Apple Airport Express problems

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

Apple Airport Express problems

Postby qguy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:51 pm

Got an Apple Airport Express, cant seem to get the USB to Dac connection to work. I am getting a flashing Amber light, the headphone out work.

When I use the Airport utility I get an error that it can connect to the apple wireless device
qguy
Master
Master

Re: Apple Airport Express problems

Postby Gau_Ban » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:53 pm

It isn't clear to me what you did. My best guess is that you tried to connect the DAC to the USB port of the Airport express. Is that right? See this than to clarify your problem.

http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/question/answers/product/TX583VC/A?pqid=QTYD4PTH7TXJPT4TTKX77TF47T22KF7YF
Gau_Ban
Citizen
Citizen

Postby qguy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:07 pm

i connected my USB dac to the airport express via USB cable, I think i need to use an optical cable as the APE has optical outputs.

Will try again tomorrow as my other DAC with optical inputs is in the office.

Another problem i have is that when I am able to use the headphone out of the APE, my Internet connection is disabled, when i connect my wireless network, my APE is disconnected, I can't seem to connect both at once
qguy
Master
Master

Postby muypogi » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:58 am

qguy wrote:i connected my USB dac to the airport express via USB cable, I think i need to use an optical cable as the APE has optical outputs.

Another problem i have is that when I am able to use the headphone out of the APE, my Internet connection is disabled, when i connect my wireless network, my APE is disconnected, I can't seem to connect both at once

Airplay using ITunes via Airport Express only works via toslink, so you need a mini toslink to toslink cable. You can find one sa Ace under the AudioPro brand, which has 2 adapters.

The headphone out is actually the combo toslink / analog out.

As for the connection, that's the first time I've seen that, as the Airport Express is usually plug and play.

Also, Airplay only works if the Airport Express is in the same wireless network or is the main wireless router for your wifi network. Try using it as your primary router from your DSL modem line.
muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby JackD201 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:21 am

I've had peculiar experiences discovering AAEs with a MacBook. I had to move around quite a bit and ended up on my belly some feet away. After that however, it was easily found. Weird.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby Pause » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:15 am

muypogi wrote:
qguy wrote:i connected my USB dac to the airport express via USB cable, I think i need to use an optical cable as the APE has optical outputs.

Airplay using ITunes via Airport Express only works via toslink, so you need a mini toslink to toslink cable. You can find one sa Ace under the AudioPro brand, which has 2 adapters.

The headphone out is actually the combo toslink / analog out.

As for the connection, that's the first time I've seen that, as the Airport Express is usually plug and play.

Also, Airplay only works if the Airport Express is in the same wireless network or is the main wireless router for your wifi network. Try using it as your primary router from your DSL modem line.

Very correct Mr. muypogi, qguy you may have configured two separate settings for your airport express, I have mine set up for both internet surfing and music streaming and I can do both but I remember when I first set it up I may have had the same problem as you. You have to go to Airport utility and click on the APE icon, then the edit button, it will give you a dialog box with tabs and you have to set up from there.

And yes, you have to use toslink, airport express has no USB out, that usb port is usually used for printing I believe.
Pause
Citizen
Citizen

Postby qguy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:23 am

Thanks will experiment later...
qguy
Master
Master

Return to Digital