Moderator: jadis

Re: "HAIL TO THE EMPEROR!!!" - The VS VR-11SE

Postby jevtagalog » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:37 pm

napakalupeeeeeeeettttttt...........
jevtagalog

Re: "HAIL TO THE EMPEROR!!!" - The VS VR-11MK II

Postby jadis » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:38 pm

THE EMPEROR WEARS ALL THE CLOTHES... :lol:

And that is not to say that this mortal subject has been struttin' around without clothes. :D It's been a good few months in audio. First we get a new phono stage, then a new table and arm, and then a loaner DAC to start our 'blasphemous' server journey, :lol: a few trips here and there with Chairman Mor(ita), and yesterday, I got an invite that I had been waiting for more than 2 and a half years (roughly) :lol: - a return trip to the Imperial Palace, not in Beijing or Vienna, but in the eastside of Quezon City - in the palace of the Bozanian Emperor of the audio world, to listen to the MKII revision of the astounding VR11 and the second 'city premiere' of the Tech Das Air Force 1 turntable. :clap:

Before anything else, we need to review the 'view' of the 'frontage' of the palace:

Let's move a little closer:

Now, a peek at the killer tube amps, from VAC, WAVAC, and VTL - all lucious mono tube affairs:

A view from the rear shows cleanly spread out python-like cables and power cords:

Close Up look at the VAC and WAVAC amps:

Now, the row of 'Side Arms' - they are located in the ride side of town. :lol:

Closer...

Another angle...

The Tech Das AF1 air bearing turntable and a STUDER A 820 Reel to Reel tape deck:

Closer look at the AF1 with 2 fabulous looking tonearms from Durand - the Telos (back) and Talea (right side)

The Studer A 820 R2R Tape Machine:

The Ampex Aria R2R Tape Machine:

Before anything else the Emperor had marked in the RSVP invitation an 'imperial edict' to bring some 'O.W.N.' Promo, Hot Stampers, Test Pressings, and the like for use as program material, while he will 'take care of the rest'. :lol: DONE! :D Arriving at 1.30 PM, I was asked by the Emperor what record do we start with. For a while I felt a blankness in the mind, akin to feeling 'without clothes', completely frozen by the new array of 'side arms' aside from the sight of the newly revised VAC and the new WAVAC amps, not to mention the VTL nuclear bombs. :lol: I would like to breathe a little first. Then, after getting hold of myself, I began to open my WS bag of hot stampers that actually were just stamped by myself. :D In the meantime, the Emperor was putting on a tape of a familiar album that got me to sit and listen with pleasure before even unloading my own stampers. I knew it was going to be a most pleasurable few hours to come. When all was a bit settled, I plucked a JVC test pressing of Ken Kreisel's own production of JAZZICAL, a jazz/classical trio which was astounding as it was intimate. One of the best trio's I've ever heard. Then, I picked a promo copy of my favorite Kenny G Live Lp to start the ball rolling. This is the first time I have played this in a true big system of scale and unrestricted dynamics and boy, this rendition will never be the same again when I go home, I said to myself. :D The balance, the timing, the tone were all perfect to my ears and the dynamics and scale was unlike any other time I have heard in my own system. Next came my demo copy of another pancake staple item of mine - Brothers Four Sings Lennon McCartney. Wooooooooooohooooooooo!!!!! Sooooo Sweet!!!!! Melting some butter there. And I heard the Emperor quipped: "Phil, why does my copy sound different?" I had to pretend not to hear that at the risk of more edicts being issued. :D Oh wow, we had to play ALL songs and finish both sides as each minute became dessert just melting in my mouth. :inlove: I heard another quip: : "Are these REALLY not for sale"? |( Well, that's what it said in the back cover - Demonstration Copy, Not For Sale. I think that was the right answer,. :lol:

"Did you bring your girlfriend"? Startled, I asked, WHO? Did the Emperor know something NO ONE knows???? :o :lol:

"CAROL KIDD - your girlfriend".

OHHHH Carol Kidd. (What a RELIEF!) Si girlfriend Carol pala. YES! My own hot stamper pa.

'When I Dream' was playing. And it was so lush and sweet now that I began cursing either my amp or the reissue Gold Lion power tubes. :@ Naka Shuguang select KT88s pala ang mga VACs. Hmmm.... :?: Problema na ito pag uwi ko. :D When Carol was done making me weak, I had to whip out pareng Dave (Grusin) and his Mountain Dance Nimbus Supercut from my bag to revitalize me like Lipovitan does :lol: . This one I had brought to the 'baby' VR 9 system of Jack so I know how fabulous it could sound and to date was the most awesome I had heard. NOT ANYMORE. Sorry Pare, BIG IS STRONG. SHAQ IS SHAQ. :D I always say to myself, you don't know what is best till you hear something better. And this was it. The sheer height of the 11MKIIs DOMINATED the sound field. Punong puno. Height, Width, Depth - the complete definition of 3D. All so well defined I could have drawn the boundaries of them all. To say impressive is now an understatement. To say the most balanced, best textured, and most natural rendition I have ever heard is more like it. LIVE, like I'm in the recording studio itself and I feel and see the bodies of Harvey Mason and Marcus Miller on the stage. It was as vivid as it can get and as I've never heard before. The attack and wallop of the bass and drums on the last cut of side 2, Either Way, bolted me to outer space. Nuclear fission in audio. :D

