Records and Recordings

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Try to Remember - Brothers Four

Postby jadis » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:10 pm

TRY TO REMEMBER - BROTHERS FOUR

Due to the infamous 'port congestion' we have around here, the mother load took a really long time to hit the shores, that I could not remember that I ordered a copy of Try to Remember by The Brothers Four. :lol: This is a back up as my first one has been played to death for the past few years and as a little consolation for being patient, my west coast ninja partner found me an immaculately sealed copy. :clap: This is one very entertaining album from B4 and I look forward to undressing it. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Re: Records and Recordings

Postby JackD201 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:52 pm

Bring it and other mother lode items tomorrow at 2:30 Pare! Game na si dafos :D Okay O.W.N. yung Brothers Four. Kakahiya naman sa iyo kung sungkitin ko Phil :lol:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby jadis » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:55 pm

JackD201 wrote:Bring it and other mother lode items tomorrow at 2:30 Pare! Game na si dafos :D Okay O.W.N. yung Brothers Four. Kakahiya naman sa iyo kung sungkitin ko Phil :lol:

Unfortunately pare, I can't make it tomorrow afternoon as I have to drive my son to Aliw Theatre for a ballet as required by his prof in Asian Arts. I'll visit you one pm next week, gives me more time to grade and sort out what is O.W.N.E.D and what is to be de-o.w.n.e.d. too, kahapon lang dumating. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby JackD201 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:02 pm

Snaps! Okay Pare next time na lang :)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby jadis » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:07 pm

JackD201 wrote:Snaps! Okay Pare next time na lang :)

Yup pare. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Kabi Laretei

Postby jadis » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:59 pm

Craving for Kabi...

Kabi Laretei

When Kabi Laretei plays the piano, I always feel there is emotion in the air. This Proprius beauty on Ingmar Bergman's Film Musik, from composers like Mozart and Handel is simply too beautiful not to finish once the first note strikes. I am always glued to my chair till the last note is played. Stunningly recorded by the geniuses in Sweden. And a 4-page gatefold cover is a nice collector's piece.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Doris Day Letin For Lovers

Postby jadis » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:50 am

LATIN FOR LOVERS 1A :lol:

My favorite goodie goodie girl next door latin album is now available on a 1A/1A stamper. FIRST PRESSING! Parang Promo na rin. Woohoo! :D Can't wait to put on Sabor A Mi, di na mananalo ang local Trio Los Panchos ng Saisaki West Avenue dito. :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Arne Domnerus Kvartet

Postby jadis » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:46 pm

ARNE DOMNERUS KVARTET

Arne Domnerus of JATP and Antiphone Blues fame from the popular Proprius recordings comes alive in this jazz quartet album of some choice cuts from Kornet Har Sin Vila and other Swedish tunes. No vocals here but all soul of the music is reproduced in stunning recording quality. This will keep me company while waiting for the Vikings new season. They are really good in 'horn' instruments. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Re: Try to Remember - Brothers Four

Postby jadis » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:40 pm

jadis wrote:TRY TO REMEMBER - BROTHERS FOUR

Now I remember. These old Columbia 360 Stereo records are not only sealed on the cover, they seal the inner sleeves too with a perforated line for easy 'ripping off'. :lol:

I need to satisfy my curiosity if such is 100% true of this 1965 Brothers Four gem. Gusto ko i-slice ng konti, like 2-3 inches ang cover, and peek if the inner sleeves are indeed still sealed.

Voila! Oui Oui!

After seeing this, I dis not have the heart to slice the rest of the cover. :inlove: :lol:

I'll just leave it that way in the meantime till I am in a beast mode to rip everything off. Apparently I am not good at ripping. :D Back it goes to the 'epoxy shelf'. :D Laspagin muna ang luma! :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby TheAnalogSource » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:19 am

Which has better sonics Philip? Try to remember or the Beatles album? Personally I like this one.

Look what I found on fb, "motherload" is in fact used for things vinyl related hehe

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby jadis » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:07 am

TheAnalogSource wrote:Which has better sonics Philip? Try to remember or the Beatles album? Personally I like this one.

