Records and Recordings

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Re: Records and Recordings

Postby jadis » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:35 am

Voltraizer wrote:
Jon Agner wrote:Image

Flamenco Ole

I remember and old discussion on which flamenco recording is better, this album or that by M&K. Up to now i still can't determine which one :)

Anyway, its been a while since my last post here your thread so better start the year with some "ole" :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

accdg to the late prof pic , jvc is better..
though the m&k is more expensive
:)

vs

Jon,

I think Louie recalls it correctly. The JVC was Pic's favorite, and he played it in a few Hifi Shows. I think musically, it's easier to sink through the JVC Ole though I recall the M&K has more liveliness and 'oomph' down there though a bit 'heavy' to the ears. It's cut with a higher modulation too so it can be a cart/system torture tester.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Jon Agner » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:00 am

Phil,

Yup, now I remember :D Not doing any critical listening exercises for quite sometime makes my ears a little bit loose :$ :$ :$ :D :D
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

RR 2 - Steven Gordon Plays Chopin

Postby jadis » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:14 pm

STEVEN GORDON PLAYS CHOPIN

When it comes to record labels, RR is a name I trust and respect. The artists they use are not household names but the music the comes out truly impresses me. It reminds me of the first time I visited the SF Bay Area, and while walking around Union Square I heard a guy singing an operatic piece but I couldn't see him while panning the surroundings. I walked and walked, following his voice till I spotted him in front of a store. I was glued to his voice, his music, and while definitely an unknown artist, his music forever stuck in my mind.

The performer here, one Steven Gordon, is a relatively unknown pianist in the recording circles, but since I love the works of Chopin, specially piano solos, I took a stab at this early RR recording, the 2nd in its catalog and recorded way back in 1976. At the first strike of the piano, I knew this is a special piano recording. As the music went one, I felt this is the best sounding Chopin piano recording I have ever heard in my home. The timbre and dynamics, from soft to loud is astonishingly faithful to what I remember a grand piano to sound like. And the ambiance of the recording venue, the Druid Temple in SF, is well captured. Air and space cushioning around the piano tones. Truly beautiful. Almost 40 minutes of Chopin passed by like it was only 5. And a strange thing, while listening to this album, I am reminded of the scene in Silence of the Lambs, wherein Hannibal was listening to a solo piano recording while he was in a big cage, his face was so engrossed on the music it seemed he was ecstatic. While I'm not saying I'm a serial killer, a beautiful piano recording can certainly drive me to ecstasy. :lol:

jadis
Legend
Legend

Acoustic Alchemy - Natural Elements

Postby jadis » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:50 pm

ACOUSTIC ALCHEMY - NATURAL ELEMENTS

My favorite guitar duo from the late 80s, Acoustic Alchemy, here on a promo pressing, on the album Natural Elements. It's one of those albums that I throw away my thinking caps and 'let it rip'. :lol:

jadis
Legend
Legend

Cecile Licad

Postby jadis » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:28 pm

CECILE LICAD ON CBS MASTERWORKS

Had this LP for the longest time, since it was released I think, and it coincided with Cecile doing a few live performances at the CCP back in the late 80s, of which I attended. Seeing her perform actually made me shove the record down the corner. :lol: Her emotion, her passion, and her body language is so beautiful to watch, complimenting her prodigious piano perfomance like icing on the cake. The recording is still what I remembered it to be, nothing great, with almost strident strings and the piano sounding a bit hazy; sound stage is nothing to write home about either. But, the performance of Licad can still be appreciated. She doesn't miss a note and her pace is very well integrated with the orchestra, with the great Andre Previn conducting the equally great London Philharmonic. I would have wished this was done on the older Decca recordings, but alas, we do not play 'fantasy recordings'. :lol: Was pleasantly surprised to find a video of Cecile while rehearsing for the same Chopin No.2 Piano Concerto as the CBS LP. Though her back was against the camera, the performance, and sound is still indeed quite good.

jadis
Legend
Legend

ACOUSTIC ALCHEMY

Postby jadis » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:27 pm

ACOUSTIC ALCHEMY - RED DUST AND SPANISH LACE

Acoustic Alchemy yields magic once again. This time with some upbeat Spanish flamenco type tunes with a modern-ish jazzy flavor.

jadis
Legend
Legend

Far Away Places

Postby jadis » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:24 pm

FAR AWAY PLACES - ENOCH LIGHT WITH HARPSICHORD AND EXOTIC PERCUSSION

Continuing my never ending quest for 'exotic' music via Command Records, here is a good one for travelers, for it includes 'authentic' tunes from far away places indeed. Featured countries or places are Australia, the South Pacific islands, Sumatra, Jamaica, Vienna, etc.

