THE END OF AN ERA...REBUILD...REBIRTH

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

THE END OF AN ERA...REBUILD...REBIRTH

Postby jadis » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:20 am

THE END OF AN ERA:

Just like what happened in Beantown a few months ago, the Boston Celtics through their general manager Danny Ainge, initiated what was called 'The End of an Era' by trading away Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce to the Brooklyn Nets. The main reason: AGE. And add 'OLD' to that, and that was it. A very painful decision, but a necessary one to 'rebuild', a term that signifies the intention to do a 'one step backward - 2 steps forward' routine of changing old guards into young ones with success looming in the near future. Ainge had believed that when an opportunity like that came, you either have to grab it or be left behind.

Amazingly and so coincidentally, the same situation has come into my own lap, with regards to my audio gears. :lol: For the past 26 (TWENTY SIX) years, the Big 2 in my analog frontline have been the VPI HW19 MKII and the ET2 tonearm. They are 6 years older than my eldest child and was bought when I was still a (non)swinging single. :lol: There were many times in the past that I had thought to transform them into something newer but the incredible cost of college education, and education as a whole, had made me take a step backward. :( But I have been on the lookout for good trading opportunities, and somehow, somewhere, deals were struck after numerous phone calls, just like Danny Ainge burning the midnight oil when working on his 'trades'. :lol:

So, let the 'despedida ceremonies' begin.

A last look at the VPI 19 with the ET2 combo. ;( ;(

AND....

KABOOM ! ! !

PAUL PIERCE IS GONE ON THE THE RIGHT FLANK ! :o

KAPOWWW! ! !

AND KG IS GONE AS WELL AT THE CENTER ! ! ! :o

:'( :'( :'(

NEXT: THE REBUILD....AND THE REBIRTH...

:x :x :x :x

:) :) :) :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Re: THE END OF AN ERA

Postby JackD201 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:14 pm

Does it begin with an "O"? :devil:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby jadis » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:32 pm

JackD201 wrote:Does it begin with an "O"? :devil:

Not quite, Jack. :) Masyadong stratospheric yan. :D

Since I'm a fan of the Celtics, call me an A_ _ _ Boston fan. :D :D

And I am a 'suspension' fan. Di yung Jawo suspension sa refs incident. Suspension as in 'floating' and 'bouncing. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

THE END OF AN ERA

Postby jadis » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:37 pm

The 'draft picks' have all been picked. :D

Kasalukuyang kinakasa, dalawang araw na akong walang tulog (ng nap). :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:29 pm

The 1st round draft picks. :lol:

jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby desmo » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:53 pm

Avid Diva II?
desmo
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jadis » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:06 pm

desmo wrote:Avid Diva II?

Hi John,

Quite close. Avid Diva 1. :)

BNOS - Brand New Old Stock. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby JackD201 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:28 pm

To borrow a term from the legendary MSM........Bouncy Bouncy! :clap:

Will you still be using ET or will you be using another alien? :D
JackD201
Immortal

Postby jadis » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:50 pm

JackD201 wrote:To borrow a term from the legendary MSM........Bouncy Bouncy! :clap:

Will you still be using ET or will you be using another alien? :D

Right, bouncy bouncy. :D

The Avid Diva 1 came factory armed (no pun intended) with a Rega RB 300, and the supplied arm bracket was for that or an SME arm. More temptation. And it can house a second arm, which if I do, I'll be following yours and Jim's footsteps though I do not plan to do in the near term. Isa isa lang muna, as they say. :)

The ET2 is in very good hands and the new owner is a lover of air bearing linear arms. He has TWO! :) I hereby relinquish all duties concerning maintenance of an air bearing tonearm, I get it to mean I am getting more 'mature'. :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

THE END OF AN ERA

Postby jadis » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:12 pm

THE REBUILDING:

When one gets to own a new turntable system after 26 years, just LOOKING at it is pure bliss. :inlove:

Assembling it part by part was a labor of love as well, and when the work was done, the thing is a sight to behold.

THE LOOK: (pre-alignment and pre bolt tightening)

The external power supply is then connected to the motor and analog bliss is ready to begin. :)

My only reservation is that it doesn't have a dustcover, but I was told that after 26 years, dustcovers are not an integrated part of the turntable anymore. :o And I guess I don't have to look for the hinges either. :lol: I thought I will stick in 4 corner rods and hover a silk cloth over it for a 'tent effect', in the meantime. :)

I am impressed by its design despite it being the entry level model. As I mentioned earlier, I love suspended tables and its isolation from external vibration and noise.

The design is well illustrated in its owner's manual. The whole thing is anchored on a subchasis, which houses the 3 suspension bars and tonearm board, rods and tube, and a heavy balancing weight.

Then the main bearing hub is fitted over the subchassis which is driven by an outboard motor via rubber belt. The platter then is placed over this bearing hub.

The 3 suspension spring housing are then inserted into each of the 3 suspension bars in the subchassis to complete the turntable system.

