The San Francisco Chronicles & L.A. Visit 2018

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

Re: The San Francisco Chronicles

Postby jadis » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:03 pm

PART 7: ENCORE :lol:

A few more pics I dug up, mostly foodographs. :) :inlove:

Occupy Oakland - The gang seemed to have taken the BART to crossbay SF. :lol:

And the cops are fully prepared to meet them head on.

Godiva Chocolates and Teddy Bears - things that melt a woman's heart. :lol:

Egg's Benedict at Sears Fine Foods, just opposite Saks Fifth.

Cheese Steak Sandwich at Tad's.

Steak and Eggs at Tad's:

Rib-eye/Tempura/Sushi Combo at Moshi Moshi Japanese Bar down 3rd Street. Yum Yum Yum... :lol:

My first Thanksgiving Turkey Dinner courtesy of our friends (a Chinese-Mexican couple). That night I developed a new slogan - 'the more I ate, the more I needed to eat." :D

jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby audiostar » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:22 pm

Excellent picture essay Phil :-) Had I known that my brother (the one who designed my fono stage) would spend some time in SF the same time you did, i could have set up a meeting sana between you and him. He's still there on a business trip away from his permanent abode in St. Agustine, Florida :-)
audiostar

Location: audio nirvana st., speakers corner ave. music city, mars

Postby jadis » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:34 pm

audiostar wrote:Excellent picture essay Phil :-) Had I known that my brother (the one who designed my fono stage) would spend some time in SF the same time you did, i could have set up a meeting sana between you and him. He's still there on a business trip away from his permanent abode in St. Agustine, Florida :-)

Thanks, Val. :) Sayang nga, I would have loved to meet your brother in SF, always nice to have some kabayans there to chat with. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby dimfer » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:24 pm

thanks for the picture report Phil. brought back memories of my 2008 SF trip (aba, more than 3 yrs na pala).

so, you finally got to meet the good doctor (oneobgyne).
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:27 pm

dimfer wrote:thanks for the picture report Phil. brought back memories of my 2008 SF trip (aba, more than 3 yrs na pala).

so, you finally got to meet the good doctor (oneobgyne).

My pleasure, Ding. Glad it brought back memories. And my last was 2007 though mostly I lived in the Fremont area and would visit Downtown only a couple of days. This time it was mostly downtown living.

Yeah, the good doctor was nice enough to tour me around the Danville area where he holds a clinic for 'beauty' after retiring as OB-Gyne. Ultra nice guy and super passionate audiophile.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:41 pm

And here are a couple of more shots of the good doctor in action, playing music. Btw, the room is a dedicated music room, and acoustically treated by Art Noxon's ASC products.

And finally, if a picture paints a thousand words, then this says what they all say about the 'heart'. :lol: (Pardon the horrible outfit, it's not a 'bullet-proof vest', I had to wear it because I needed one that has many pockets to put all those coins, camera, lip balm, etc.) :lol:

jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby dimfer » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:48 am

my utmost admiration to guys who have a lot of money, and knows how to enjoy it!
dimfer
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jadis » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:40 am

dimfer wrote:my utmost admiration to guys who have a lot of money, and knows how to enjoy it!

So do I, Ding. Which reminds me, I have to check my lotto ticket for last Tuesday's draw. :D

And this shot sent in by my brother-in-law, too good to pass on, and taken from the Cheesecake Factory in Macy's at Union Square. What a view!

jadis
Legend
Legend

The San Francisco Chronicles

Postby jadis » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:46 am

And on my last couple of days there, my cousin gave me these souvenirs, telling me that she works part-time as an usher at the Louise M. Davies Symphony Hall, home of the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra. She should have told me sooner, I missed another nice event. :lol:

jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby merlin » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:04 am

Any more tips for vinyl hunting in SFO?
merlin
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:11 am

merlin wrote:Any more tips for vinyl hunting in SFO?

Dong,

Sad to say, my own hunt was disappointing, and the stuffs at Rasputin and Amoeba are not really my type. My guess is the good ones are all on the net. Btw, if you're in the San Jose area, you can visit The Analog Room, of Brian Hartsell. They sell audio gears and records too. I went there once, but was too early. I couldn't wait till they open. :(
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby rtsyrtsy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:40 am

Thanks for sharing!

SFO has yet to be ticked off my bucket list. This gives me plenty of ideas on how to make the best of it when I finally do go.
rtsyrtsy

Postby jadis » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:21 pm

rtsyrtsy wrote:Thanks for sharing!

SFO has yet to be ticked off my bucket list. This gives me plenty of ideas on how to make the best of it when I finally do go.

Russ, I'm sure when you visit SF you'll give us a ton of lovely pictures. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby merlin » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:44 pm

jadis wrote:

Dong,

Sad to say, my own hunt was disappointing, and the stuffs at Rasputin and Amoeba are not really my type. My guess is the good ones are all on the net. Btw, if you're in the San Jose area, you can visit The Analog Room, of Brian Hartsell. They sell audio gears and records too. I went there once, but was too early. I couldn't wait till they open. :(

Thanks Phillip. Hopefully, I get to bring home pang benta for the upcoming HIFI Show. ;)
merlin
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:58 pm

merlin wrote:
jadis wrote:

Dong,

Thanks Phillip. Hopefully, I get to bring home pang benta for the upcoming HIFI Show. ;)

Anytime, Dong. Good luck and I\m sure you'll enjoy your trip. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:19 am

Dong, I just remember, in San Jose, there is Big Al's Record Barn. It's so huge that when you enter you will utter 'holy cow' to yourself. :lol: Parang Home Depot warehouse. :lol: The things is, the Lps generally are not of the NM quality but lots of collector's items but poor gradings lang nga. Al pointed to me a Beatles 'Butcher' cover behind him and told me he's selling it for $13,000! I asked him, 'you man the record is inside the jacket hung in your wall?', he replied: 'No, it's in my safety vault.' :D

I read in his website though that the store is closing down August 2012. Baka late ka na. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:53 am

The San Francisco Chronicles - 2015 Spring Edition :lol:

For once, there was no audio in this trip. It was supposed to be a mini-family reunion in the Bay Area late May but it became an impromptu sports hopping trip due to my son's clamor to attend live sporting events that were happening at that time. And so, we got some 'chance tickets' at the box office a few hours before game time, and it was Game 5 of the Western Conference Finals, at the Oracle Arena (some call it Roaracle Arena) in Oakland, between the eventual World Champion Golden State Warriors and the Houston Rockets.

And after a few days, another clamor to watch the reigning World Series Champions San Francisco Giants at the AT&T Park.

One thing I always enjoy strolling down Union Square is a sight like this, MAC promo at a street corner, in 16C weather. Burrrrr.

To be sure, this representation is and will always be a Boston Celtics fan, hail to New England! :D

jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby JackD201 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:09 pm

Sayang di tayo nagkita Phil. I tried to get tickets to game one or two of the finals but when I saw the prices nanghina ako!
JackD201
Immortal

Postby jadis » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:55 pm

JackD201 wrote:Sayang di tayo nagkita Phil. I tried to get tickets to game one or two of the finals but when I saw the prices nanghina ako!

sayang nga, jack. after getting the tickets my wallet was predictably lighter. and those were for the cheap seats. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby JackD201 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:16 pm

$700 for a bleacher seat yung alok for Game 2! Talo pa GS! Madami daming plaka yun :D
JackD201
Immortal

PreviousNext

Return to Jadis' Corner