Optimal Volume setting on Amp, itunes and PC

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

Optimal Volume setting on Amp, itunes and PC

Postby qguy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:00 am

Is there an optimal way of setting the gain on the Amp and PC ? Right now the laptop volume is at max, the iTunes volume is normally at the half position to nearly max out position. I could increase the amplifiers gain (at 11 position, analog potentiometer) so I can lower the iTunes volume position. The iTunes volume control is the one I use to lower or increase the spl.
qguy
Master
Master

Re: Optimal Volume setting on Amp, itunes and PC

Postby egay » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:35 pm

Q,
I'm not sure if this will help, but you can try:

What I've learned from Wadia was that they recommend putting the Wadia volume to MAXIMUM and let the preamp do the control.
With my Oracle DAC/PRE now, it is set to maximum output when operated as purely DAC, and it sounds much, much better thorough a preamp (at least in my system).

So I follow this same concept in my digital playback: Maximum volume for the dbPoweramp, Maximum volume for the PC, the USB-SPDIF, then the DAC is at 'fixed' mode, and the preamp does the control. I use the same when I was using my MacBook.

This seems logical because I think the variables (no pun intended) are lessened :hai:

And I enjoy the playback more.
in fact, i seem to be enjoying it equally - if not more - like my standard digital playbacks. maybe the convenience kicks in; but SQ is "there" so i think one day my CDs/SACDs will take 2nd place or perhaps rest...

.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby hshrader » Fri May 15, 2015 7:17 am

Agree with Egay
hshrader
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Mon May 18, 2015 12:27 am

If you are using the analog outputs of your computer I would not recommend that it be set to maximum. It stresses the poor little 3 buck chips. If you are using an external DAC then I would recommend that the volume be set at max or if using a player on top of iTunes like Amarra, bypass the volume control altogether.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby zenaudio » Mon May 18, 2015 7:06 pm

Jack, by analog outputs you mean the headphone out?
Yes, I lower the volume a tad when using this, at full volume it becomes a "wall of sound" and lose whatever is left of subtle dynamics.
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Tue May 19, 2015 10:11 pm

Hi Nes, yes the headphone out :)
JackD201
Immortal

Return to Digital