The Dawn, Joey Albert and True Faith Vinyl Albums

For Vinyl and Record lovers: turntables, cartridges, etc.

Moderator: dante

Re: The Dawn, Joey Albert and True Faith Vinyl Albums

Postby tcris » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:11 pm

just opened and played my Joey Albert LP, purchased from astrovision in glorietta...first song i listened to was Million Miles away and to my dismay the entire song had this ticking sound over and over again. checking the vinyl it had 2 scratches. can i have it changed in astrovision? thanks!
tcris
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Superman » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:20 pm

tcris wrote:just opened and played my Joey Albert LP, purchased from astrovision in glorietta...first song i listened to was Million Miles away and to my dismay the entire song had this ticking sound over and over again. checking the vinyl it had 2 scratches. can i have it changed in astrovision? thanks!

Tim, "over and over again" sounds like the lyrics from one of her songs :D

Pwede kaya ipa-return?
Superman
Master Showman

Postby tcris » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:00 pm

sana pwede, sayang e huhuhu
tcris
Citizen
Citizen

Postby romeobabao » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:01 am

ya they will replace it with the same album.....bring the reciept......bring it back the soonest though and dont wait longer.....
romeobabao
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vinylforever » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:08 pm

Maybe we can ask bat2012, the wiredstate member who is a director of polyeast to give us at least an idea on how they produced these albums. That should end speculations on how the tracks were mastered. The worst scenario i can think of is that the new vinyl is mastered from a cd copy, that was mastered from an original pressed vinyl copy. Not an expert, but i heard that's how most cd albums we have from the vinyl era came to be. Like I said, we would be more willing to spend and put our trust in these reissues if we knew how they were made. But if they're just taking us for a ride, i wouldn't mind missing the bandwagon.
vinylforever

Postby sumnerbrowne » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:39 pm

Just finished playing The Dawn and Joey Albert albums from start to finish twice. Waited for them to hit the shelves of Astro.

I still don't have True Faith though.

Feeling happy with the SQ of the two albums.

Romy's technical observation is reassuring as it appears Polyeast has been listening to WS inputs.

The artwork could hopefully be improved for future releases. Thanks to Boy for going to the extent of doing the math to point them to the right direction.

Sharing related developments on local vinyl releases:

1. Joey Albert is very excited about the vinyl release of her recordings so much so that she announced it in her FB account. She has also expressed interest in meeting up with WS Joey Albert fans for a vinyl signing session. Don't know how Polyeast will pull this off as she is with Viva now. She has seen the front and back covers of the album but she has yet to listen to it. Also, have no idea how many here listen to her. I only know of 3, so far: Jen, Ed, Raf plus me. He he he! Baka patago na lang tayo magpaautograph. :D

2. Other local recording companies have expressed interest in releasing vinyl albums of OPM icons. Alas, they are faced with so many legal and contractual complications they can't even get to questions on cutting, mastering and pressing. Some of them would probably take as long as it took to produce the Beatles box set on vinyl. Mga 4 to 5 decades after the band in question has disbanded. Mga 2043. Retired na siguro yung ibang members nung banda. :lol:

3. I've seen the premises of several local record companies but not their income statements. But if I were to go by the look of their premises, the scourge of piracy continues to hound them. That we have local vinyl releases at this time is short of miraculous. It is good that there is a WS that supports the local vinyl projects either via affirmation or criticism or both.

4. Just got my RS yearender, sadly, RS is no longer as ecstatic about the ongoing vinyl resurgence. They are now talking about streaming being an innovation on downloading as the wave of the future.

I guess us vinyl enthusiasts would just have to go with DMB with regard to the future of vinyl releases in the local music scene:

"I am no superman.
I have no answers for you...
But I do know one thing is where you are
Is where I wanna be"

Kapayapaan po sa Pamayanang Wired State!

Maligayang Pasko!
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby stockmode » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:37 pm

For me this is a work in prohress for polyeast... they are still trying to combine the right formula.. clewrly for this release they have not baked it to perfection.

But then again having the dawn on vinyl is better than nothing... but the question is are we going to settle for this kind of quality? Pwde na ba yung pwede na yan?

I like buying indie bands from US and UK, i dont know the band when i bought them but their cover convinced me to buy their album! And sila ay sila lamang indie band from indie record company and their album are being sold between 5 to 10 bucks! How can they do that? Why cant we?

900 seems to be a fair price... i have not bought any opm greater than 1k, i saw tarsius and the other compilation wax from the same record company here and they are too expensive for me.... if they designed it that way maybe they ae only targeting a certain portion of the market... and i dont belong to that market.
stockmode
Citizen
Citizen

Postby muypogi » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:35 pm

After listening and mulling over the latest 4 OPM vinyl reissues, here's my 2 centavos on the matter . . .

