THANKING WS GEAR AND SOFTWARE SELLERS

For Vinyl and Record lovers: turntables, cartridges, etc.

Moderator: dante

THANKING WS GEAR AND SOFTWARE SELLERS

Postby sumnerbrowne » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:25 am

Hope you all had a great Christmas celebration with your respective families.

Just want to share with you something unplanned albeit wonderful that happened towards the end of our family reunion this Dec 25.

To provide a conversation piece and some "not so pompous" musical background, I positioned by TEAC GF-350 near the dining area where it played mostly non-attention grabbing new age Christmas albums (i.e., December by George Winston, Winter Solstice by Windham Hill, Winter by David Lanz and Michael Jones.) As expected, my relatives were awed and intrigued by the turntable and the vinyl. "Kids" one of my aunts remarked to her teenage kids, "this was how we used to listen to records before CDs, MP3s and Ipods." I told them apologetically that the sonic experience of listening to vinyl is best captured by a true blue workhorse like a Technics or a Rega as the TEAC is an entry level turntable good for some background listening. To which they all chorused, "sige nga parinig nga." "O sige" I said "but you need to stay for a least 2 albums worth of listening experience matagal kasi iset-up yan sa baba eh." They seemed pleasantly surprised to learn that most big name artists these days come out with vinyl formats of their latest recordings. I then played Adele 21 to prove my point but I had to apologize to them as the sonic capability of the TEAC could not do justice to Adele's powerful voice.

And so it was that as our festivities were winding down they remembered about my promise and off they went to our bedroom cum music room. My set-up is pretty modest compared to what you would normally find in the hallowed threads of WS members' set-up: I have a Rega P3 24 and a Technics 1200 Mrk3 powered by a Rega Brio 3 ably assisted by Rega RS1 speakers. We started with Beat It, Billy Jean and Human Nature from MJ's Thriller and the look and expression on their faces throughout the first 3 cuts told me I may have gained some analog converts yesterday or at least planted some seeds for further analog nurturing in the not so distant future. My audience consisted of 1 grade schooler, 2 highschoolers, their 55-year-old dad and their 45-year-old mom along with my 65-year-old dad who's into vinyl already. After select cuts from Thriller, my suspicion was validated with: "Wow, Tito ang ganda ng tunog!" and "Grabe, ibang klase pala pag plaka." This was my cue to share how and why the sound that comes from vinyl is superior to the sound that comes from an MP3, a CD or an Ipod (although Neil Young and Frank of The Fort are doing something neat about that.) Building on my consultative training approach, I then asked them, "What do you want to hear next?" While waiting for them to decide I pulled out John Williams and the Boston Pops in Space and played the Superman Theme and Empire Strikes Back. More oohs and wows! And then came the first request, Sound of Silence off the Simon and Garfunkel Concert at Central Park. This was from my uncle. Followed by Dancing Queen from Abba Gold. "Di ba mahal yan?" asked my uncle. "Yung mga sealed yes. But there's some thrill involved in the hunt and if you go to places like Vinyl Dump where I got this --- I showed him a NM copy of Dirty Dancing OST --- you can enjoy some Jennifer Warnes and Bill Medley and then some for Php 250. Also the price just like paintings is relative to the premium you associate with the album you're looking for." I then played Time of My Life which the kids realized was a much better version then the BEP's revival. The kids then ask for Sum 41 and Extreme which I don't have. But I countered, "you play the guitar, right? What do you love to play?" The highschooler goes: "Hmmm...Tears in Heaven by EC." That I have and then I handed him the album jacket of Unplugged by EC and proceeded to play Clapton's ode to his son Conor. Up next, from the gradeschooler and the highschooler, "Do you have Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen?" "Coming up next!" I said. I then handed them my album references (i.e., Top 100 Albums of the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s and the RS Greatest 500 Albums of All Time) for them to browse while I pulled out my Queen Greatest Hits album. And then the highschooler goes, "Do you have Coldplay Tito?" "Which Coldplay?" I asked. "My fave," she said, "Viva La Vida." "Surely," but before I played it I awarded her with a NASA trivia --- "did you know that this was the wake-up song that the NASA astronauts asked Houston control to play for them on their last morning in space aboard the now- retired space shuttle?" And off my Coldplay Q Magazine issue went to her hands. Elated by the Viva La Vida experience, she asks for one more. "Do you have Fix You also by Coldplay?" Yes, from the X & Y album. And then their mom goes, "How about some OPM by say, the Apo." "Ah, yes. Which Apo song? I only have 1 album." Good thing she asked for Awit ng Barkada from Mga Kwento ng Apo album. By this time, they were singing along. The highschooler then asks for Stairway to Heaven from the Led Zeppelin IV album. "How come you know all these songs?" I asked. They then chorused: "It's because of Glee, Tito and the Voice and American Idol." Oh, I see. Which gave me a thought: "Let's see if you can spot this one," I challenged them. I then played the first cut from Journey's Escape and even before Steve Perry sang the first line, they all shouted at the top of their voices, "Don't Stop Believing, don't stop believing!" Unfortunately, both their parents have work today so our session had to end after Steve Perry's driving rendition. But they all said, it was an awesome experience they'd like to repeat. And as they were leaving, I got bombarded with questions that are music to the ears of audiophiles everywhere: where can we buy a turntable? where do you get your records? how much do they cost? what is the average cost? how do I set that up with the Bose speakers in our music room? how many albums do you have? do you have 45s?, etc.

