Which PC based digital player sounds best ?

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

Re: Which PC based digital player sounds best ?

Postby JoeyGS » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:25 pm

Not yet on one system

Both are good in different systems

Will to test it one of this days

timber715 wrote:
JoeyGS wrote:If you can get a fanless system, that would be best.

For an of the shelf system, the mac mini is recommended with SSD for the hard drive. You can also assemble an intel system also with a fanless processor and a fanless power supply with the appropriate CPU casing

Joey, have you made the comparison betweena mac mini and your windows server?
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Gino » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:04 pm

Thanks Deist for recommending the JDS Labs ODAC. Big improvement in Foobar2000 Wasapi Event, 24 bit playback. I have yet to compare with J River and Amarra in OS X. However since I like what I hear already I am not compelled to A/B.
Gino
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby donunus » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:38 pm

what were you using before the ODAC by the way? Just curious as to what aspects it improves in sound quality. i myself am getting the ODACs competition, the Schiit Modi. The funny thing is the headphone amp I am currently using is the JDSLabs O2. I might have gotten the Odac if it wasn't more expensive :)
donunus
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Gino » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:58 pm

This is my first dac. I had been listening from the headphone jack of the MacBook Air. I used an Analysis Plus Oval iPod Cable. I wanted a Bifrost but deist recommended the ODAC. He had heard both.

I have a Schiit Asgard. That is why I was interested in the Bifrost. However, an opportunity arose and my sister from SG brought me the ODAC.

I am using the ODAC in my home system. I have yet to hear it through the Asgard and Westone UM3X RC.
Gino
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby donunus » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:51 pm

I hear the old bifrost isn't very good and that the modi is better but the newer revisions especially with the uber upgrade is supposedly outstanding especially for the price.
donunus
Citizen
Citizen

Postby the porcupine » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:14 pm

I was wondering why my HRT Music Streamer II USB DAC sounded like something was off with it for the past week. I had no idea that one of latest Microsoft's security updates for windows7 installed a new generic USB driver. I inadvertently blind tested the said driver update and I therefore conclude that the new driver is crap and promptly rolled back to the 3-year old one. Now all is well again. :geek:

Its the KB2868038 update for those who're interested.
the porcupine
Citizen
Citizen

Postby donunus » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:16 pm

Re-comparing all players and Jriver still sounds the purest. Memory playback must be on to get the best sound IMO.
donunus
Citizen
Citizen

Postby the porcupine » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:51 pm

^ I agree.

I come back to FB2k once in a while to check how things have progressed and Jriver always comes out on top.

Still stuck with JRMC18 though. I can't justify spending on upgrading it annually since I paid so much for it in the first place and it works fine the way it is. :P
the porcupine
Citizen
Citizen

Postby BingoDelMar » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:36 pm

For me it's npetralias' Pureplayer, with Fidelizer 5.0 the best!!! here's the links: http://www.purediy.gr/downloads/pp.html and http://www.windowsxlive.net/fidelizer/ ;) :)
BingoDelMar
Citizen
Citizen

Postby donunus » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:21 am

It's hard to compare two OS's side by side since itt takes time to switch but I've noticed that apple/linux based systems sound more relaxed regardless of what player is used. The different players have differences but I still notice the extra warmth from past experience. I don't know which one is supposedly more neutral though.
donunus
Citizen
Citizen

Postby donunus » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:24 am

Oh I thought that was a mac player LOL. Nevermind. I'm sure that sounds great but I can't really use it though since I need a big library type player like Jriver. I was more of a music lover to begin with than an audiophile and the functionality of being able to access music with ease is also an important factor.
donunus
Citizen
Citizen

Postby rotciv64 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:11 pm

Hi Joey, just dropping by. Everything good na? :) BTW Almost ready na ang 2012 system :clap:
rotciv64

Re: Which PC based digital player sounds best ?w

Postby JoeyGS » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:46 pm

Yes Vic everything is fine.

Would love to test the 2012 system :geek:

rotciv64 wrote:Hi Joey, just dropping by. Everything good na? :) BTW Almost ready na ang 2012 system :clap:
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby rotciv64 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:01 am

Might be ready early next week, just breaking in the system. :)
rotciv64

Postby paeng » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:06 pm

I didn't know anything about this, so I looked it up recently, thinking that it'd be better than buying expensive audio equipment. I take it that I need a regular PC or laptop, a DAC (around P5k?), and a good set of powered speakers, and then play my CDs straight from the drive or use FLAC or something lossless, right?
paeng
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JoeyGS » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:10 pm

Yes you can start from there ..... but you can still tweak and put in the bell and whistles in order to improve the output

paeng wrote:I didn't know anything about this, so I looked it up recently, thinking that it'd be better than buying expensive audio equipment. I take it that I need a regular PC or laptop, a DAC (around P5k?), and a good set of powered speakers, and then play my CDs straight from the drive or use FLAC or something lossless, right?
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby AlexL95 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:34 am

It's VLC for me. I've been using it since 2010.
AlexL95

Previous

Return to Digital