Francis M:

I had high hopes for this album, as this was the first release of Polyeast after the initial Martin and Bamboo albums. Bought this sight unseen and unheard, as I wanted to give Polyeast the benefit of the doubt on this one. My comments:

Cover: In terms of materials and finishing, this one I think Polyeast has down pat. Very nice glossy feel to the jackets, and they listened to inputs on the inner sleeves, making them poly-lined, which was a big improvement from the tight paper cover that led to scratches in my Martin and Bamboo albums. In terms of artwork, I personally like the artwork, but that's just me.

Song Selection: Overall very comprehensive, though I was disappointed by the absence of Kaleidoscope World, which was was my favourite. Not Polyeast's fault though, as they apparently do not own the rights to that song. Still hoping for future albums to contain this track.

Sound: Since I do not have a copy of the earlier Francis M albums, I had only the Polyeast Best of Compilation to compare the sound with. . .

Pros:

- Sound was very detailed, with the vinyl issue revealing some additional details which I didn't remember/notice from the CD copy
- Obviously not sourced from just a CD copy/digital master, as compared to the Bamboo/Martin issues, thus sounding less compressed

Cons:

- Unfortunately, the increase in detail resulted in a sound which was I feel was not as involving as the CD version.
- Sound was very forward, with highs/mids/lows front and center. This was in contrast to the CD version, where the drum/bass lines were more dominant, giving a nice foundation for the songs. As such, I felt the CD was more "fun" and "involving" to listen to.
- Not sure if this was due to remastering the source file for vinyl, but the sound of the Francis M LP seemed a bit thinner and less "rounded" vs the CD version. Normally, the vinyl version is touted to be, for lack of a better term, "mas bilog" and warmer. . . I felt the LP was actually thinner sounding vs the CD.

Joey Albert/True Faith/The Dawn

Cover: In terms of materials and finishing, I have the same comments on these three albums. Artwork though left much to be desired, as the quality of the artwork bordered on looking like a pirated CD. I think Polyeast noted they don't have the proper source for the artwork. However, this could have been mitigated by possibly a more creative layout in the albums. If the original images are not available, then I think Polyeast should have gone for more original and better looking cover art. Parang pinilit yung covers ng three albums. Sayang.

Sound:

Generally speaking, these three albums sound better than the Francis M album, but somehow these albums again sounded a bit thinner, and not as warm as you'd expect a vinyl album to be.

In any case, in the case of Joey Albert (ballads) and True Faith (mostly acoustic/band sets), the same charateristics found in the Francis M album actually work as an advantage. There are no bass/drum beats that need to emphasized, and the additional detail is welcome. Joey Albert though has a touch more reverb in the vocals vs the CD version, which heightens the "kweba" or "singing in the CR" effect. Not a sound engineer, so I leave this as a peculiarity with the recordings of that era, which may have included such effects.

The acoustic sets of True Faith (Kung OK Lang Sa Yo, for example) actually sound better, but YMMV on this one.

The Dawn I'm fairly neutral, as I actually only like 2 songs - Enveloped Ideas and Salamat. . .

Also, I would recommend better proof reading on the album text. As this is being released by a recording company as opposed to fly by night CD pirates, you would naturally expect a certain level of polish on this one.

In terms of pricing, I think the price is fair, given that it is a limited run after all, and the label has taken a chance in pressing these albums. Vinyl reissues even in the States has never been cheap, so I think we should give Polyeast a break here given the low volumes and the considerable market risk they are taking in pressing these albums,

In all, I think it's a work in progress, as we at least have a label willing to risk a vinyl issue. That being said, I think any future releases should take these into consideration, if record companies expect further OPM vinyl sales:

1) Sound quality has room for improvement, as the comments here can be addressed by additional mastering efforts, given Polyeast (or any other company) has the master recordings. It's only fair I think to expect this, as local record companies cannot forever bank on the novelty value of these LPs. People should be buying them for the real reason they buy LPs - the perceived better sound quality and overall listening experience.
2) Better artwork layout and proofreading. These albums are not cheap, and the target market for these albums deserve better execution from Polyeast or any other record label.
3) Hopefully more record companies can join the bandwagon, as there is an addressable market for this products. The fact that LPs are less piratable vs the CD copies should encourage the labels to at least address the niche market for LPs.

Just my 2 cents worth.
muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby sumnerbrowne » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:24 am

Great review, Moi!

Here's hoping their next releases would take all these into consideration. The good news is that the Polyeast folks seem to be listening.

