After 4 Years in storage...,

vintage and modern toys of the old dog :-)

Moderator: vintage_dog

After 4 Years in storage...,

Postby vintage_dog » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:01 pm

My Clearaudio/Koetsu table is now back in service making some good music this lazy Sunday evening ...

vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Re: After 4 Years in storage...,

Postby vintage_dog » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:06 pm

Mandy's lifter works perfectly too..,,

obviously, the table still needs some good cleaning...perhaps next weekend... :lol:
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby dante » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:34 pm

Let's get together when you're ready for company bro!
dante
cool dude

Postby hearhead » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:45 pm

Noticed that you have both a belt drive and a direct drive tt and a horn loaded speaker VintageDog. I remember my Dad saying during the height of his audiophilia that the Direct drives had more dynamics but ultimately the belt driven ones were more musical. Also remember him pairing the belts with a horn speaker and the direct drives with bookshelfs.

Can I ask for your opinion if you agree?

Salamat! :D
hearhead
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:46 pm

dante wrote:Let's get together when you're ready for company bro!

surely bro...slowly "gearing-up"... :)
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby vintage_dog » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:10 am

hearhead wrote:Noticed that you have both a belt drive and a direct drive tt and a horn loaded speaker VintageDog. I remember my Dad saying during the height of his audiophilia that the Direct drives had more dynamics but ultimately the belt driven ones were more musical. Also remember him pairing the belts with a horn speaker and the direct drives with bookshelfs.

hi hearhead, unfortunately, i don't really have a magic formula on which table (eg. direct drive vs belt-driven) to pair with which speaker (horn-loaded vs bookshelves) to give a musical system. my sl1200 has been a reliable direct-drive tt which i use quite regularly on a variety of genre...it's configured to be an input to 3 speakers (horns, ls3/5a and vs vr4jrs) with variety of amps from se to pp to ss. each combi has a unique character, and i like them all :D

having said that, i have 6 belt-driven tables vs only 1 direct-drive...if that is an indication on which type i prefer...but just like what other audiophiles know, it's an entire system (with proper room treatment) that has to be tuned and synergized to get you to that state of "musical enjoyment".
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby hearhead » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:07 am

vintage_dog wrote:
hearhead wrote:Noticed that you have both a belt drive and a direct drive tt and a horn loaded speaker VintageDog. I remember my Dad saying during the height of his audiophilia that the Direct drives had more dynamics but ultimately the belt driven ones were more musical. Also remember him pairing the belts with a horn speaker and the direct drives with bookshelfs.

hi hearhead, unfortunately, i don't really have a magic formula on which table (eg. direct drive vs belt-driven) to pair with which speaker (horn-loaded vs bookshelves) to give a musical system. my sl1200 has been a reliable direct-drive tt which i use quite regularly on a variety of genre...it's configured to be an input to 3 speakers (horns, ls3/5a and vs vr4jrs) with variety of amps from se to pp to ss. each combi has a unique character, and i like them all :D

having said that, i have 6 belt-driven tables vs only 1 direct-drive...if that is an indication on which type i prefer...but just like what other audiophiles know, it's an entire system (with proper room treatment) that has to be tuned and synergized to get you to that state of "musical enjoyment".

Thanks. That's well said. Been finding out more and more that well tuned systems actually make you forget about gear specs and make you go straight to foot tapping.
hearhead
Citizen
Citizen

Postby takussa » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:57 am

hearhead wrote: Been finding out more and more that well tuned systems actually make you forget about gear specs and make you go straight to foot tapping.

Prat prat??
takussa
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Jon Agner » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:21 pm

hearhead wrote:
vintage_dog wrote:

Thanks. That's well said. Been finding out more and more that well tuned systems actually make you forget about gear specs and make you go straight to foot tapping.

And that is the objective of this exercise. Listen attentively on how the music sings and captivates you with a well tuned system, and try to duplicate the same musical atmosphere with your own system.... and often times, its not about the gear ;) :)
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby JackD201 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:55 pm

The CIC is back on the bridge! :rock:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby zenaudio » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:03 pm

Haven't seen/heard that Clearaudio for years. ;)
Akala ko you were gonna sell your koetsu na. :lol:
Welcome back!
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby zenaudio » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:52 pm

I must say hearing

"This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end..."