THE SUSPENSION SANS HOUSING:

MOTOR WITH PULLEY:

RIGID METAL ARM BOARD PRE FABRICATED FOR SME/REGA ARMS:

THE SUBCHASSIS, MAIN BEARING ASSEMBLY AND PLATTER:

NEXT: THE 'NEEDLE DOCTOR' VISITS AND COMPLETES THE REBIRTH... :rock:
jadis
Legend
Legend

THE REBIRTH

Postby jadis » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:51 pm

THE REBIRTH:

After setting up and assembling the Avid Diva comes the second part, the more intricate task of aligning the tonearm properly with the table platter and the cartridge with the tonearm. I have set all bolts nuts a bit loose until the final calibration (as I do not possess any tools or protractors for a pivot arm anymore), and for that, I enlist the help of a man who is no stranger to this forum in things about accuracy in cartridge alignment - and I am referring to none other an our very own WS member Remus, whose in depth explanation of the topis of azimuth can be reviewed in the link below:

viewtopic.php?f=99&t=23157&hilit=mandym+koetsu&start=40

Remus arrived with a whole barrage of tools, from cartridge/tonearm protractor to digital tracking force gauge to mini bubble level that can sit on top of a headshell to even a laserdisc for anti-skate checking. There is absolutely no truth to the claim that one can mount and correctly align a cartridge into an arm and table WITHOUT a protractor or tools. :lol: Remus' passion for tweaking analog rigs has brought him to study scientifically the proper calibration with tremendous emphasis and utilization of proper tools and instrumentation. And in my books, I regard him as the 'Needle Doctor'. He does tonearm rewiring with a breeze and I have personally experienced viewing via his microscope the stylus/cantilever assembly of a Koetsu Black. Lots of 'broken needle' patients have seen him with good results, I have heard. :)

He finished calibrating and checking all alignment parameters, carefully explaining his techniques and what is really important in proper alignment. Below, making the finishing touches.

When the Needle Doctor gave his thumbs up to play music, all the records we played sailed through like butter melting in hotcake. Creamy and delectable. The music is all that matters, and I am a happy man. The rebirth has taken place, and the new era has began. We played Brothers Four Beatles Songbook, Julie London's Latin in Satin, Mambo Kings OST, Aerial Boundaries, and the Nimbus Supercut pressing of Grusin's Mountain Dance. I have no complains at all, I was not analyzing but just listening purely for pleasure and pleasure is what I got. I am satisfied with the transition and it will take a few more weeks or months before I start to analyze what I hear. There is no urgency for that. I'd like to say a big thank you to Remus for taking time out in his hectic schedule to come over, it's a good feeling to know that the train is right in its tracks at the risk of derailment or disaster. :)

And a few pictures to usher in this new experience, and I had to ask my idols Wolfgang and Johann Sebastian to grace the occasion and give their blessings as well. :lol:

My 'Immortal Beloved' - the Rosewood Signature, now fitted with gold (plated) :lol: screws and nuts which I have been reserving all these years until it gets a new 'house and lot' to live in. :lol:

The Koetsu in a Diva - "A thing of beauty is a joy forever." :)

Thanks for watching. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Superman » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:09 pm

Congratulations!
Superman
Master Showman

Postby jadis » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:26 am

Superman wrote:Congratulations!

Thanks, Jen. I remember you have a RB-300 too on a HW19. We used to have the same table, now we have the same tonearm. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Re: THE END OF AN ERA...REBUILD...REBIRTH

Postby jadis » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:30 am

An intriguing thought is a 2nd tonearm. If I can spot a good arm, another brand of cartridge may come in for warm up music, para tumagal ang buhay ng Rosewood Sig.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby troporobo » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:43 am

Nice looking setup you got there Philip, congrats!

I will be most interested to hear your impressions of moving from the ET-2 to a pivoted arm. I went in the opposite direction, from a bouncy belt driven Oracle + SME to a massive direct drive SP10 + ET-2. Actually, since everything changed in one go, its pretty hard for me to isolate the differences . . .
troporobo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:09 am

troporobo wrote:Nice looking setup you got there Philip, congrats!

I will be most interested to hear your impressions of moving from the ET-2 to a pivoted arm. I went in the opposite direction, from a bouncy belt driven Oracle + SME to a massive direct drive SP10 + ET-2. Actually, since everything changed in one go, its pretty hard for me to isolate the differences . . .

Hello Robert, and thanks. :)

I will be making my impressions on the change but it will be as a combo of VPI/ET2 against the Diva/Rega as my cartridge remained the same. The shift from the linear air bearing to a pivot indeed was a hard decision for me to make. I personally still believe in the good merits of the linear air design though ultimately I had to let it go, and it is a also hard to look for tables that matches well with the ET2. And great to know you are using an ET 2. I will always a soft spot for that tonearm. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Hyperion » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:02 am

Congrats!

Btw I have a custom Avid Diva 2 cover that might just fit ...
Hyperion

Postby jadis » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:12 am

Hyperion wrote:Congrats!

Btw I have a custom Avid Diva 2 cover that might just fit ...

Thanks for the info, Hansen. I'll contact you if I decide to get one.

It's nice the Wilfred and you guys still carry the line. The build quality and finish is more than I expected for a then entry level product. I can only imagine how much more superior the top models are. :) Needless to say, the Avid line now has my attention.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby TheAnalogSource » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:13 pm

jadis wrote:Image

Philip, does this come with a speed controller? if so, maybe you can ask avid for the diva 2 pulley so you can double belt.
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby jadis » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:18 pm

TheAnalogSource wrote:
jadis wrote:Image

Philip, does this come with a speed controller? if so, maybe you can ask avid for the diva 2 pulley so you can double belt.

Nols, no speed controller. Just power on/off. That's interesting. Will ask Hansen about the double belt. Thanks.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Next

Return to Jadis' Corner