Then came the real AMMO's of the afternoon. The Emperor started to play full orchestral music I am familiar with on his Studer Reel to Reel tape player. They use the term organic. Yes, it seems some pesticides have removed the pests from the non-tape source, I hate to say. But for the lack of a better terminology, the little dark background noise that is present in vinyl has altogether vanished in tape. It is as transparent and clear as can be. Palpable, and almost one can feel the artists enough to touch them. Size, body and weight are very very present in the tape playback. To me, it is the ultimate source as I had first heard it a couple of years ago in a friend's room in SF. If one thinks soft to loud dynamic contrasts is ruled by digital, or the best of vinyl, I would have to say it is not, as the dynamic contrasts heard through R2R can journey from the softest and sweetest of tones to the most staggering blows of bass and percussion instruments I have so far heard on recorded music. We have to point out thought the caveats in keeping this medium - it is complicated to maintain, technicians and all, the tape has to be climate regulated for fear of fungus, mildew and the like, and the limited titles to be procured all pose great challenges to the prospective user. But the user here is the Emperor, who does not hold back on anything in audio. He knows what he is doing, and at times in partnership (or shall we say in cahoots) with his brother, :D even knows what he is GOING TO DO NEXT. :) For that, I shall keep my lips :x :x :x until the next edict, I mean, invitation, is issued. :D

Words are really not enough to describe yesterday afternoon's experience. All told we run music for about 6 straight hours with minutes of bathroom breaks. :lol: And in the middle, I was treated to the wonderful company of jokes and laughter from Jack and Mr. K himself, Keith aka KUZ. :D Plus witnessing an incredible wine selection and tasting display initiated by Mr. D was an event by itself. :D And thanks to the Empress for the fantastic grilled burger/sausages dinner with a fabulous slew of side dishes that made me more hungry the more I ate. :lol: And amazing that while eating beef and 'dogs', we talked PORK!. :D It was an ear opener indeed and a few hours of this rev'ed us into a nightcap of one more album before we all called it a night. From beginning to end of the session it was as exciting an event that I've ever been to, and when I was taking the pics even at ISO 400 and 800 I can't help but notice that there seems to be some camera 'shake' when there never was before in other instances. Was my heart pulsating that induced hand tremors just by LOOKING at the audio sidearms and bombs? :D Reminds me of the first time I saw a girl that induced me to be :inlove:. :D And for that, a big thank you, dear Emperor, for making me feel YOUNG again. :lol: :lol:

HAIL CEASAR!!! :rock: :rock: :rock: :) :) :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby dimfer » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:53 pm

wOw - what a super system.

I truly enjoyed reading your report Phil, thank for sharing the experience.
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:07 pm

Hard to imagine how things can get better pare but I have a strong feeling it will.......almost there.......... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

When will I have Shaqs kaya? :devil: :devil: :devil:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby zenaudio » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:30 am

dimfer wrote:wOw - what a super system.

+1

Can we have a "Like" button? :up:
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:08 am

Thanks so much, Ding. And nice to hear from the Chapter or shall we say, Dominion of the Bozanian Empire in Canada. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:12 am

JackD201 wrote:Hard to imagine how things can get better pare but I have a strong feeling it will.......almost there.......... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

When will I have Shaqs kaya? :devil: :devil: :devil:

:x :x :x :D :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:13 am

zenaudio wrote:

+1

Can we have a "Like" button? :up:

Thanks Nes.

As my audio loving friend in Taiwan would say:

'LIKE' in Chinese. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Re: "HAIL TO THE EMPEROR!!!" - The VS VR-111 XS

Postby jadis » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:58 am

BEYOND WORDS...

3 years in the making, one off custom made 6 pc mega speaker system - The Von Schweikert VR 111 XS. Not only is it the most extreme speaker system on the planet, it is the only one. :clap:

For a recap on the behind the scenes factory production and tech specs...

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/article ... aboratory/
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby JoeyGS » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:50 am

:o :o :o

:inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

:rock: :rock: :rock:
JoeyGS
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Jon Agner » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:53 pm

:inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: the Emperor reaches shangri-la :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:38 pm

Jon Agner wrote::inlove: :inlove: :inlove: :inlove: the Emperor reaches shangri-la :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

And Nirvana, Mt. Everest and the Moon. :D
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Sierra Audio » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:21 pm

Hey Jackd,
How are you? Beautiful system. New in this site....lol.
This is an old friend from Cebu :)

Victor
Sierra Audio

Postby jadis » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:17 am

Hello Victor,

Welcome to WS.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Sierra Audio » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:13 pm

Hi Jadis,
Thanks for the welcome, if anyone in this site needs horn loudspeaker trouble shooting or design questions.. Im willing to contribute to this site my little knowledge in the area of horn designs. What ever i can to help in our audio community.
Say hi to jack d for me. He has visited my old place before and its been awhile.
Best,
Victor
Sierra Audio

Postby jadis » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:35 pm

Sierra Audio wrote:Hi Jadis,
Thanks for the welcome, if anyone in this site needs horn loudspeaker trouble shooting or design questions.. Im willing to contribute to this site my little knowledge in the area of horn designs. What ever i can to help in our audio community.
Say hi to jack d for me. He has visited my old place before and its been awhile.
Best,
Victor

That's great to hear. Most certainly. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby JackD201 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:30 am

Sierra Audio wrote:Hi Jadis,
Best,
Victor

Buddy! Nice to see you here. I must say you are much too modest! I just learned that one of my very dear and old friends is your cousin. Lasse and I have known each other since I was in high school :)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby Mamimili » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:39 pm

Incredible :clap: :inlove:

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday to have a Studer A807 or an A812 or an A820 or just an Akai Pro
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby jadis » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:45 pm

Mamimili wrote:Incredible :clap: :inlove:

But I'm not the only one

Nice song, Paul. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby Mamimili » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:06 pm

jadis wrote:
Mamimili wrote:Incredible :clap: :inlove:

But I'm not the only one

Nice song, Paul. :)

a bit of a lilt to it....there is no way to comment on the previous posts, speechless!
Mamimili
Master
Master

PreviousNext

Return to Jadis' Corner