Another help needed: iTunes Store

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

Re: Another help needed: iTunes Store

Postby egay » Sat May 26, 2012 11:08 am

Gau_Ban wrote:...
I also found out that you can edit your account information but it seems to switch over to a US address, you need an itunes card code handy.

Hi Gau_Ban,
How is this again?
Which account are you referring to, the local account in PH?

Catch you in 1 hour :hai:

.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby magnus » Sat May 26, 2012 11:32 am

egay wrote:
magnus wrote:@egay - I haven't tried this option but was planning to do this to download HD audio from HD tracks. You can download the Stealthy plug in which works for both Firefox and Chrome. What it does is it will allow you to have your ip identified as coming from the US which will then allow you to download. You can then use Paypal to pay for your purchase

Hi Magnus,
Thanks. This sounds interesting - but - I'm using Safari... which brings me to another question: are these 2 browsers you mentioned "better" than Safari? (BTW, i'm using 'this' MacBook Pro for my purchases, and then for these iTunes music nag sans :$

I'll this a serious thought over breakfast.

:hai:

hi egay,

My laptop and desktop is a PC system but I'm presently using a borrowed macbook pro right now as I type. I prefer Firefox to IE when I use a PC because of the plug-ins. Stealthy does not have a Safari version but I'm presently trying it just now using Firefox for the Mac. I hope this works as I don't like having to spend more dollars to make a purchase simply because our country is not included in the list for those allowed to purchase from sites like itunes
magnus
Citizen
Citizen

Postby egay » Sat May 26, 2012 12:59 pm

hi egay,

My laptop and desktop is a PC system but I'm presently using a borrowed macbook pro right now as I type. I prefer Firefox to IE when I use a PC because of the plug-ins. Stealthy does not have a Safari version but I'm presently trying it just now using Firefox for the Mac. I hope this works as I don't like having to spend more dollars to make a purchase simply because our country is not included in the list for those allowed to purchase from sites like iTunes.

My sentiments, exactly.
Please let me know if yours work and I will follow suit (Firefox + Stealthy).

I'm trying to buy the Jerry cards but my payments via Paypal does not go through (I'm in India at the moment - do you think this has some effect?).

Ok, bro, let me know your outcome?
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Gau_Ban » Sat May 26, 2012 1:12 pm

egay wrote:Hi Gau_Ban,
How is this again?
Which account are you referring to, the local account in PH?

Catch you in 1 hour :hai:

.e.

egay,

This is for itunes on a mac. The windows version might be different.

After you open itunes, look at the iTunes ID you are using. There is an arrow beside it. If you click on the arrow, a pop-up menu comes out and click on "Account." There is an option to change country/region. If you change it, there will be the consent form, and than a request to enter your payment info. There is an option to "Redeem a card". I don't have an itunes card yet, so I wasn't able to change my country/region.

Prior to this, I also deleted my credit card info.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1918
Gau_Ban
Citizen
Citizen

Postby magnus » Sat May 26, 2012 9:13 pm

egay wrote:
hi egay,

My laptop and desktop is a PC system but I'm presently using a borrowed macbook pro right now as I type. I prefer Firefox to IE when I use a PC because of the plug-ins. Stealthy does not have a Safari version but I'm presently trying it just now using Firefox for the Mac. I hope this works as I don't like having to spend more dollars to make a purchase simply because our country is not included in the list for those allowed to purchase from sites like iTunes.

My sentiments, exactly.
Please let me know if yours work and I will follow suit (Firefox + Stealthy).

I'm trying to buy the Jerry cards but my payments via Paypal does not go through (I'm in India at the moment - do you think this has some effect?).

Ok, bro, let me know your outcome?

No joy on using stealthy with itunes. :( Music downloads are done via itunes which is opened as a separate application and not through Firefox which has the stealthy plug-in.

On your question regarding Paypal not going through, I think it's due to your location which would have a different ip than where you signed up for Paypal. I think this would be some form of a security measure to prevent fraud.
magnus
Citizen
Citizen

Postby egay » Sat May 26, 2012 11:46 pm

Yes magus, i think you are right.

Anyway, I have tried creating my own new account using my brother's address in the US but i can't seem to fool the 'system' when i enter my credit card. I wonder how Gau_Ban did it?

YooHoo, GB :worried:
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby carbondated » Sun May 27, 2012 1:22 am

Hi Egay, you might have to start from scratch using a US iTunes gift card. Just invent a name and use your brother's address in the States, with a different Apple ID from the one you use for the Philippine store. I have both a UK and US account using multiple Apple IDs and you can log out and log in in the computer as you like. On a *device* such as an iPhone or iPad you can only change every three months, I believe... if you do a search for 'multiple Apple IDs' on the Apple support pages it'll show you where to type it in :) Good luck!
carbondated
Citizen
Citizen

Postby muypogi » Sun May 27, 2012 1:52 am

egay wrote:Yes magus, i think you are right.

Anyway, I have tried creating my own new account using my brother's address in the US but i can't seem to fool the 'system' when i enter my credit card. I wonder how Gau_Ban did it?

You can't use an RP credit card since the registration engine will check whether it is a US or foreign credit card. It will ask for your billing address and if it does not match the address you give it will ask for a US card.

Before kasi may option pa whether to use a credit card or prepaid card. Now, default of iTunes is to ask for credit card details. Even if you enter a Paypal account, the registration process will search for a US card in yoru Paypal account.

