HELP PLS: DTS-CAPABLE 5.1 SOUND SYSTEM

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

HELP PLS: DTS-CAPABLE 5.1 SOUND SYSTEM

Postby sumnerbrowne » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:11 pm

Hi WS,

I got ahold of a rare copy of THE END OF THE INNOCENCE by Don Henley, possibly the best album of his solo career. The cover says it's for a DTS-CAPABLE 5.1 SOUND SYSTEM. However, when I tried playing it on my SONY DVD/CD component system which is DTS-CAPABLE, no sound would come out. Ditto with the SONY DVD/HDMI hooked up to a BRIO3. Ditto with a TEAC Micro-Component System connected to the BRIO3. No luck as well with my car's CD player.

What equipment should I have to make this thing run?

Thanks.
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Re: HELP PLS: DTS-CAPABLE 5.1 SOUND SYSTEM

Postby TheAnalogSource » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:03 am

press AUDIO on the remote...and select stereo
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby sumnerbrowne » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:35 am

TheAnalogSource wrote:press AUDIO on the remote...and select stereo

Thanks, Nols. Tried that one but still nothing. Will bring it to your shop the next time I visit you for my analog needs.

Thanks.
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby joy_francisco » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:09 am

Just a little idea that might be of help: Did you tweak the system settings in the audio output like turn the DTS on? also set the proper signal carrier like HDMI or toslink. Intially when you first turned you dvd player on it will tell you to do this settings but to make sure, you might want to double check your players audio settings.
joy_francisco
Master
Master

Postby hypertriode » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:17 am

Hi Von. You have to connect the digital output of your DTS-capable DVD player to a DTS-capable A/V receiver to be able to listen to it.
Otherwise, get the regular CD-only or the Mo-Fi Ultradisc release :-)
hypertriode
Grand Master

Postby sumnerbrowne » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:35 am

joy_francisco wrote:Just a little idea that might be of help: Did you tweak the system settings in the audio output like turn the DTS on? also set the proper signal carrier like HDMI or toslink. Intially when you first turned you dvd player on it will tell you to do this settings but to make sure, you might want to double check your players audio settings.

Thanks, Joy! Appreciate it. Will try this out.
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby sumnerbrowne » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:36 am

hypertriode wrote:Hi Von. You have to connect the digital output of your DTS-capable DVD player to a DTS-capable A/V receiver to be able to listen to it.

Thanks, Rene. Na-intriga na tuloy ako as to what's so special about this DST DVD AUDIO disc. Is it really so special, distinct and in a class of its own? I wonder, I wonder...
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby sumnerbrowne » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:38 am

hypertriode wrote:Hi Von. You have to connect the digital output of your DTS-capable DVD player to a DTS-capable A/V receiver to be able to listen to it.

By the way, Rene. Please enlighten me: what is a Mo-Fi ultradisc release and where can I get one? Do most iconic albums like INNOCENCE have Mo-Fi versions?
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby joy_francisco » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:28 am

My bad summerbrowne, I didn’t do my research, hypertriode is absolutely right if you’re using a typical stereo system you won’t be able to play that disc unless it has an optional audio for two channel then you’re in luck.
joy_francisco
Master
Master

Postby hypertriode » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:37 am

sumnerbrowne wrote:

By the way, Rene. Please enlighten me: what is a Mo-Fi ultradisc release and where can I get one? Do most iconic albums like INNOCENCE have Mo-Fi versions?

Rave reviews:

http://www.soundstage.com/music/reviews/grev010.htm

http://www.allmusic.com/album/release/t ... 0000146036

For sale:

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/End-Innocence-G ... b-/3284042

The catalog:

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Studdabak ... gold_cds_/

:)
hypertriode
Grand Master

Postby sumnerbrowne » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:42 am

hypertriode wrote:
sumnerbrowne wrote:

Rave reviews:

http://www.soundstage.com/music/reviews/grev010.htm

http://www.allmusic.com/album/release/t ... 0000146036

For sale:

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/End-Innocence-G ... b-/3284042

The catalog:

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Studdabak ... gold_cds_/

:)

Many thanks, Rene.
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby AUDIO8 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:58 am

I listen to DVD audio on my HT set up it will not play even you set it on 2 channel because you need to turn on your monitor to set up everything on your OSD
AUDIO8
Citizen
Citizen

Postby sumnerbrowne » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:45 pm

joy_francisco wrote:My bad summerbrowne, I didn’t do my research, hypertriode is absolutely right if you’re using a typical stereo system you won’t be able to play that disc unless it has an optional audio for two channel then you’re in luck.

No prob, Joy. Thanks for the help in any case. Appreciate it.
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby sumnerbrowne » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:47 pm

AUDIO8 wrote:I listen to DVD audio on my HT set up it will not play even you set it on 2 channel because you need to turn on your monitor to set up everything on your OSD

Thanks, Audio8. Will give this a shot.
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Postby ESaudio » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:32 am

Your Sony DVD/CD component won't work even if it says DTS-Capable. The Age of Innocence DVD disc of Don Henley is encoded with true DTS 5.1 digital signal. So, you need a dedicated DVD player equipped with DTS decoder and you have to hook up that player via its digital out thru coax or optical output to a corresponding coax or optical input of your AV receiver which has an onboard true DTS decoder. It is not compatible with other audio formats like the so-called 7.1, 9.1, 10.1 or whatever multichannel audio systems they claim. DVD discs encoded with true DTS 5.1 digital signal is rather an old audio technology. DTS is totally different from its competitor "Dolby Digital". So, you really have to find that DVD player which can decode that true DTS-formated DVD disc. The new commercial DVD players do not disclose their true audio capabilities or specifications as they are mostly generic DVD players.
ESaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby sumnerbrowne » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:44 am

ESaudio wrote:Your Sony DVD/CD component won't work even if it says DTS-Capable. The Age of Innocence DVD disc of Don Henley is encoded with true DTS 5.1 digital signal. So, you need a dedicated DVD player equipped with DTS decoder and you have to hook up that player via its digital out thru coax or optical output to a corresponding coax or optical input of your AV receiver which has an onboard true DTS decoder. It is not compatible with other audio formats like the so-called 7.1, 9.1, 10.1 or whatever multichannel audio systems they claim. DVD discs encoded with true DTS 5.1 digital signal is rather an old audio technology. DTS is totally different from its competitor "Dolby Digital". So, you really have to find that DVD player which can decode that true DTS-formated DVD disc. The new commercial DVD players do not disclose their true audio capabilities or specifications as they are mostly generic DVD players.

Thanks for the inputs ESaudio.
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Return to Digital