The other good news is other companies are also starting to express interest in vinyl reissues.
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby Superman » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:38 am

muypogi wrote:After listening and mulling over the latest 4 OPM vinyl reissues, here's my 2 centavos on the matter . . .

Francis M:

I had high hopes for this album, as this was the first release of Polyeast after the initial Martin and Bamboo albums. Bought this sight unseen and unheard, as I wanted to give Polyeast the benefit of the doubt on this one. My comments:

Cover: In terms of materials and finishing, this one I think Polyeast has down pat. Very nice glossy feel to the jackets, and they listened to inputs on the inner sleeves, making them poly-lined, which was a big improvement from the tight paper cover that led to scratches in my Martin and Bamboo albums. In terms of artwork, I personally like the artwork, but that's just me.

Song Selection: Overall very comprehensive, though I was disappointed by the absence of Kaleidoscope World, which was was my favourite. Not Polyeast's fault though, as they apparently do not own the rights to that song. Still hoping for future albums to contain this track.

Sound: Since I do not have a copy of the earlier Francis M albums, I had only the Polyeast Best of Compilation to compare the sound with. . .

Pros:

- Sound was very detailed, with the vinyl issue revealing some additional details which I didn't remember/notice from the CD copy
- Obviously not sourced from just a CD copy/digital master, as compared to the Bamboo/Martin issues, thus sounding less compressed

Cons:

- Unfortunately, the increase in detail resulted in a sound which was I feel was not as involving as the CD version.
- Sound was very forward, with highs/mids/lows front and center. This was in contrast to the CD version, where the drum/bass lines were more dominant, giving a nice foundation for the songs. As such, I felt the CD was more "fun" and "involving" to listen to.
- Not sure if this was due to remastering the source file for vinyl, but the sound of the Francis M LP seemed a bit thinner and less "rounded" vs the CD version. Normally, the vinyl version is touted to be, for lack of a better term, "mas bilog" and warmer. . . I felt the LP was actually thinner sounding vs the CD.

Joey Albert/True Faith/The Dawn

Cover: In terms of materials and finishing, I have the same comments on these three albums. Artwork though left much to be desired, as the quality of the artwork bordered on looking like a pirated CD. I think Polyeast noted they don't have the proper source for the artwork. However, this could have been mitigated by possibly a more creative layout in the albums. If the original images are not available, then I think Polyeast should have gone for more original and better looking cover art. Parang pinilit yung covers ng three albums. Sayang.

Sound:

Generally speaking, these three albums sound better than the Francis M album, but somehow these albums again sounded a bit thinner, and not as warm as you'd expect a vinyl album to be.

In any case, in the case of Joey Albert (ballads) and True Faith (mostly acoustic/band sets), the same charateristics found in the Francis M album actually work as an advantage. There are no bass/drum beats that need to emphasized, and the additional detail is welcome. Joey Albert though has a touch more reverb in the vocals vs the CD version, which heightens the "kweba" or "singing in the CR" effect. Not a sound engineer, so I leave this as a peculiarity with the recordings of that era, which may have included such effects.

The acoustic sets of True Faith (Kung OK Lang Sa Yo, for example) actually sound better, but YMMV on this one.

The Dawn I'm fairly neutral, as I actually only like 2 songs - Enveloped Ideas and Salamat. . .

Also, I would recommend better proof reading on the album text. As this is being released by a recording company as opposed to fly by night CD pirates, you would naturally expect a certain level of polish on this one.

In terms of pricing, I think the price is fair, given that it is a limited run after all, and the label has taken a chance in pressing these albums. Vinyl reissues even in the States has never been cheap, so I think we should give Polyeast a break here given the low volumes and the considerable market risk they are taking in pressing these albums,

In all, I think it's a work in progress, as we at least have a label willing to risk a vinyl issue. That being said, I think any future releases should take these into consideration, if record companies expect further OPM vinyl sales:

1) Sound quality has room for improvement, as the comments here can be addressed by additional mastering efforts, given Polyeast (or any other company) has the master recordings. It's only fair I think to expect this, as local record companies cannot forever bank on the novelty value of these LPs. People should be buying them for the real reason they buy LPs - the perceived better sound quality and overall listening experience.
2) Better artwork layout and proofreading. These albums are not cheap, and the target market for these albums deserve better execution from Polyeast or any other record label.
3) Hopefully more record companies can join the bandwagon, as there is an addressable market for this products. The fact that LPs are less piratable vs the CD copies should encourage the labels to at least address the niche market for LPs.

