Polyeast JDC - short review

For Vinyl and Record lovers: turntables, cartridges, etc.

Moderator: dante

Polyeast JDC - short review

Postby muypogi » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:21 pm

Hi. Finally had the time to do a much needed (to me) review of the new JDC LP released by Polyeast.

As before, I can only compare the album vs the sound quality of the LPs I already own, so it was newly-pressed JDC vs orig JDC Kahit Anong Mangyari vs old copy of Pinoy Rock compilation, seen here below:

As before as well, I did A/B listening between chosen songs, repeating as needed between LPs until satisfied. Songs used:

1) Himig Natin (found in Pinoy Rock)
2) Balong Malalim (found in Pinoy Rock)
3) No Touch (found in Kahit Anong Mangyari)
4) Beep Beep (found in Pinoy Rock)

First off, as opposed to some people, I like the album art design. Of course, material quality could be much better, as graphics would have been much better using thicker glossy stock, but overall I think this is my favourite "new" LP art from Polyeast. However, I'd echo the sentiments of some people as well that they should at least include the songs on the label of the LP, to make skipping tracks easier.

And finally, equipment used:

1) Lenco L75 s/18 with stock s-arm
2) Benz Glider Cart on Jelco headshell
3) Leben CS300 amp
4) Harbeth Compact 7
5) EE Minimax Phono

First, the good:

Apart from the album art, the album also has a fairly good song selection, though they did miss Titsers Enemi #1, which for me is a very significant exclusion. Other than that, on a casual listening basis, the album's SQ is not so bad. In fact, if you were a JDC fan and did not have the money and/or patience to hunt down those orig LPs, this album is a very nice intro to the band. Assuming you have not heard the orig LPs, then the new press LP should suit you very well indeed.

Which brings me to the other side of this LP . . .

Doing the A/B between LP, it struck me as how more listenable the old albums were, despite their age. It seemed the new press, though admittedly cleaner-sounding and devoid of any ticks and pops, seemed less involving. To nitpick though:

1) Himig Natin (found in Pinoy Rock)
2) Balong Malalim (found in Pinoy Rock)

It was surprising to me at how I found the instrumental separation BETTER in the old LP of Pinoy Rock, despite the LP being VG+ I suppose, with the wear and tear from being almost 40 years old . . . The new press LP sounded only a bit more detailed, yet the instruments seemed to all stick together, as the multiple guitars in the song somehow sounded mashed together.

3) No Touch (found in Kahit Anong Mangyari)
4) Beep Beep (found in Pinoy Rock)

For No Touch, I found the new LP press a bit more sterile, but slightly more tinny vs the orig press. Parang nawala yung attack nung intro ng No Touch with the new LP press. Ditto with Beep Beep, as the guitar intro seemed less engaging. . .

In all, I would really commend Polyeast for taking the new OPM vinyl issues this far. And admittedly, SQ has been improving.

However, I think the missing link here is that while they may have the orig source material, something gets lost in translation when it goes to Germany (where I believe they press this. Maybe they should accompany the master tapes with the original LPs, so that the guys doing the LP remaster have a general idea on how it was done . . . better would be to track down those old fogeys who did the original OPM mastering and have them serve as advisors . .

Just my 2 centavos worth . . .
muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Polyeast JDC - short review

Postby romeobabao » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:38 pm

very very good review of the album....i like it.... the review ....not the new album ha ha ha ha
romeobabao
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:23 pm

It would be great if someone familiar with the project from Poly East could answer some questions. I see a couple of possible red flags just looking at the jacket.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby vinylforever » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:11 pm

I seriously doubt that these were mixed from original master tapes. at best from cd or maybe a pristine vinyl copy. I heard from an insider that most of the cd conversions of opm music are of vinyl origins. So it's vinyl to cd then back to vinyl. How you like them reissues now?
vinylforever

Postby JackD201 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:15 pm

That is my suspicion as well.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby dnk » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:58 pm

muypogi wrote:Image

Just nit-picking the artwork, the money is not period correct.
dnk
Citizen
Citizen

Return to Analog