My Mcintosh goes analog

For Vinyl and Record lovers: turntables, cartridges, etc.

Moderator: dante

My Mcintosh goes analog

Postby alfa » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:28 pm

My one year old Preamp and power amp Mcintosh have been fed with digital music since acquisition. They have been fed with HD music successively through a PC, PC to a SCHIIT DAC, Cambdridge NAS then eventually a LINN Majik DSM. This provided pure pleasure.

Two months ago on a vacation I bought several original british press records consisting of Vaughan, Billie Holiday, Basie and the Beatles among others. Because of this I was forced to buy a turntable and bought an entry Denon DP300F just to listen to them. With the stock cartridge the music was good if not so..so, but you could here the potential.

I recently bought an entry 2M red Ortofon Cartridge on a trip out. After installing the cartridge the music bloomed. Suddenly my digital music sounded clinical and artificial by comparison. I used to wonder at vinyl heads who seemingly wasted time and money on old tech.. well now in know why :o

The Vinyl held its own "pound per pound" against the LINN. The soundstage was spread wide, the highs crisp and instruments were separated from each other, you can hear each instrument distinctly and clearly. This was all on an entry deck and cart

I never believed in snake oil so I always spent on the entry level first, hence the entry level turntable and cartridge but with this sonic revelation I want to upgrade my deck and cartridge as far as my budget will suffice... I never thought vinyl could beat my LINN.
alfa
Citizen
Citizen

Re: My Mcintosh goes analog

Postby TheAnalogSource » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:58 pm

Time to get this....

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby alfa » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:30 pm

TheAnalogSource wrote:Time to get this....

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Baby steps Lang muna... I think that's a big jump from my Denon turntable ha ha..
alfa
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:49 am

Oh no! Another vinyl shark is swimming in the waters off wiredstate bay! Congrats alfa!
JackD201
Immortal

Postby jadis » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:08 pm

That's good news, Alfa. Somewhere down the road, you might bump into the venerable LINN Sondek turntable. It will be a good experience. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby alfa » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:51 pm

jadis wrote:That's good news, Alfa. Somewhere down the road, you might bump into the venerable LINN Sondek turntable. It will be a good experience. :)

I saw one on a trip and was given a good deal but I wasn't into vinyl yet when I saw the Sondek. On hindsight it's a good thing I didn't get it as there's a dealer pala here
alfa
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Mamimili » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:06 pm

as far as my budget will suffice...you will never reach that point, there is always one more step
Mamimili
Master
Master

Return to Analog