Olive 03HD

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

Olive 03HD

Postby karlcastillo » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:48 pm

Any real world experiences with this piece of equipment? Very tempting instead of upgrading to a CD Player in the same price range.
karlcastillo
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Olive 03HD

Postby redline_xp » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:46 pm

karlcastillo wrote:Any real world experiences with this piece of equipment? Very tempting instead of upgrading to a CD Player in the same price range.

Hello Mr. Karl. Olive O3HD is you gateway to HD music. With a built in DAC, touch screen and a hard drive equivalent to 1,500 CD albums. All you need is to build you music library and enjoy the music. This is RIP-STORE-PLAY principle. It has an apple & android apps that you can use as a remote control with your mobile devices. Designated stores are in this link:

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=24938

- - - Distributor
redline_xp
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby John Martin » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:00 am

My friend has an Olive 06HD. Its very nice and heavenly but would not invest in a P230k equipment. You might want to consider a higher level such as the 04HD or 05HD. Not sure of the model.
John Martin
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby O.D. Yeo » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:06 pm

John Martin wrote:My friend has an Olive 06HD. Its very nice and heavenly but would not invest in a P230k equipment. You might want to consider a higher level such as the 04HD or 05HD. Not sure of the model.

I am very happy with the 04HD. Imho, what you are buying is convenience, more than anything else, particularly if you are just starting a digital library, starting from CDs and/or high rez downloads.

The main differences among the various models are the DAC and the storage size.
03HD: Has 500GB of storage. You can do the math and see if this is good enough for you.
Has no digital out, so you are captive to its built-in DAC. Suggest you listen and see if the SQ makes you smile.
04HD: Has 2TB of storage. This should be good enough for most humans.
Has a better DAC and digital out, allowing use of an external DAC. To some, including me, this is key.
06HD: Has 2TB of storage, the best DAC, digital out (and a bigger screen). But you pay for all these.

The downside to all of the above is that Olive uses proprietary technology to store and process all the music. While ripping, storing and backing up all the music is very easy, you cannot use any of these files if you decide to migrate to another (non Olive) platform. If you do, you go back to Step 1, start from scratch and redo everything all over again.
O.D. Yeo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby karlcastillo » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:24 am

Thanks for the inputs.
karlcastillo
Citizen
Citizen

Return to Digital