Retensioning tube sockets

For the serious and not so serious in audio: DoItYourself and Tubes (SET, PP, Vintage).

Moderator: kabubi

Retensioning tube sockets

Postby edgarryan » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:07 am

Is there anyone here who can retension tube sockets? Medyo takot akong gumalaw. I don't know how to discharge a capacitor properly, although when I last tried to tinker with the socket, di naman ako nakuryente.
edgarryan
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Retensioning tube sockets

Postby brady » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:50 am

depends what sockets you're using. if they're the popular ceramic, you can use a long-nose pliers to pinch the sockets.

pull out the tubes, "tuwara ang amplifier" (I can hear the Visayan speaking guys snickering), and then "kuota ang ningsiwil" (oh, my...), and pinch from below. :D
brady
Citizen
Citizen

Postby qguy » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:06 am

To be safe, leave it on off position overnight. Tube amps have different size ng capacitors, if there is a bleeder resistor across the caps, discharging should be faster, but since were dealing with LETHAL voltages better safe than SHORTED

edgarryan wrote:Is there anyone here who can retension tube sockets? Medyo takot akong gumalaw. I don't know how to discharge a capacitor properly, although when I last tried to tinker with the socket, di naman ako nakuryente.
qguy
Master
Master

Postby tony » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:26 am

if it were me, i would replace the sockets that had become loose... 8)
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby edwin » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:24 am

tony wrote:if it were me, i would replace the sockets that had become loose... 8)

+1
edwin
Citizen
Citizen

Postby edgarryan » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:23 am

Where can I source a socket for a 7408 tube?
edgarryan
Citizen
Citizen

Postby tony » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:09 am

edgarryan wrote:Where can I source a socket for a 7408 tube?

i have some, how many do you need? you can pick them up in the house, 0921-509-5191....
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby edgarryan » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:32 pm

I think I have made a temporary solution to the hum and crackle problem of my tube amp. Only one socket is causing the problem. The sockets I purchased did not really fit the existing slot in the chassis. Furthermore, the old sockets are rivetted to the chassis. I tried and tried to retension, but the problem still persisted. What I did was to place a small piece of folded paper underneath the tube to act as a wedge. Now the unnecessary noises are gone.

Is this safe?
edgarryan
Citizen
Citizen

Return to DIY and Tubes