importing cd to itunes

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

importing cd to itunes

Postby 911324 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:20 am

when importing cd to itunes. which is better apple losless or aiff?
Citizen
Citizen

Re: importing cd to itunes

Postby zoo101 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:32 am

1. File Size, AIFF is waaaay bigger than Apple Lossless (compressed).
2. Compatibility, AIFF will play on most devices. Apple lossless would play on limited devices (apple devices + some)
3. SQ, depends on the listener really. i dont hear any difference but some do.
zoo101
Citizen
Citizen

Postby 911324 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:40 pm

thanks for that info :)
Citizen
Citizen

Postby zoo101 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:03 pm

no problem. i've recently started ripping my cd's as well using apple lossless compression. average file size per track is between 16mb to 28mb.
zoo101
Citizen
Citizen

Postby muypogi » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:50 am

911324 wrote:when importing cd to itunes. which is better apple losless or aiff?

If you live in an apple ecosystem, ALAC (apple lossless) is the best. Pero dumdami na rin yung 3rd party support ng ALAC. Olive music units I think support lossless.
muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby egay » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:57 am

muypogi wrote:
911324 wrote:when importing cd to itunes. which is better apple losless or aiff?

If you live in an apple ecosystem, ALAC (apple lossless) is the best. Pero dumdami na rin yung 3rd party support ng ALAC. Olive music units I think support lossless.

Moy,
In my system*, I first ran all new rips in ALAC, and then I also tried AIFF, suddenly the ALAC sounded thin and steely and really below par than AIFF.
so now I re-ripped my stuffs to AIFF... about 300 albums. I still maintained my 'old' MP3s because these are just what my iPod (and Mac Pro via iTunes) can play. I have FLACs and WAVs playing through my media center.

Besides Computer Audiophile, I really liked Empirical Audio's approach to digital music : http://www.empiricalaudio.com/computer-audio/

I hope this helps.

.e.
:hai:

*iPod & MacPro on Cambridge Audio iD100 Dock through ARC DAC7 via AES/EBU and an ARC system.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby muypogi » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:19 am

egay wrote:
muypogi wrote:

Moy,
In my system*, I first ran all new rips in ALAC, and then I also tried AIFF, suddenly the ALAC sounded thin and steely and really below par than AIFF.
so now I re-ripped my stuffs to AIFF... about 300 albums. I still maintained my 'old' MP3s because these are just what my iPod (and Mac Pro via iTunes) can play. I have FLACs and WAVs playing through my media center.

Besides Computer Audiophile, I really liked Empirical Audio's approach to digital music : http://www.empiricalaudio.com/computer-audio/

I hope this helps.

.e.

*iPod & MacPro on Cambridge Audio iD100 Dock through ARC DAC7 via AES/EBU and an ARC system.

I was in a crossroads before when I was deiding whether to rerip my cds to aiff or alac from 320kbps AAC. I found AIFF to be a bit "airier", but otherwise the difference in all my sytems was not material. I found tht switching DACs had a bigger effect vs changing from ALAC to AIFF. But YMMV of course on different systems. . . Chose ALAC as I wanted to fit my music in my laptop's HDD.
muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby egay » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:59 am

I found tht switching DACs had a bigger effect vs changing from ALAC to AIFF.

well, so far I've been using one DAC for 3 years now so I supposed my comparison with AIFF vs ALAC is more meaningful to me.

what I've noted, too, is that when running all my digital sources into my DAC, the difference in SQ between codecs became almost meaningless; in fact, even the SQs of a CDP, DVD, BD, and iPod+dock became so close that there are times i am not sure what is playing.

yes, the DAC is a leveling field.

so choose well.

enjoy!

.e.

egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby muypogi » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:29 pm

+1 on the DAC change. FInally had a chance to listen to the 1st gen X-DAC that I bought for a planned second system. Was pleasantly surprised that the X-DAC was very musical and more than held its own vs my current 32-bit Fostex DAC. Not as revealing, but the music was "bilog", for lack of a better term and was quite very pleasant to listen to. Listened to my ALAC/AAC files, instead of cueing up my table . . . ;)
muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Voltraizer » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:06 pm

muypogi wrote:+1 on the DAC change. FInally had a chance to listen to the 1st gen X-DAC that I bought for a planned second system. Was pleasantly surprised that the X-DAC was very musical and more than held its own vs my current 32-bit Fostex DAC. Not as revealing, but the music was "bilog", for lack of a better term and was quite very pleasant to listen to. Listened to my ALAC/AAC files, instead of cueing up my table . . . ;)

+2 on dac rolling! ;)
saw that one too FS@ pdvd, naunahan lng ako ng marami!!! haba ng pila..i think it's the model with hdcd decoder! congrats muy! :clap:

+1000 on ALAC lalo na pag me ALAK :beer:
' ika nga ni rvc basta me alac, lahat maganda :up:
Voltraizer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to Digital