Powered Speakers Recommendation

On ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you want to know about AUDIO but were afraid to ask!

Moderator: audiostar

Postby caavoom » Sun May 25, 2014 7:43 am

Any good recommendations for powered speakers? Just bought a Rega RP1 + Rega Fono Mini (thanks, Sir Rene) which I'm using (temporarily) with my Altec Lansing VS4121. Not too happy with the sound coming from the speakers, though.

I don't have an amplifier and I really would like to keep this setup simple (but good sounding) that's why I'm looking at a powered speaker.

Can anyone recommend the Audioengine A5+ for this setup? Any input will be much appreciated. Thanks!
caavoom
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Powered Speakers Recommendation

Postby cia » Sun May 25, 2014 7:00 pm

I have the Audioengine A5 and basically use it for tv connected directly to the digibox and home theater concerts. For HT duty it has enough bass that I don't turn on my Sub. Quite happy with its SQ plus the convenience. I have not used my HT system due to the A5 for several months now. So happy with Audioengine that I got 2 pairs of A2 for computer and internet radio use.
cia
Citizen
Citizen

Postby hearhead » Sun May 25, 2014 10:05 pm

We use three brands of active monitors in the studio. And honestly, if you dont have that big of a space a studio monitor can serve you well. Ill list them down in order of preference:

1. Yamaha hs50m
2. Presonus Eris
3. M Audio Av40

The HS50 is supertweakable and is our workhorse for mixing. It even has room correction switches. Its very very capable for such a small speaker. We like to play around with it switches to tune the 6 pairs we have to individual rooms. Very clear with an almost imperceptible low mid hump.

The Presonus Eris is a very very close second and IMHO represents very good value for the money and is severely underated. Its got good bass extension but dont expect subwoofer level low notes. Its got a sweeter midrange than the ns50ms. In fact if youve got a bright enough source id reco this over the ns50m.

The MAudio Av40 represents a decent convenient choice as this has the volume way up front. Its very dependent on placement for the bass response. Personally we dont stick it close to walls as it can sound a bit boxy. Get this if you want a bit of coloration to your sounsld or if space is a premium.

Having said all that id get the Audio engines a5+ if youve got the cash since ive auditioned them and they sound good without the requisite burn in plus they have the better simpler control options.

For value for money the Presonus Eris gets my vote. If youre a tweak head or madali magsawa get the hs50m
Last edited by hearhead on Mon May 26, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hearhead
Citizen
Citizen

Postby caavoom » Mon May 26, 2014 2:50 am

cia wrote:I have the Audioengine A5 and basically use it for tv connected directly to the digibox and home theater concerts. For HT duty it has enough bass that I don't turn on my Sub. Quite happy with its SQ plus the convenience. I have not used my HT system due to the A5 for several months now. So happy with Audioengine that I got 2 pairs of A2 for computer and internet radio use.

hearhead wrote:We use three brands of active monitors in the studio. And honestly, if you dont have that big of a space a studio monitor can serve you well. Ill list them down in order of preference:

1. Yamaha ns50m
2. Presonus Eris
3. M Audio Av40

The NS50 is supertweakable and is our workhorse for mixing. It even has room correction switches. Its very very capable for such a small speaker. We like to play around with it switches to tune the 6 pairs we have to individual rooms. Very clear with an almost imperceptible low mid hump.

The Presonus Eris is a very very close second and IMHO represents very good value for the money and is severely underated. Its got good bass extension but dont expect subwoofer level low notes. Its got a sweeter midrange than the ns50ms. In fact if youve got a bright enough source id reco this over the ns50m.

The MAudio Av40 represents a decent convenient choice as this has the volume way up front. Its very dependent on placement for the bass response. Personally we dont stick it close to walls as it can sound a bit boxy. Get this if you want a bit of coloration to your sounsld or if space is a premium.

Having said all that id get the Audio engines a5+ if youve got the cash since ive auditioned them and they sound good without the requisite burn in plus they have the better simpler control options.

For value for money the Presonus Eris gets my vote. If youre a tweak head or madali magsawa get the Ns50m

Thanks cia and hearhead! I appreciate the input.
caavoom
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Mon May 26, 2014 1:24 pm

I use ADAM Artist 5s as my active monitors. I'm a ribbon tweeter kind of guy. :)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby caavoom » Mon May 26, 2014 1:54 pm

Thanks JackD201.

I'm a newbie in this although I've been collecting LPs and 45s since 1998. I've never paid attention to the hardware details until now, I guess.

What are the pros and cons of using a powered speaker VS amplifer/passive speaker anyway?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
caavoom
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dimfer » Mon May 26, 2014 3:28 pm

a friend here with trusted ears speak very highly of Event Opals

I recently heard different models of Genelec in a big sized room and they sounded great.

