Heal Our Land Concert

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Heal Our Land Concert

Postby jadis » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:57 pm

HEAL OUR LAND BENEFIT CONCERT

A few weeks ago, a very good friend called me to reserve the night of January 31st as he has bought quite a few tickets to the Heal our Land Benefit concert for the victims of typhoon Yolanda. He was a big fan of Jonathan Butler so that alone started his interest. He also loved David Benoit, Brian Simpson and Kevin Lettau. He told me he can't go wrong here. So can't I. :lol:

Enter the MOA Arena, on Chinese New Year's Day, to boot.

Stage. We were like a few meters from the stage, and a few meters from the monster woofers positioned straight smack into these ears. :o

No worries, first act was a Pinoy group called South Border and below, this keyboard player and vocalist was pretty good. So no eardrum buster here. :lol:

Mulatto was up and about for the next piece.

Freestyle, with new singers, came next. :clap:

Then came the ever-lovely Sitti. Singing Olivia Newton John's 'Suddenly'. Di lang pang bossa nova siya, pang love song pa. :lol: Smoooooooth girl. :inlove:

Constant returning visitor Kevin Lettau, who admitted she fell in love with the Philippines the first time she performed here in 1983, when she was 10!. :D

Then came Side A, with Joey G.

Chad Borja performed with one of the musician/organizers from Hawaii, saxophonist Michael Paolo. Heard some giggles in the crowd when Paolo pronounced his name as Chad Borgia with his American twang, well, tama din si Paolo. :D

Freestyle female vocalist performing a duet with American jazz singer Spencer Day.

And heeeeeeerrrre comes Daaaaviiiiiiid.....The man, the piano. :rock:

Our own Thor Dulay came out to sing Take A Look Inside My Heart with David Benoit on the piano. Nice voice. :clap:

Jaya was next, singing Land of the Loving with David on the piano. She was called the Anita Baker of the Philippines by Paolo. :clap:

For me, the best moment of the night was when Ambrosia's David Pack came out, first singing A Key to You with David B on the piano.

Then David Pack performed 2 hits songs of Ambrosia, How Much I Feel, and You're the Biggest Part of Me. Our college buddies went crazy over these songs. We suddenly got younger, feeling college. :lol:

A pretty and tall guitarist came out and did a few songs, Emmanuelle Vera. :inlove:

Keyboard/pianist Brian Simpson wow'ed the crowd with his portable keyboard on the legs sizzling performance. Great guy. :clap: And he was sizzling on the Lyric grand piano. :clap: :clap:

Latina sax player/singer Jessy J belted out a few hot hits too.

Ray Parker Jr. sang a few of his 'sexy man' hits, doing some 'macho dancing' in the process. :lol: Well, we has gotten a bit 'mature', and your time has lapsed, Ray. :lol:

South African guitarist/gospel singer Jonathan Butler excited the crowd with his exotic jazz vocal tunes and healing prayer of our country and our people. Truly inspirational performance. :clap: :clap:

I was extremely impressed with the drummer, Eric Valentine. The moment he sat and hit the sticks, I couldn't take my eyes off his drum set. The music was electrifying and mesmerizing. The dynamics was just awesome. To the right is bassist Nate Philipps.

Piping hot and rocking keyboardist Gregg Karukas was fantastic, playing some tunes in rhythmic fashion. He bops his head constantly with each note and is ever smiling. Cool dude. 8)

Afterwards, Jonathan Butler called out whom he said was a Pinay singer who blew him away by her singing during rehearsals - Anna Jomeo from the local band Mulatto. And they belted out a couple of tunes together, among them If I Ever Lose This Heaven. Wow! This girl can move! :clap:

The Finale. With a lot of inspiration talk to our people in the aftermath of the destruction of Yolanda, the group performed a fantastic song about healing our land and loving our people. Truly a class act and a touching moment. :clap: :clap: It was a very long concert, a lot longer than I thought but every worth the message through music that the people involved gave us. It's definitely an event to remember.

I'll try to post some youtube videos I took with my amateur hands and P&S camera. At this moment, youtube is 'cyber-correcting' the 'shake' in the video, or correcting the 'jitter'. :D Most do not have a beginning or an end, so it's like chop chop excerpts of some artists' performance. When I watch them on youtube, I just 'listen to the music, and not the recording'. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Re: Heal Our Land Concert

Postby 99khan » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:34 pm

Thanks for sharing Philip. How was the attendance?
99khan
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:56 pm

99khan wrote:Thanks for sharing Philip. How was the attendance?

My pleasure, Nick, and glad you liked it. Turn out was very good, I can say 80 to 85% filled though lots were gone by 12 midnight but still lots of performers have not even showed. I couldn't feel the time pass though as I was enjoying each and every act, and when at about past 12:30am, Paolo said, still to come, Ray Parker Jr. and Jonathan Butler, I was saying wow, meron pa pala. I thought it was time for the curtain call. :lol: And imo, the price even at the stage level wasn't that bad, as compared to an upcoming Bruno Mars concert which had a p16,000 price tag a piece for the closest seat. Isang singer lang yan. :lol: And this one is for a good cause, for our countrymen in Tacloban and other devastated areas.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby dimfer » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:09 am

excellent reporting. nice to see performers from other countries do concerts like this for the benefit of our kababayans
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:18 am

dimfer wrote:excellent reporting. nice to see performers from other countries do concerts like this for the benefit of our kababayans

Thanks Ding. There was even a manifestation of a miracle happening as attested by David Pack, that just 6 hours before the concert he was still in a local hospital due to a food allergy and he praised and thanked God for the miraculous recovery and able to perform for us. He apparently belong to a church in CA headed by Rick Warren who also gave a taped message to our people, that they are praying for us from way over there.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Heal Our Land Concert

Postby jadis » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:34 pm

Amateur videos of the event. :lol: In 720p HD kuno. :D

Gregg Karukas, with his ever bopping head and cool body language, plays his hit Girl in the Red Dress.

Kevin Lettau, reprising her Ondoy fundraising hit in the US, Sana Maulit Muli/Bridges.

Brian Simpson on piano, with the fabulous rhythmic drummer Eric Valentine.

Jonathan Butler calling out Mulatto singer Anna to belt out the popular song If I Ever Lose This Heaven, kinda short because nangangawit na ang kamay ko. :D

jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:26 pm

Apparently there's like a Part 2 of this benefit concert, held at the SM Aura last night. Actually I was invited again but I begged off as I have to catch up on my sleep, really. :lol:

And so, tonight, as the case may be, utilizing the best of Viber technology on smart phones, my good friend zipped me a few pics with a caption saying, that too bad I missed the concert, the sound system was better and the chairs were more comfortable. Yeah right, make me inggit. :D

Here is the 'evidence', with Peter White as the new addition of some of the group the performed at the Arena.

And a short clip to add more 'spice'. :)

jadis
Legend
Legend

Return to Jadis' Corner