Records and Recordings

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Re: Records and Recordings

Postby jadis » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:04 am

plasticman wrote:
kabubi wrote:i bought that album simply for the picture of Rebecca Pidgeon on the cover :angel:

those eyes!
and those freckles!!!

Master kabubi,

Benta mo na sa akin yung lp. You can keep the cover! :lol:

Pwede din i-bid out yung cover, per number of freckles. :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Lori Lieberman

Postby jadis » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:52 am

OH LORI....

LORI LIEBERMAN - HOME OF WHISPERS /A THOUSAND DREAMS

I don't think the Alessi Brothers had this Lori in mind in 1977. :lol: These 2 albums, I picked up in CD format many years ago and now found it in its 180g AP version. Engineered by Mark Levinson and using top Cello and Nagra electronics and as expected, the recording is excellent. Nice folk ballads from the voice of Lori Lieberman.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Jon Agner » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:06 am

plasticman wrote:
kabubi wrote:i bought that album simply for the picture of Rebecca Pidgeon on the cover :angel:

those eyes!
and those freckles!!!

Master kabubi,

Benta mo na sa akin yung lp. You can keep the cover! :lol:

Magpa print ka nalang ng cover Bubi ;)
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Elgar on Nimbus Supercut

Postby jadis » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:58 pm

ELGAR-SYMPHONY NO. 2

Looks like the chaps are primed for any invasion or something. Warmongers beware. :D This SS! (Still Sealed) Nimbus Supercut from an EMI orignal is like a long stored cannon ball waiting to be fired. Bombs away! And I thought only Telarc albums were the musical warmongers. :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Delius on Nimbus

Postby jadis » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:04 am

DE(LI)LIUS ON NIMBUS :lol:

Yes, that is the feeling one gets, I mean delirious, :lol: when a factory sealed UK Nimbus classical album comes along. British late 1800s composer Frederick Delius' works conducted by Sir Thomas Beecham, with the Royal Philharmonic. This has been 'de-owned' on sight, quickly. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Sounds Unheard Of

Postby jadis » Tue May 06, 2014 8:26 pm

SOUNDS UNHEARD OF - SHELLY MANNE & JACK MARSHALL (ORIGINAL PRESSING)

Imagea

Since I heard the re-issue of this a few years back, I made a resolution to track down the original pressing of this. The music is gripping it's hard to get out of my chair once it started to play. Generally, I've found out that the original pressings sounded more natural, without any artificial boost at any frequency that I have gotten to be so used to them and actually seek this kind of sonic character in a record. The bass of this album is awesome considering the time it was recorded, 1962, and again, the naturalness of the timbre of each instrument is very pleasing to listen to. It just sounds 'right'. The front and back covers pretty much sum up what one is supposed to hear in the album. Not only are the sounds unheard of, they also provide a tingling sensation to the ears. :)

jadis
Legend
Legend

Joe Sample - Carmel (Half Speed)

Postby jadis » Thu May 15, 2014 6:08 pm

UPSAMPLED SAMPLE... :lol:

JOE SAMPLE - CARMEL (HALF-SPEED MASTERED)

This is one of my very first LPs that was recorded in the non-commercial fashion, ie, half speed with 'extended range' processing. I was using a Sansui 'automatic' direct drive turntable then with a forgettable phono cartridge but just the same, I was able to hear an experience a sonic 'improvement'. This phenomenon convinced to search for more of these types of recordings, those that sought to technically improve what there was in the commercial labels. And the inspiration of the music by Joe Sample is one of the loveliest places I've seen. Nostalgic music and place. :)

jadis
Legend
Legend

Vivaldi on K

Postby jadis » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:00 pm

Vivaldi on K Edition Open Window

A label simply called "K" delivers stunning realism and rich tonal quality upon the first drop of the needle. That has been my impression all along and with this added new title, more 'rich' music, from Vivaldi and Sammartini.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Vivaldi on Pierre Verany

Postby jadis » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:01 pm

FRENCH-ITALIAN-GERMAN 'AXIS' :lol:

The works of Vivaldi produced by the French record company Pierre Verany, and played by the Pro Arte Orchestra of Munich. The result is very 'peaceful' music. :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Larry Coryell - Standing Ovation

Postby jadis » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:35 pm

LARRY CORYELL - STANDING OVATION (NIMBUS SUPERCUT)

Finally opened up this Nimbus Supercut edition of Standing Ovation, Larry Coryell's solo guitar album playing mostly his compositions. Very versatile player and composer, Coryell showcased a variety of improvisations here. Super duper recording and sonics that kept me at the edge of my seat from start to finish. Great stuff.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:21 pm

OST from Dying Young

Sad title, I imagine the movie is sad as well (I have not seen it though). But the rarity of this German pressed LP intrigues me. And the music of James Newton Howard is very much welcome to these ears. After listening to a few cuts, I must say that this is a very nice recording, well balanced, smooth and provides a lot of musical pleasure. Kenny G's sax tone is splendid, as in his Breathless and Live LPs, my other favorites. Thumbs up. :)

jadis
Legend
Legend

Rhythm of the Rain - Mono

Postby jadis » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:35 am

MONO RHYTHM :)

Since I have collected many versions and pressings of my boyhood favorite LP. I thought I might as well get the mono version. This one, pressed in the US, has a distinct blue Valiant label as opposed to the stereo which is maroon, and the catalog number starts with W instead of a WS.

