jargons and other stuff

On ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you want to know about AUDIO but were afraid to ask!

Moderator: audiostar

jargons and other stuff

Postby tigercub72 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:43 pm

hello wired state! im planning to have a 2 channel set-up to replace my JVC mini compo cd/vcd player who has been in service for 15 years and finally gave. I ve been reading a lot of posts lately which got me interested in this new hobby but before i dive into this endeavor, may i ask you guys a few newbie questions:)

1. what is the difference between an amp,a pre amp and a receiver
2. what is a DAC and do i need it?
3. is there a 2 channel amp with a tuner?

im planning to have a simple 2 channel set up at first with a room for upgrdaes and maybe a turn table by the end of the year. my wife and i usually listens to our cd collection from jazz to pop and the radio hence the tuner. the set up should also accommodate my ipad(wired or wireless)for my spotify.

hope you guys can give me some tips:)

TIA!
tigercub72

Re: jargons and other stuff

Postby JackD201 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:29 pm

Welcome to WS tigercub

A preamp takes the small signal (1 to 2volts normally) from your source (CD Player, DVD player, output from MP3 player, laptop, phone, etc) via it's line stage and sends it to the power amplifier.

The power amplifier turns that small signal into a more powerful one and that in turn drives the coils inside your speaker. Together with the permanent magnet that makes the cones move.

A receiver has a preamp and amps built into one unit with the bonus of having a tuner. Receiver is short for radio receiver.

An integrated amp is a preamp or passive volume control and amps in one box without a tuner.

A full function preamp includes a phono stage along with the line stage.

A DAC is a Digital to Analog Converter. Pretty much every digital device has one built in. Some devices have digital outputs (Orange RCA) is SPDIF and the square output is called TOSLINK. These can be found in older CD players and DVD players and Cable set top boxes. Computers will typically allow you to output digital via USB. Using the digital outputs allow you to use a DAC of your choosing instead of the ones built in which are usually of lower quality in construction and performance. Strictly speaking you don't need a DAC but it is a route for improvement. Be careful not to send a DTS or Dolby Digital Signal to an audio DAC as this may cause damage.

Your iPad can be connected to the preamp, integrated amp or receiver with a mini phono to RCA cable via it's headphone jack. Some new receivers are equipped with Apple Airplay and will take streaming music from your iPad. If the receiver you choose doesn't have Airplay you can use an Apple TV and connect it either via analog outputs (mini phono to RCA) or via mini toslink to toslink if the receiver has a digital toslink input. You can also send this to a DAC with toslink in and send the analog output of that to one of the pre/integrated or receiver's analog input pairs.

Hope this helps and once again, Welcome to WS :)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby jundai15 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:38 pm

Great infor Sir JackD201, well explained. As for tigercub72 concerns, first I also had the same problem when my mini component broke down. Then I discovered Wiredstate thru a friend and got back on track listening to music again. Before I was only listening to cds. Then after reading the forums here and asking some questions on the newbie corner, here's my set-up now: Just pre owned stuff and nothing fancy. I wanna share this to keep it simple.

Technics SL-1600 MK2 Turntable

Technics SU-3050 Integrated Amplifier

Technics SB-D 5000 Speakers

DJ Mixer-not required but I use this to connect the Line B for Ipod. Felling DJ lang ako

Pioneer CD-DVD Player

Happy Hunting
jundai15
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:58 am

Jun,

Nakumpara mo na phonostage ng 3050 vs that of the mixer? Curious lang. :)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby jundai15 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:07 pm

JackD201 wrote:Jun,

Nakumpara mo na phonostage ng 3050 vs that of the mixer? Curious lang. :)

Hi sir JackD201, hindi ko po na-compare yung phonostage between my integrated amplifier and the mixer. The mixer was just collecting dust, so I decided to plug it and just in case na maka-score ng isa pang turntable. By the way, yung Technics SL-1600MK2 is directly plugged to the integrated amp, not to the mixer. Kay Hypertriode ko po pina-restore/calibrate yung amp and turntable 3 years ago or more. Yung dvd-cd player at ipod lang yung nakakabit dun sa mixer, line 1 and line 2 :)
jundai15
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jundai15 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:39 pm

Here is a guide for basic set-up with some images:

http://www.turntablelab.com/pages/begin ... turntables
jundai15
Citizen
Citizen

Postby tigercub72 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:17 pm

Thank you Jack! Very informative particularly for us newbies:)
tigercub72

Postby tigercub72 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:18 pm

Thank you jundai for the info and link:)
tigercub72

Postby JackD201 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:50 pm

@Jun - Ahhhh kung kay Master Rene mo pinatira yung amp sigurado talbog ang mixer ]:)

@tigercub - My pleasure Sir :)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby jundai15 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:28 am

JackD201 wrote:@Jun - Ahhhh kung kay Master Rene mo pinatira yung amp sigurado talbog ang mixer ]:)

@tigercub - My pleasure Sir :)

Tama kayo dyan sir JackD201 :)
jundai15
Citizen
Citizen

Postby onedown » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:38 am

tigercub72,
welcome to wiredstate. you might to drop by the november hifi show on nov 15 and nov 16.
onedown
Master
Master

Return to NEWBIE Corner