Another help needed: iTunes Store

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

Re: Another help needed: iTunes Store

Postby rtsyrtsy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:22 pm

I've had experiences downloadng distorted music from iTunes. It was an OPM Christmas single.

I wrote to Apple and they refunded my purchase after 3-4 working days.
rtsyrtsy

Postby egay » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:56 am

carbondated wrote:Hi Egay,

I recently bought an album I've been waiting for -- A Fine Frenzy's new release, Pines -- because it had been 'remastered for iTunes', and I was impatient. The album was so good I had to stop listening because the bass drum was breaking up, the layering was a mush... I bit the bullet and paid again for the CD and the difference is night and day. I'll spend my iTunes credit on apps and stuff, but for music it's a waste of money :(

C.

Hi C. ,
yeah, I believe I'd do that, too...

I am actually thinking of getting the Amarra or some other 'audiophile-grade' players for Mac but since my experience with the OS/Hardware isn't so encouraging, I am staying in Windows for the moment.

BTW, I wrote Ayre regrading their take on digital audio (QB9 + QA9) and I've had some very encouraging recommendations from them.
I listened to this combo in HK, in an all-Ayre system with Sasha speakers, and I was mesmerized... heck, that digital system sounded "better" than the Wadia 581se that was also on demo (and I hated that :| because I am a Wadia fan). Anyway, I just told myself "there are variables" :geek:

TC.

.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby egay » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:03 am

Gau_Ban wrote:ALAC is the original file with some kind of PKZIP-like (Huffman) compression. So it should be close to CD-quality.

My question is when you synced with your ipod, did you choose the option to downconvert to a lower bitrate AAC?
See here:
http://www.macworld.com/article/1168069/ask_the_itunes_guy_converting_music_files.html

The only other thing I can think of is that you might be sensitive to the artifacts of ALAC conversion.

hmm, no I have not but I will. Thanks for the link.
I mean I believe I have to if I will convince myself I have not just wasted my money on this MacBook Pro and the 160GB iPod Classic (I have another one for my daughter) :^)

Ayre sent me a write-up regarding digital audio and it 'sort of' re-opened my mind... I will share the document in a while.

I still believe digital audio is 'the way to go' but whether or not I will use the Mac-version is a hanging question, because as of now, I am sticking with WAV & FLAC and patiently use my iPod in my car audio until I find a suitable replacement... maybe a ZUNE can be something although I will not e able to play FLACs.... stay tuned.

Thanks.

.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby egay » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:07 am

rtsyrtsy wrote:I've had experiences downloadng distorted music from iTunes. It was an OPM Christmas single.

I wrote to Apple and they refunded my purchase after 3-4 working days.

Hello R,
Actually, the few downloads I purchased from iTunes were all 'good' (David Benoit, Yoyo Ma, etc) but I am staying away for the moment until I sorted-out my system.

Jerry Cards had been sending enticing offers but I had to control myself :$

TC.

.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Gau_Ban » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:38 pm

Egay,

I was guessing that maybe you had selected the option to downconvert and that is why you find the ipod files inferior. If not, the problem lies elsewhere.

GB
Gau_Ban
Citizen
Citizen

Previous

Return to Digital