I've been curious to hear how it sounds and how it compares to my stereo pressing. They sound quite different, even in tonal character. The mono is brighter and gives you a you-are-there feeling, and the stereo is warmer, more laid back, more open, and has more detail. I guess that's what I get for playing a mono in a stereo playback system. It would be interesting to hear this though in a pure mono system.

jadis
Legend
Legend

Nimbus Supercut - Weather Report

Postby jadis » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:22 pm

REPORT ON THE WEATHER... :lol:

...THERE IS A 'MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER' IN THE NIMBUS CLOUDS

Mysterious - that's the word. A few years ago, I heard about Weather Report from a couple of good friends who are fans of the group. Honestly, the group was a mystery to me. :lol: I learned their drummer is one Dom Um Romao, idol of Morita from the album Saudades on Water Lily Records. Then I actually witnessed a young lady in a record shop asking for a Wayne Shorter album. And now I see that Wayne Shorter was a member of Weather Report. :$ I'm a bit embarrassed. :lol: I listened to one side of this Nimbus Supercut Edition the other night and the opening salvo of side 1 got me wincing as though some bright rays of light suddenly hit me. :D Parang psychedelic din ang dating. :lol: And as the music went on till the last cut, I actually thought that it was pretty good, and the recording, as in all Nimbus remasters I have, is superb. Some people say the music of this group is heavy, I say it's not light. :lol: I need to get my mood rolling in preparation for side B. Whether I come back for a postscript or not depends on how I take the music in. :lol: It might even depend on the 'weather'. :lol:

jadis
Legend
Legend

Il Cornetto

Postby jadis » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:14 pm

IL CORNETTO

Since I've gotten to like the K-Edition Open Window recordings, I've made it a point to snatch these albums when I see one. Here we have instruments from the baroque era being played - lute, viola, table organ, and the zink, or cornetto. Upon googling images for cornetto, I was surprised to find pictures of ice cream cones ala drumstick. :lol: So to clear the confusion, here is a picture of the real 'cornettos'. :)

jadis
Legend
Legend

Magnificent Movies Themes

Postby jadis » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:29 pm

Magnificent Movies Themes

The people of Command Records were pioneers in their time, producing records that even after 50 or so years still sound fabulously entertaining to this day. This one, they used the 35mm magnetic film technique, and the title coincidentally is Magnificent Movie Themes. Long time ago,they even had the idea of 'merging' audio with video, or video with autio. :lol:

The choice cuts:

The 'magnificent' price tag of $1.97. :)

jadis
Legend
Legend

Mingus Ah Um - Demonstration Copy

Postby jadis » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:01 pm

Mingus Ah Um (Demonstration Copy)

Our vinyl sleuth in the far end of the Atlantic caught another 'Demonstration Copy - Not For Sale' original, this one an HP lister for the longest time - Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um. My batting average for these demo copies have been quite high in terms of excellent sound quality, and a CBS 6 eye Stereo is indeed a 'rare fish'. :)

jadis
Legend
Legend

Re: PDAF

Postby jadis » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:05 am

PDAF to SARO... :lol:

Multiple copies of PDAF(Phil’s Deadly Allocation to Friends), if not consummated, becomes SARO (Self Assigned Records for Owning). :D

Below left to right: 2 Original Gatefold 1st pressing of The Weavers Reunion at Carnegie Hall, and 2nd Pressing Orange Yellow Label

L-R: 2 Original Stereo USA pressing of Julie London's Latin in Satin, and Japan United Artist Stereo Pressing

jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby JoeyGS » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:20 am

Wow Julie London Hot Stamper! That should sound nice!
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:57 pm

JoeyGS wrote:Wow Julie London Hot Stamper! That should sound nice!

Yes Joey, it does. This is the only time I got to compare it with others, and it's a good thing it's 'owned'. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Re: Mingus Ah Um - Demonstration Copy

Postby dench » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:19 pm

jadis wrote:Mingus Ah Um (Demonstration Copy)

Our vinyl sleuth in the far end of the Atlantic caught another 'Demonstration Copy - Not For Sale' original, this one an HP lister for the longest time - Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um. My batting average for these demo copies have been quite high in terms of excellent sound quality, and a CBS 6 eye Stereo is indeed a 'rare fish'. :)

Truly a legendary jazz record :) Great find Philip!!
dench
Citizen
Citizen

PreviousNext

Return to Jadis' Corner