If my OB trip pushes thru, I should be in Malaysia by Valentine's day :D

One rose or two Jen?

Make it three :D :D :D
Superman
Master Showman

Re: Mamimili's Subang set-up

Postby Mamimili » Tue May 22, 2018 6:51 pm

Things have changed a little over the past four years
My Lenco 88 finally got a plinth but it is still a work in progress, the pleather is there to hide the poor workmanship underneath while i decide how to finish. It also got Mandy M's linear tracker
Digital is almost gone from my racks, i kept a cable for a quick connect of a DAP for warm-up / set-up. CD players were removed but IC's remain in case i want to record.
The 88 with Mandy's LT has a London Decca, the TD124 with an SME 3009 has a Goldring 1042 (these two get the most use, MI/MM cartridges are winning the battle) and the Technics 1200 has a Denon DL103R.
Speaker changes, the Sonus AEII are gathering dust, the Minima Amators get used sometimes for acoustic tracks but most of the time i am using my diy Goodmans, which are also a work in progress (as it's plain for all to see :$)
I added a Kalax for additional LP storage as the guy who made the "cupboards" stopped production. I put my Bowie, Lou Reed and Rolling Stones LP's in the Kalax for easy pulling
Speaker cables and preamp to amp IC's changed from vdH to entry level AntiCables, the speaker cables gave a massive improvement while the IC's were more modest. Perhaps i should have installed the other way around :lol:
I changed from vdH to Yannis Tome's Clio for the Lenco tonearm cable which also gave a major SQ improvement, as its the most expensive cable in use it should, shouldn't it?

Room treatment is still an experiment. It has not been a scientific exercise with respect to materials or placement but so far so good. The simple diffuser gave a dramatic and encouraging improvement to the soundstage, placement and definition. I plan to continue improving it but will probably stay with my non-scientific ways until i give up and spend money

Tubes? Tele's still rule the roost!
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby jadis » Wed May 23, 2018 11:45 am

Great pics, Paul. Nice to see Mang Mandy's linear arm too!
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Mamimili » Wed May 23, 2018 12:02 pm

jadis wrote:Great pics, Paul. Nice to see Mang Mandy's linear arm too!

Buying that tonearm was a big mistake!
I should have got two!
At first i was scared of it as i thought it was fragile, now i am used to it i find it is very sturdy and perhaps the most important point, very easy to set up, tweak, adjust on the fly etc.
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby jadis » Wed May 23, 2018 4:20 pm

Mamimili wrote:
jadis wrote:Great pics, Paul. Nice to see Mang Mandy's linear arm too!

Buying that tonearm was a big mistake!
I should have got two!
At first i was scared of it as i thought it was fragile, now i am used to it i find it is very sturdy and perhaps the most important point, very easy to set up, tweak, adjust on the fly etc.

Haha. Great to hear, Paul. I love linear tone arms.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Previous

Return to Members' Audio Set-up