The interesting ones to me are The Cockeyed Mayor of Kaunakakai, (well, they don't have to look far for mayors like that) :D and The Poor People of Paris, (maybe for producing lesser Louis Vuitton bags). :D

And oh, music is very amusing and entertaining. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

KOTO VIVALDI - UK PRESSING

Postby jadis » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:19 pm

EAST MEETS WEST....AND WEST 'MAKES' EAST :lol:

KOTO VIVALDI THE FOUR SEASONS - EMI UK PRESSING

Having been familiar with Oriental musical instruments in my youth, I have taken a liking to the Koto, and this familiar title, originally released by Angel in the US and EMI in the UK, also was released in Japan by Toshiba EMI which was posted earlier on in these pages. This is where Eastern Music meets the Western Pressing, far west, all the way to Great Britain. :) And so we can say here, that the west made the east this time. :lol: The result is splendid music. EMI Studio Two pressing are known for the 'warmish' sound quality, and this one, while typically warmer than the Japanese pressing, still sounds as lively as eastern instruments were meant to be.

jadis
Legend
Legend

Nimbus Vaughan Williams

Postby jadis » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:10 am

ENGLISH ALL THE WAY...

VAUGHAN WILLIAMS - SYMPHONY NO. 6

For classical fans of Vaughan Williams, and excellent remaster of the EMI original from Nimbus Supercut. Conducted by Sir Adrian Boult with The New Philharmonia Orchestra.

Vaughan Williams, EMI, Adrian Boult and Nimbus Supercut - That's the United Kingdom of Great Classical Music. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Victory at Sea

Postby jadis » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:21 pm

Victory at Sea...

In the light of impending shootouts, A/B comparisons, and challenges, this LP by RCA is recommended. Baka ma-kapow kaya ang beloved Brothers Four ko sa Fav Four na kinopyahan nila? :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Rebecca Pidgeon

Postby jadis » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:11 am

PIDGEON HOLE... :lol:

REBECCA PIDGEON - THE RAVEN

That's what got into my mind the first time I saw the label. :lol: After all these years, finally the 'pidgeon' flew into town, and more importantly, got caught. :lol: And catching a 'pidgeon' together with a 'raven' must be like hitting the lotto. :)

A very sought after album, and used as demo LP by some dealers I know, the sultry voice of Rebecca Pidgeon as recorded by the folks at Chesky Records, in All-Analog style. 'Spanish Harlem' is a most requested song n this album. Muy excellente. :clap:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Superman » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:13 am

One of my all-time most favorite album (both in CD and LP format)! :D
Superman
Master Showman

Postby jadis » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:37 am

Superman wrote:One of my all-time most favorite album (both in CD and LP format)! :D

Some beautiful songs in there, Jen.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Superman » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:49 am

jadis wrote:
Superman wrote:One of my all-time most favorite album (both in CD and LP format)! :D

Some beautiful songs in there, Jen.

Actually, "walang tapon" sir...
Superman
Master Showman

Postby kabubi » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:11 pm

i bought that album simply for the picture of Rebecca Pidgeon on the cover :angel:

those eyes!
and those freckles!!!
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:25 pm

kabubi wrote:i bought that album simply for the picture of Rebecca Pidgeon on the cover :angel:

those eyes!
and those freckles!!!

And a stage and film actress too. Lovely face.
jadis
Legend
Legend

The Dark Side of the Moon - German Pressing

Postby jadis » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:13 pm

ZIE ZARK ZEITE AUF ZIE MOON... :D

Somebody very fond of zhings, err, things German asked me to find him a German pressing of the Dark Side of the Moon as he has heard good things about it. He urged me too to listen to it before giving it to him. And after a few cuts, I must say that my understanding of the Dark Side is akin to my understanding of the German language. I'm still in Kindergarten. :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Mahler on Nimbus

Postby jadis » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:25 pm

MAHLER ON NIMBUS

MAHLER - SYMPHONY NO. 1 (NIMBUS SUPERCUT)

Fans of Gustav Mahler are in for a treat in the Nimbus Supercut remaster of the original Decca recording. The only question remaining is that if you need to put on you classical thinking caps on or not. Medyo malalim si Herr Gustav. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Hindemith Symphonic Metamorphoses

Postby jadis » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:17 pm

HINDEMITH SYMPHONIC METAPHORPHOSIS ON THEMES OF WEBER

First time for me to encounter such a long and 'deep' title on classical music. The only words I recognize is Claudio Abbado and the London Symphony Orchestra. :D I figured I would need thinking caps for this one, so I decided to pass it on to a 'thinker'. :D By Nimbus Supercut, no less. So whatever it is, it should be good. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby plasticman » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:32 pm

kabubi wrote:i bought that album simply for the picture of Rebecca Pidgeon on the cover :angel:

those eyes!
and those freckles!!!

Master kabubi,

Benta mo na sa akin yung lp. You can keep the cover! :lol:
plasticman
Citizen
Citizen

PreviousNext

Return to Jadis' Corner