My wife and my dad congratulated me after for holding court and entertaining our analog converts in the making. In my mind, I realized that grand experience of theirs would not have happened had it not been for the men and women of Wired State and some non-WS analog enthusiasts who have lent a helping and friendly hand to me along the way. The people who do not just sell but who are really into this because of the passion and the fulfillment that comes with each vinyl spun, each album held on the edges, each album jacket read and gazed at, each album located and handed off to you at MCS, Libis, Cubao, Greenhills, etc. Salamat TAS, Bebop, Spare, Doasmarx, Vinylhead, Boytoy, Grey Market, Recordmogul, Merlin, Superman, Vinyl Dump, MRI. Salamat, Hypertriode, WattsHifi, AVDI and Nick Sy. Salamat sa mga insights at payo, Audiostar, Kabubi, Jadis, BB3, Voltraizer, Arnel, Jon, Docsialu, and the rest of our WS bros and sis. Salamat, Vintage Dog, De Tubo, Jack and the team behind WS. Sana wala akong nakalimutan.

Mabuhay po kayo! VIVA LA WIRED STATE!
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Re: THANKING WS GEAR AND SOFTWARE SELLERS

Postby TheAnalogSource » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:33 am

Congrats and welcome Von :)
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby jundai15 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:47 am

That's very good expirience to share our passion to some relatives/friends, and after the session, It seems that they are very excited to set-up their own gears. Great job and Happy New Year :)
jundai15
Citizen
Citizen

Postby detubo » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:35 am

Von, make sure they attend the Hifi Show's 10th anniversary!
detubo
Master
Master

Postby 99khan » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:45 am

Excellent blow-by-blow encounter. Congratulations Von.
99khan
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby sumnerbrowne » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:47 am

detubo wrote:Von, make sure they attend the Hifi Show's 10th anniversary!

Will do, Tonyboy. :-)
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby sumnerbrowne » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:48 am

TheAnalogSource wrote:Congrats and welcome Von :)

Thanks Nols, the main man himself. :-)
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby sumnerbrowne » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:49 am

99khan wrote:Excellent blow-by-blow encounter. Congratulations Von.

Thanks, Bro 99Khan!
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby sumnerbrowne » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:50 am

jundai15 wrote:That's very good expirience to share our passion to some relatives/friends, and after the session, It seems that they are very excited to set-up their own gears. Great job and Happy New Year :)

Thank you, Jundai15. Have a great 2013 as well. :-)
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby bb3 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:48 pm

Von, do you realize that for those few short hours, you were St. Nick giving the gift of music to your pamangkins?
The gear can be bought, but the appreciation for music that you imparted was truly a 'Mastercard' moment.
Merry Christmas!
bb3
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:15 pm

Merry Christmas Von and you're welcome on behalf of the entire mod team :) We appreciate highly your contributions to the community. We may not post replies all the time but we are always watching. :devil: :D :D :D

We will be trying to implement some changes this year to make WS easier to navigate and thus more dynamic. These are things we've mapped out but haven't yet been able to get together to do.

With the Mayan Calender safely behind us, we should get things done this year. No we weren't busy building bunkers, it's just been a hectic year for all of us. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby sumnerbrowne » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:32 pm

bb3 wrote:Von, do you realize that for those few short hours, you were St. Nick giving the gift of music to your pamangkins?
The gear can be bought, but the appreciation for music that you imparted was truly a 'Mastercard' moment.
Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas, Boy. Thanks for the nice compliment, bro. Looking back, I guess what made it also wonderful for me was its being completely unplanned and the fact that I was making up the playlist based on what they were throwing at me. Over the years, the rewards of listening to analog has largely been an exercise at solitude and alone-time to fight back at the stress coming from the workplace. It was the first time for me to make a case for analog before a digitally-raised group of listeners. :D
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby sumnerbrowne » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:36 pm

JackD201 wrote:Merry Christmas Von and you're welcome on behalf of the entire mod team :) We appreciate highly your contributions to the community. We may not post replies all the time but we are always watching. :devil: :D :D :D

We will be trying to implement some changes this year to make WS easier to navigate and thus more dynamic. These are things we've mapped out but haven't yet been able to get together to do.

With the Mayan Calender safely behind us, we should get things done this year. No we weren't busy building bunkers, it's just been a hectic year for all of us. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Merry Christmas, Jack and our WS Mod Team. Thanks for the note of appreciation. Looking forward to the next-level format of WS.

Here's to an even greater 2013 :rock: !
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby Superman » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:36 pm

Congratulations Von! You have shared the gift of music to your family! All the best! :angel:
Superman
Master Showman

Postby jamants » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:13 pm

Salamat din sa support Von, happy listening :rock: :rock: :rock:
jamants
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby sumnerbrowne » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:37 am

Thanks, Jen and Jay. :-) Here's to a better 2013. :-)
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby Jon Agner » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:19 am

It's a nice year ender post Von :) The passion for music is indeed inside you :) May the passion for music grow more in you in the years to come :D
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby hypertriode » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:43 am

Save for the occasional posts from the vinyl sellers and the dynamic duo (endrik35 and philpath) you have single-handedly filled the lull for the past year at Wiredstate with your posts Von! Agree with Jon, a great year-ender post indeed! Further stamps ANALOG as the biggest audio newsmaker of the year that was! :)
hypertriode
Grand Master

Postby sumnerbrowne » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:48 am

hypertriode wrote:Save for the occasional posts from the vinyl sellers and the dynamic duo (endrik35 and philpath) you have single-handedly filled the lull for the past year at Wiredstate with your posts Von! Agree with Jon, a great year-ender post indeed! Further stamps ANALOG as the biggest audio newsmaker of the year that was! :)

Thanks, Rene for the nice compliment. :-) Sabi kasi ni Redbeard, dalas dalasan ko daw magsulat.
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby zenaudio » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:40 pm

Nice story. :up:
Thanks for sharing.
:)
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Next