Le Chateau de Jadis

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Re: Le Chateau de Jadis

Postby jadis » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:18 am

dimfer wrote:haha - Jadis The Ripper... welcome to the wonderful world of server based playback... did I hear DSD? :rock:

thanks ding. it feels wonderful too. one a night when you are really tired these things come is handy, and actually help to relax and relieve stress because you can skip all the rituals. DSD? with a little help from my friends, i should be hearing those kinds of files soon. but now i'm happy that i'm back to listening to music which i don't have on vinyl. and better, the future looks bright as i can now begin to listen to NEW music on high res. thanks to morita for the loaner dac till the geek arrives. sabi ko huwag muna nya akong pa loan ng proteus dahil wala na akong oras. :D :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Server Time

Postby jadis » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:16 pm

Jad the Ripper gets 'ripped'... :D

While being indoctrinated by some 'cadres' on the rudiments of server downloads and ripping CDs into HDs, I got a bit scared when suddenly in the midst of listening to some ripped CDs on itunes and the loaned Minimax DAC Plus, suddenly the music stopped, there was a dead quiet second and I looked around and all lights were on including the equipment lights. What could have happened? If I were playing records, I would have thought that something awry had happened to the cartridge. As the laptop monitor was positioned facing my speakers to evade the glare, I stood up and looked at it and alas, found the familiar 'blue screen of death' since the early days of Windows 98:

Yeah, Windows was 'auto-installing' and 'auto-configuring' the latest updates. What a relief! :sweat:

The ripper got ripped this time. :D :D

But what I hear is promising. And I can say, MUSIC WILL BE SERVED.... :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Visit of the Killer B's

Postby jadis » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:03 pm

ARRIVAL OF THE KILLER B'S....

Bubi Ka, Ben C, and (chucky) Boy :D :D

Three ardent DIYers (or DIY adherents) visited the Chateau yesterday. After clearing the gendarmes at the gate, :lol: they provided me with fantastic company while listening to my relatively new audio toys, and we had a nice session filled with discussions about general audio, listening rooms, and audio gears and accessories. And after that, more story telling (chismis)inside a 'smoke-chicken house' in the area. :D Thanks to the 'Killer B's' for the visit. :rock:

jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby BenC » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:19 pm

Thank you Philip for the invite. It was a pleasure listening to your system. (I wish I have a room as big as yours!) Listening to your system made me realize the value of good room acoustics. The full potential of ones gears are unleashed in properly set up room. I could listen to your system all day without having (listener's) fatigue. It was so relaxing at the sweet spot, si Kaboobies (maski wala sa sweetspot) nakatulog sa pakikinig! The small discussions about audio and non-audio stuff was fun. Time indeed flies when you're having a good time.

I thought the fun stopped when we left your place. It was a different fun however when we were at the "smoke-chicken house!) I enjoyed the chicken rice with the sausage and egg omelet side dishes. It brought back memories of me and my brothers eating "chicken fly lice" in one small chinese eatery in canada ... Part two of the non-audio discussion continued while we were having lunch. The "chismis" was very juicy! The story-telling meatier than the food we ate! What more can one ask for! It was indeed a fun-filled day for me that Saturday. Thank you Philip. As they say in the vernacular "Maraming salamat ... sa uulitin!" :)
BenC
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:12 pm

BenC wrote:Thank you Philip for the invite. It was a pleasure listening to your system. (I wish I have a room as big as yours!) Listening to your system made me realize the value of good room acoustics. The full potential of ones gears are unleashed in properly set up room. I could listen to your system all day without having (listener's) fatigue. It was so relaxing at the sweet spot, si Kaboobies (maski wala sa sweetspot) nakatulog sa pakikinig! The small discussions about audio and non-audio stuff was fun. Time indeed flies when you're having a good time.

I thought the fun stopped when we left your place. It was a different fun however when we were at the "smoke-chicken house!) I enjoyed the chicken rice with the sausage and egg omelet side dishes. It brought back memories of me and my brothers eating "chicken fly lice" in one small chinese eatery in canada ... Part two of the non-audio discussion continued while we were having lunch. The "chismis" was very juicy! The story-telling meatier than the food we ate! What more can one ask for! It was indeed a fun-filled day for me that Saturday. Thank you Philip. As they say in the vernacular "Maraming salamat ... sa uulitin!" :)

You're most welcome, Ben. :) And I'm very glad that you enjoyed listening over here and I'm always gratified when fellow hobbyists and music lovers enjoy what I have patiently assembled for music reproduction at my home. Yes, I noticed Kabubs has always been relaxed in my room, kailangan yata ako bumili ng 'folding chair' for his 'slouching tiger stance' when listening. :D :D He's a fellow Celtics fan, so he can sit anyway he likes here. :D
Hoping to have further sessions either here or in your place, why, we're virtually neighbors in the city. :) Pag may timbre si Morita ng interesting session, I hope to be there too. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Chuckyboy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:11 pm

Don't be fooled by kaboob's deep "trance" pose - that's when he truly enjoys the music and forgets about the gears.

Philip thank you for the invite. But next time pls bring more pillows inside your listening room for good friend :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuckyboy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:42 pm

Chuckyboy wrote:Don't be fooled by kaboob's deep "trance" pose - that's when he truly enjoys the music and forgets about the gears.

