago just to hear how it sounds. There are a lot of brand names involved in the record, Teldec, Decca, could be produced in Hamburg or Holland, I am not so sure. But the sound, the solo instrument of the harpsichord being played here, is rich and pure. Can't ask for more.

jadis
Legend
Legend

Vinyl 'Bag'

Postby jadis » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:24 pm

When all those inner sleeves have been used, this semi-hard carry on case can be used to bring our prized vinyls to the office to play in our 'work' systems. :lol: Move over Hugo Boss, 10 prized vinyls inside will cost more than your leather bag. :D

jadis
Legend
Legend

Elgar - Symphony No. 2

Postby jadis » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:13 am

Elgar - Symphony No. 2

Symphonies to me are harder to put into words as to its musical content and this one by the British composer Edward Elgar is no exception. This one is the original UK EMI pressing as the Nimbus copy I had before was sealed and changed hands faster than the speed of light. :lol: Music is good and the recording is excellent. I'm surprised by a few moments of deep bass reproduction from this record. From the acclaimed EMI tandem of Christopher Bishop and Christopher Parker, it has to be heard to be appreciated.

jadis
Legend
Legend

PINK FLOYD 'WISH YOU WERE HERE' NIMBUS SUPERCUT

Postby jadis » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:51 pm

A WISH COME TRUE...

WISH YOU WERE HERE - NIMBUS SUPERCUT EDITION

The cover seems prophetic, one gets 'burned' somehow after owning and listening to this super duper version of what I would call 'light acid' music. :D I admit rock is not my genre but when I first heard this at the Lair many months ago (regular pressing), I thought it was lighter than Dark Side of the Moon, and though I could not 'relate' to it, I could 'listen' to it. :lol: Heard through the VR 11s last night, I think I understand the word 'high' though I've never been. :D Incredible sonics. :rock: :rock: :rock:
jadis
Legend
Legend

RR 1 - Guitar and ...

Postby jadis » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:57 am

RR-1 Guitar and...

As a fan of Reference Recordings' albums, I long for the day to see their first ever recording on LP. Never knew its title till now, nor seen its cover picture, till this one came with the small load recently. And it's a Direct to Disc endeavor by the RR team. Sounds really good. And a beautiful collector's piece.

jadis
Legend
Legend

Bruce Katz Band - Cresent Crawl

Postby jadis » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:48 am

BRUCE KATZ BAND - CRESCENT CRAWL

This is a long time out of print pure analogue LP from the Audioquest people. I first heard it in JAA's room a few years ago and the sonics just stuck in my head. Quite stunning with a wide and huge sound field and almost life like images. It's a 'cultish' collection piece as I read in the net and as this one has 'crawled' out of the 'own' bin, I have my eyes (and pocket) set on another copy. :lol:

jadis
Legend
Legend

Robbie Williams - Swing When You're Winning

Postby jadis » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:38 am

NICOLE KIDMAN - SOMETHING STUPID... :lol:

Well, that was a 'Freudian Slip' of a heading. The album is obviously Robbie Williams' but I had to force myself to buy this LP just for his duet with Nicole Kidman. What a lovely voice she has, and a super angelic 'retro' look to boot. Thankfully, the recording is quite good. I'll try to listen to the rest of Robbie's singles next year. :D

Below, the ravishing Nicole Kidman with Robbie Williams in a PG-13 video. I'm pretty sure there are no readers here who will be 'restricted' anyway. :lol:

jadis
Legend
Legend

Re: Robbie Williams - Swing When You're Winning

Postby Jon Agner » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:38 pm

jadis wrote:NICOLE KIDMAN - SOMETHING STUPID... :lol:

Well, that was a 'Freudian Slip' of a heading. The album is obviously Robbie Williams' but I had to force myself to buy this LP just for his duet with Nicole Kidman. What a lovely voice she has, and a super angelic 'retro' look to boot. Thankfully, the recording is quite good. I'll try to listen to the rest of Robbie's singles next year. :D

Below, the ravishing Nicole Kidman with Robbie Williams in a PG-13 video. I'm pretty sure there are no readers here who will be 'restricted' anyway. :lol:

This is one hard to find album :) it's still part of my bucket list :) and I agree on the sound quality of the album :) worth the purchase :)
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Jadis' Corner