Burning CDs

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

Burning CDs

Postby edgarryan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:47 pm

I am ripping my original CDs and burning them into CDRs for use in my CD changer, as I'm afraid sooner or later the changer will jam and trap my original CDs inside and ruin them in the process. Here's my problem: the sound is distorted in some instances. The originals are fine. I have used both cheap CD-R King and branded Memorex CDRs, but the problem persists. What could the problem be? And what is the solution? Thanks.
edgarryan
Citizen
Citizen

Re: Burning CDs

Postby joy_francisco » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:09 am

edgarryan wrote:I am ripping my original CDs and burning them into CDRs for use in my CD changer, as I'm afraid sooner or later the changer will jam and trap my original CDs inside and ruin them in the process. Here's my problem: the sound is distorted in some instances. The originals are fine. I have used both cheap CD-R King and branded Memorex CDRs, but the problem persists. What could the problem be? And what is the solution? Thanks.

Use a different burner. That might be the culprit.
joy_francisco
Master
Master

Postby edgarryan » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:51 am

That's what I actually did. My desktop computer has two CD drives. First time I burned a CD, it was in the LG burner, and the second was in the Sony. I'll use my laptop next time, and see if that makes any difference.
edgarryan
Citizen
Citizen

Postby joy_francisco » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:27 am

That's a good idea, use a different sytem with different burner and also consider the burning software. There are lots of freebies software outthere but for me nero burning software is good enough. Good luck and i hope you can figure it out.
joy_francisco
Master
Master

Postby edgarryan » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:28 am

Thanks. I've used both Nero and Windows Media Player to burn the CDs. There was still distortion in the WMP-burned CDs, but less than in the Nero.
edgarryan
Citizen
Citizen

Postby muypogi » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:12 am

edgarryan wrote:I am ripping my original CDs and burning them into CDRs for use in my CD changer, as I'm afraid sooner or later the changer will jam and trap my original CDs inside and ruin them in the process. Here's my problem: the sound is distorted in some instances. The originals are fine. I have used both cheap CD-R King and branded Memorex CDRs, but the problem persists. What could the problem be? And what is the solution? Thanks.

Use the slowest speed you can bear when burning CDs. I've found for a 52x rated media and drives, 8x or even 4x burn gives a more consistent and error-free result. IMHO, the big desktop sized drives also burn better vs laptop drives when burning at faster speeds. Kung 4x and 8x CDR burning, pareho lang yung laptop and desktop drive.

I've skipped that phase altogether though and now rip my CDs lossless into my laptop and into iTunes. THe orig CDs then go to storage. . .

HTH.
muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby superwup » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:47 am

Maybe your computer equaliser and volume in the soundcard?

16 bit or 24 bit burning?

Could have many reasons.

The slower burn speed is good advice, try to read the links for more possibilities for what can be "wrong" while burning cd's

http://www.practicalpc.co.uk/computing/ ... audioe.htm

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... cc485b73b3
superwup
Citizen
Citizen

Postby edgarryan » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:30 am

Thanks for the replies. I've noticed that the fastest burning speed brings out the most distortion, that's why I used the Safe mode in Nero Copy Disc option, but the problem persisted, though greatly minimized. In WMP, I also used the slowest speed, and the same problem is there, but again, even more greatly minimized but not totally eliminated. I'm going to experiment later and see which brings about the best result.
edgarryan
Citizen
Citizen

Postby muypogi » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:53 am

edgarryan wrote:Thanks for the replies. I've noticed that the fastest burning speed brings out the most distortion, that's why I used the Safe mode in Nero Copy Disc option, but the problem persisted, though greatly minimized. In WMP, I also used the slowest speed, and the same problem is there, but again, even more greatly minimized but not totally eliminated. I'm going to experiment later and see which brings about the best result.

Baka the problem is in the ripping . . . try the slowest ripping speed with error correction. Then use the slowest possible burn speed with branded media.
muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby edgarryan » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:31 pm

I have exhausted many options na, pero ganun pa rin. Try ko sa ibang machine, baka sakaling umepekto.
edgarryan
Citizen
Citizen

Postby 99khan » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:15 pm

Is the problem already embedded on the discs? Have you tried playing the CDRs you burned in other players? Same result? Also, how old is your CD changer. The not so newer ones, though capable of reading CDRs , can be a problem. My NAD disc changer is an example. Namimili.
99khan
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby paeng » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:05 pm

I had a similar problem with a Rockford Fosgate:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2950

(I forgot to mention that I didn't buy the player because it came with the car.)

I discovered later that some players, including older ones, are picky when it comes to playing burned CDs. I found some pages which might explain why:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 924AAAEbRu

http://www.andybrain.com/archive/mb/bur ... player.htm
paeng
Citizen
Citizen

Return to Digital