I also heard the Vanatoo speakers are Newport Beach Audio show last year and was really impressed by them, almost unimaginable sound coming from such a small box
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby sientobente » Tue May 27, 2014 7:52 am

You can try the Dynaudio Xeo 3. It's also wireless. Something cheaper, there is the PSB Alpha PS1.
sientobente

Postby caavoom » Tue May 27, 2014 2:28 pm

sientobente wrote:You can try the Dynaudio Xeo 3. It's also wireless. Something cheaper, there is the PSB Alpha PS1.

dimfer wrote:a friend here with trusted ears speak very highly of Event Opals

I recently heard different models of Genelec in a big sized room and they sounded great.

I also heard the Vanatoo speakers are Newport Beach Audio show last year and was really impressed by them, almost unimaginable sound coming from such a small box

Thanks dimfer & sientobente.

That PSB Alpha PS1 is looking good, price-wise and based on reviews.

Anyone tried a PSB Alpha PS1?

caavoom
Citizen
Citizen

Postby TheAnalogSource » Tue May 27, 2014 5:37 pm

i like samson monitors. you can check them out at audiophiles branches.
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby sientobente » Wed May 28, 2014 5:34 am

caavoom wrote:
sientobente wrote:You can try the Dynaudio Xeo 3. It's also wireless. Something cheaper, there is the PSB Alpha PS1.

Watts Hifi in Makati Cinema Square has a unit ready for demo.
sientobente

Postby kabubi » Wed May 28, 2014 7:22 am

sientobente wrote:
caavoom wrote:

Watts Hifi in Makati Cinema Square has a unit ready for demo.

which speaker at Watt HiFi, PSB? Dynaudio Xeo3? Genelec? Vanatoo?
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby sientobente » Wed May 28, 2014 12:37 pm

Sorry, it's PSB in Watts Hifi. The Dynes in Listening in Style Shang.
sientobente

Postby JackD201 » Thu May 29, 2014 8:44 am

caavoom wrote:Thanks JackD201.

I'm a newbie in this although I've been collecting LPs and 45s since 1998. I've never paid attention to the hardware details until now, I guess.

What are the pros and cons of using a powered speaker VS amplifer/passive speaker anyway?

Hi Caavoom

The biggest pro is savings. The biggest con is the lack of flexibility as far as tuning the system to your specific tastes go. Not a problem of course if you happened to luck out on a pair of actives you really like. :)

The other thing might not be considered a con at all. The majority of active monitors are designed for near field listening. Their performance get really erratic in a free, mid-field setting. Solution is to just listen to them as they were designed to be listened to, 6 or less feet away.

Enjoy!
JackD201
Immortal

Postby caavoom » Thu May 29, 2014 9:06 am

TheAnalogSource wrote:i like samson monitors. you can check them out at audiophiles branches.

JackD201 wrote:
caavoom wrote:Thanks JackD201.

Hi Caavoom

The biggest pro is savings. The biggest con is the lack of flexibility as far as tuning the system to your specific tastes go. Not a problem of course if you happened to luck out on a pair of actives you really like. :)

The other thing might not be considered a con at all. The majority of active monitors are designed for near field listening. Their performance get really erratic in a free, mid-field setting. Solution is to just listen to them as they were designed to be listened to, 6 or less feet away.

Enjoy!

Thanks TheAnalogSource for the recommendation!

Thanks JackD201 for the explanation. I really appreciate it! :clap: :clap:
caavoom
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mousemouse » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:04 am

Where can M-audio and Audio engine be auditioned? Does Dexterton in caloocan allow demos?
mousemouse

Postby mykel18 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:34 am

I believe Dexterton also has a demo of Audioengine at their Greenbelt 5 store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mykel18
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mousemouse » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:23 am

mykel18 wrote:I believe Dexterton also has a demo of Audioengine at their Greenbelt 5 store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks!
mousemouse

Postby theta-rhythm » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:58 am

I too have an Audioengine A5+ and it does offer great sound and straightforward controls. Hooking it up wasn't too complicated either as all I had to do was plug in the RCA cable from my turntable and that was it. For newbies who want a simple system, this product is great albeit a bit pricey. However, as one other post on this thread has pointed out, there's very little latitude for tuning. I can't even use my ATH-M50x headphones because there isn't a headphone jack (not on my A5+ or on the Audio Technica AT-LP120 turntable). I tried hooking up via a stereo mini-RCA plug but sucking sound straight from this turntable is tremendously underwhelming (you can't obviously pump up the volume for one). That's why getting into this game always burns a hole in our pocket. So right now, I'm looking to upgrade my simple newbie system. But that's a subject for another thread...
theta-rhythm

Return to NEWBIE Corner