Well, that's a tough one, Noly. Push comes to shove I'd still say they're even, sonically speaking. The Beatles may be a bit more 'stuck' into the speakers but tonally they're even. It now depends on the songs. The Beatles is more of the 'walang tapon' type of album. And many people pick different songs there to be their favorite. Mine is Yesterday and If I Fell, and the Emperor tells me he'd pick Michelle over all others. I never met a Michelle in my grade school days. :D But going into the other album, Try to Remember is a fantastic song as well. Shoots you back to your youth without the need for hypnotic therapy or the sort. :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:43 am

TheAnalogSource wrote:Look what I found on fb, "motherload" is in fact used for things vinyl related hehe

And 'Motherload', TM, :D was first coined by the Emperor, when asking for its E.T.A. back then. :D

'O.W.N.', on the other hand, is TM'ed to yours truly, when I had to segregate the motherload into my own orders and those to be 'propagated' to the brethen. :lol: Mahirap nang matangay ng di oras... :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Re: Arne Domnerus Kvartet

Postby jadis » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:44 pm

jadis wrote:ARNE DOMNERUS KVARTET

Arne Domnerus of JATP and Antiphone Blues fame from the popular Proprius recordings comes alive in this jazz quartet album of some choice cuts from Kornet Har Sin Vila and other Swedish tunes. No vocals here but all soul of the music is reproduced in stunning recording quality. This will keep me company while waiting for the Vikings new season. They are really good in 'horn' instruments. :lol:

Here's a cut from the above mentioned album. Let's go Arne!

jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Jazzmanoy » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:28 pm

I must say that this thread is very interesting and inspiring. Every review that I find a copy in my stash makes me understand its "character" thus appreciate it more. Hard part of this thread is making me wish I have a copy of each vinyl under review. Even harder is the hunt for it. More power and keep them coming! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Jazzmanoy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:30 pm

Jazzmanoy wrote:I must say that this thread is very interesting and inspiring. Every review that I find a copy in my stash makes me understand its "character" thus appreciate it more. Hard part of this thread is making me wish I have a copy of each vinyl under review. Even harder is the hunt for it. More power and keep them coming! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks for chiming in, Ed. I'm always gratified when I hear and read about WS members appreciating this thread. :) Indeed, the hunt for good black vinyl is getting harder by the year. Thus, more fortitude is needed. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Jon Agner » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:22 pm

jadis wrote:
Jazzmanoy wrote:I must say that this thread is very interesting and inspiring. Every review that I find a copy in my stash makes me understand its "character" thus appreciate it more. Hard part of this thread is making me wish I have a copy of each vinyl under review. Even harder is the hunt for it. More power and keep them coming! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks for chiming in, Ed. I'm always gratified when I hear and read about WS members appreciating this thread. :) Indeed, the hunt for good black vinyl is getting harder by the year. Thus, more fortitude is needed. :lol:

True :( Here in Daet, prices of vinyl suddenly went up :o :( :( :(
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:14 pm

Jon Agner wrote:
jadis wrote:

Now that you mentioned it, another alibi for me to delay a trip to my father in law's resthouse there. Mahal ang plaka nyo dyan, dad!. :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Jon Agner » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:43 pm

jadis wrote:
Jon Agner wrote:
jadis wrote:[

Now that you mentioned it, another alibi for me to delay a trip to my father in law's resthouse there. Mahal ang plaka nyo dyan, dad!. :D

Still hoping 'though that I can somehow get a Koetsu or other vintage jap cartridges at the thrift shops here :) That I consider the real motherload :D :D :D
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:14 pm

Jon Agner wrote:
jadis wrote:
Jon Agner wrote:[

Still hoping 'though that I can somehow get a Koetsu or other vintage jap cartridges at the thrift shops here :) That I consider the real motherload :D :D :D

Jon, that will be the load of the century! It will even shame the not yet found Yamashita treasure. :D

And I'm going to have to start searching for buses with beds and restroom.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Shelly Manne - 2 3 4

Postby jadis » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:59 am

2 3 4, 2 3 4....

It's been a few weeks since the song Chandelier of Sia kept ringing in my head.

1,2,3 1,2,3
1,2,3 1,2,3
1,2,3 1,2,3

And now I stumble into an album called 2, 3, 4. So now my head is ringing with:

2,3,4 2,3,4 :lol:

Except that this is a jazz album so there is no actual chanting in it.

This one has Coleman Hawkins playing tenor sax and sounding pretty good too. Re-issued in the late 90s by Alto Analogue, in a limited edition numbered set, I just put the needle down and let it play till the very end. Manne once again displays his fantastic skills with the drum set. Great album to have.

Engineered and mastered by the legendary George Piros and Rudy Van Gelder. :clap:

jadis
Legend
Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Jadis' Corner