Philip thank you for the invite. But next time pls bring more pillows inside your listening room for good friend :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most welcome, Chuckyboy. :)

Good thing you told me about the deep trance pose of Kaboobie. Pillows are better than bonbon beds, I suppose. :D Btw, for a 'southern' guy Bubs sure knows a lot about the northern area. May magaling daw na car repair shop in my area, may pang acupuncture pa na malapit din dito. :lol: We get to learn a few things everyday. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby mullard88 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:07 am

Wow! Your entry into computer audio really surprised me. I am almost totally ignorant on this source. Now I know who to consult with if I ever explore this source. By the way, have you bought any hi-rez music files from RR to download into your computer?
mullard88
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:52 am

mullard88 wrote:Wow! Your entry into computer audio really surprised me. I am almost totally ignorant on this source. Now I know who to consult with if I ever explore this source. By the way, have you bought any hi-rez music files from RR to download into your computer?

Hi Sam,

Actually, the entry was a short stint. A friend lent me a tube DAC for burn in purposes and I took the opportunity to learn server based music during that stretch. Somehow I have a feel for it though I'm not in middle or high ground by any stretch. Haven't bought any hi-rez music yet, though I have downloaded 10 tracks for free trial from HD Tracks website. All I can say is that with servers based music, one gets to play more without much exercise, at least with CD, one gets to stand up to put the CD in or remove it. :) Oh, I even got to use my android phone as a remote control for the laptop server. Mind boggling. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

3 Médecins et Un Homme

Postby jadis » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:34 am

3 Médecins et Un Homme

Or roughly translated, Three Docs and A Guy. :lol: Doc Angelo (esi) and I had been planning this visit for our 'November Together' rendezvous but schedules hindered, and finally, last Saturday morning, it finally came to fruition as Doc Esi, Doc Les (whom I met 20 years ago at Upscale Quezon Ave) and their latest disciple Doc Dong graciously obliged to my invitation for this 'December Together' gathering in the chateau. :)

The 3 Docs listening with 'intensity'...

To these...

Group Pic:

Up Close and Personal: This is one instance wherein I do not have to holler "Is there a doctor is the house?', :D as I am swamped and surrounded by 3 no less. :lol:

Many thanks for the visit, my good doctor friends in audio. Our audio talks led to our passions flaring about gears, music and even WAF. Totally enjoyed our time together and I must say I learned one new line from one of our docs, on WAF - 'When you've provided your W with everything, there is NO WAF'. :D :D :D

PS: Here's a nice bit on WAF: :lol:

http://www.tonepublications.com/blog/mo ... ce-factor/
jadis
Legend
Legend

Le Chateau de Jadis

Postby tonysalvador » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:32 pm

Bonjour, Philip! Ça va?

Je veux te remercier pour partager les photos.

Je pense que il y était une session très bonne des amateurs de la haute-fidélité. Tu as acheté beaucoup des platines vinyle ou équipement haute-fidélité maintenant?

:) hehe.... I'm probably not making any *bleeping** sense.. just practicing my Grade 8 french... mais peut-être beaucoup des erreurs aujourd'hui :?:
tonysalvador
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:20 pm

tonysalvador wrote:Bonjour, Philip! Ça va?

Je pense que il y était une session très bonne des amateurs de la haute-fidélité. Tu as acheté beaucoup des platines vinyle ou équipement haute-fidélité maintenant?

:) hehe.... I'm probably not making any *bleeping** sense.. just practicing my Grade 8 french... mais peut-être beaucoup des erreurs aujourd'hui :?:

Bonjour Kagawad Tony!!

You lost me at Ca va. :D

Nice to know you are passionately learning another language aside from Spanish. To answer your query using the cheat sheet google translator machine, :D yes, I have a relatively new turntable, the Avid Diva I from mother England. And just to make sure I can read the owner's manual, I chose an English manufacturer. :D Seriously, I chose it because of its suspended spring design. And also I have a new set of tube preamp and phono preamp, from Hong Kong, again, so I can understand the owner's manual, sort of. :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby 99khan » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:21 pm

tonysalvador wrote:Bonjour, Philip! Ça va?

Getting ready for that Paris rendezvous later this month!!! Have a great vacation Tony.
99khan
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby tonysalvador » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:49 pm

Oo nga Nick, baka kasi maka-tapat ako ng mga snobbish françaises na ayaw mag-anglais kahit marunong (stereoypes, kaya mas madalas hindi totoo). :) I really like the Tower of Power Bump city LP. I thought I would only like the hit and one or 2 more. However, I continue to enjoy the entire LP.

Of course, Sphere was as expected... exceptional! What's new? :) . Reminds me of a rhetorical question in a magazine in the 80's: "Why, you want to listen to mediocre music since listening to geniuses (Ella Fritzgerald and company) has become the norm, and therefore has since become boring!?"

Congrats, Philip! :) Sigurado ang ganda ng mga 'yan. Enjoy! PM nga pala kita about a related matter.

Keep safe, bros!
tonysalvador
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:51 pm

This August is a busy month, starting with the HK Audio Show and then the much awaited visit of my friend and site owner of What's Best Forum Steve Williams who flew all the way from LA to attend the HK Show and then to Manila to visit some friends in audio. Included is a visit to my humble abode.

With Cong. JackD201, Steve Williams and Jadis. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:27 pm

jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:56 pm

jadis
Legend