Just my 2 cents worth.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Superman
Master Showman

Postby Jon Agner » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:40 pm

Comparing to the previous releases of polyeast which I have (FrancisM, Bamboo, Martin Nievera) I really enjoyed listening True Faith's album. While the album cover is not much to be desired, but the way the recording was remastered to suite the vinyl media was indeed commendable. Having listened to True Faith's music countless times over the past two decades, I know how the CD release sounded and comparing the digital media to the analog format, the analog issue is a notch higher. Of course, don't expect soundstage, nor pin point location of instruments, nor detailed highs ..... the final mix is not something that we all would be looking for ('though having a better mix is something that can be improved in the future releases), but the overall sound coming from those grooves is worth it.

I can't say much of FrancisM's vinyl reissue, I have the "Yo" album and for me, the original issue sounded better.
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby kiwinese » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:37 pm

Available ba sa online store yan mga records na yan? Anong website?
kiwinese

Postby romeobabao » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:07 pm

i just listened to my polyeast JOEY ALBERT ,and A/B it with my JOEY ALBERT-EXPRESSION album where a number of songs are the same....and guess what.comparatively the new vinyl sounded like there is a blanket(a thin one at that though,enough to limit mids and the highs)over the speakers(as compared to the vintage EXPRESSION album ,and this is more discernible on the vocals and since this is a pop album the old album just sound so much better on the highs and mids ( you know this master for the new release would have benefited from analog EQ and compression to boost the mids and highs,and control the low end a bit).the vocals are just so much cleaner and more intelligible,like they were recorded with a different studio microphone,that much of a difference.and since the going rate of joey vinyls are all below 500 pesos,its a better sound experience(only if you have the patience and time,or you are too much of a sound nut )to get the old joey albums.
romeobabao
Citizen
Citizen

Postby zenaudio » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:08 pm

Just got a copy of the Joey Albert LP. Unfortunately I did not read this thread before I bought it. I may have been able to read between the politely worded lines.

Agree on the comments above. I'm sure the original pressing sounds much better than this reissue. This doesn't like it came from the original tapes.

Truly poor dynamics, too much reverb. This is probably just a vinyl pressing of an mp3 file, or something recorded from the radio.
Hindi ko na tinapos pakinggan. What is playing in my mind is "I remember the song, but I don't remember the feeling anymore."
I wanted to support OPM on vinyl but I feel ripped off. :punch:

Sorry to say but this is a disservice to OPM and to vinyl. Unfortunately if the new vinyl converts are introduced to this kind of recording, they might think they are better buying the P99 CDs of Joey Albert in the bargain bins.
Or just hunt the old pressings at the WS marketplace or the vinyl swaps.
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby sumnerbrowne » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:01 pm

zenaudio wrote:Just got a copy of the Joey Albert LP. Unfortunately I did not read this thread before I bought it. I may have been able to read between the politely worded lines.

Agree on the comments above. I'm sure the original pressing sounds much better than this reissue. This doesn't like it came from the original tapes.

Truly poor dynamics, too much reverb. This is probably just a vinyl pressing of an mp3 file, or something recorded from the radio.
Hindi ko na tinapos pakinggan. What is playing in my mind is "I remember the song, but I don't remember the feeling anymore."
I wanted to support OPM on vinyl but I feel ripped off. :punch:

Sorry to say but this is a disservice to OPM and to vinyl. Unfortunately if the new vinyl converts are introduced to this kind of recording, they might think they are better buying the P99 CDs of Joey Albert in the bargain bins.
Or just hunt the old pressings at the WS marketplace or the vinyl swaps.

Hopefully, the way OPEN ARMS by Aiza Seguerra on 180gram virgin vinyl was pulled off by S2S in Singapore would challenge our local recording companies to improve on their future vinyl outings. There are unconfirmed reports (as I indicated in my Ely Buendia interview in NOTES FROM MY MUSIC ROOM) that Apo, Jose Mari Chan and Noel Cabangon are up next. These acts are with the sister company of Polyeast which is Universal Records Philippines.
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby zenaudio » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:49 am

They've just lost a customer.

As stockmode said, "pwede na ba yung pwede na?"

Unless proven otherwise, I'd stay away from what I see as rip offs riding on the vinyl "fad".

As vinylforever said, "if they're just taking us for a ride, I wouldn't mind missing the bandwagon."

In the meantime, if I'm on OPM mode I'll get more satisfaction by playing old vinyl copies of Apo, Jose Mari Chan, etc or playing Noel Cabangon's songs on my CD player or iPod.

I hope we continue to have objective comments on WS and other forums.
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby n2knee » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:41 pm

Hi! I bought these 3 LPs last December and I recently noticed na nag-warp na sila. Ok pa naman sound quality pero medyo umaalon when I play it sa turntable. Di kaya factory defect? My other LPs are okay.
n2knee

Previous

Return to Analog