Best way really is to create a new account in iTunes. You can ask your brother to make an account for you, pagamit na lang ng credit card details niya. Then kayo na bahala mag usap I suppose if you don't want to buy prepaid cards. . .
muypogi
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Gau_Ban » Sun May 27, 2012 8:44 am

egay wrote:Yes magus, i think you are right.

You must use a US-based credit card. It also seems to be possible to change your region by using an itunes card.

When I examined the process for changing region, in the payment options you are asked to enter either your US-based credit card info or redeem an itunes code. So I am assuming that redeeming an itunes card at this stage will allow you to change your region.

After changing your refion, I am guessing that you will be able to change your address to a US based address by following the Apple Help link I posted before. I haven't done this yet. I am just guessing based on the screens info I saw.

HTH,

GB
Gau_Ban
Citizen
Citizen

Postby egay » Sun May 27, 2012 2:23 pm

Hi Guys!

I finally got my payment through and I am just waiting for Jerry to send me the my new iTunes ID & Password.

This was what I did last night:

1 I went to http://www.jerrycards.com and clicked on the SETUP Service for $5
    2 In the card payment section, I used my local address BUT used my brothers US City, ZIP code, and phone number; i used my local card for direct payment and did not go through my Paypal because, as Muy said, Paypal 'knows' and will reject (or kindly ask you to use another card). Wise a**
    3 Payment done, and I am waiting.

I'll report once i made my 1st purchase

8)
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby egay » Thu May 31, 2012 9:06 am

I have finally made my first iTunes purchase - a Yoyo Ma album - via iTunes cards, and it was a breeze.
After trying several options of setting-up my iTunes to get through the limitations of 'not being in the US' i can say that the best and simplest way is to get Jerrycards' services (and get ready your credit cards ;) ).

Here's how I did it:

1 go to http://www.jerrycards.com and buy the $5 service to set you up a US account
    2 you will receive an email giving you your email address/iTunes account complete with password, birthday, 3 security questions, etc - the works needed by iTunes
    3 log-in to your account to see if its working (it should, else, email jerry and you've got you answer in quicks)
    4 purchase your iTunes gift card. I am not sure but maybe there are others that sell these; it's up to you, but I used jerrycards
    5 you will receive a scanned-copy of the card
    6 go all the way down iTunes and click "Redeem"
    7 input your gift card code. It will ask you 2 of the 3 security questions jerry sent you; input and you're good to go

Perhaps you can ask someone in the US to setup an account for you, complete with a US-issued credit card... this is simpler than going through the above. But for us who did not want to do that, this, I believe, is the best.

On payments, as you move through the various steps, the process can detect if you have a Paypal account and asks if you want to do that. Unless your credit cards in Paypal are US-issued, DON'T use Paypal; click "continue as guest" and a new window comes in asking you of exchange rates stuff; complete your payments. Redeem.

I hope this will help others who are curious, like me, how iTunes can increase your music collection.

Thanks to you guys who have helped me in this "mini project" - you're all SUPER :clap: :clap: :clap:

greets!

PS: this 'mini project' is related to my digital system project. I am now in Singapore for business and a little pleasure, and among those "pleasures" I hope to do is not only to hunt for records, but to look for the WADIA 171i and the ONKYO NDS-1, make comparisons and maybe get one of them. If you need some things and I can help, please let me know via SMS (+63922.8800.227), VIBER, email, or WS. ciao!

.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Superman » Thu May 31, 2012 10:06 am

Go to ADELPHI now na hehehe!
Superman
Master Showman

Postby egay » Thu May 31, 2012 10:17 am

lakas ng ulan now; yesterday afternoon ganun din.

you have something in mind, Jen?
punta ako mamaya mga 3PM siguro
:P
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby zenaudio » Thu May 31, 2012 6:11 pm

Thanks, e., for sharing your iTunes experience. This is good for reference.

Hope the weather in Sing improves over the weekend... ;)
Do post your finds over there. :)
zenaudio
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby magnus » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:29 pm

egay - Good to hear about your finally being able to purchase from itunes. I can also confirm that the stealthy plugin also works with HDtracks in case you decide to purchase from there.

I also use an Onkyo ND-S1 to dock my ipod. It disables the ipod's built-in DAC and allows you to use an external DAC. It's a no frills, great bang for bucks dock in my experience.
magnus
Citizen
Citizen

Postby liveusasports » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:15 am

I found this one more cheaper and faster http://www.mygiftcardsupply.com/ I just Bought $50 iTunes Gift Card and it took around 5 mins to complete all the process
liveusasports

Postby John Martin » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:54 am

FYI, iTunes Phils has already launched an extensive selection of music.
John Martin
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby egay » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:23 am

John Martin wrote:FYI, iTunes Phils has already launched an extensive selection of music.

Thanks, JM.
But I think I'm OK for the moment.

I have ordered a few tracks from iTunes USA via Jerrycards. Then I ripped a number of my CDs to ALAC and stopped for frustration - the dammed thing sounded AWFUL!!!! :envy: ... ok, I have my iPod strapped to my Car audio system and mostly, the ALAC sounded stupidly crap... the FLACs and some of those MP3s sounded better.

Of course there are variables I have to hurdle but for now, I am thinking the apple-hype is simply a, well, HYPE.
I played them in my home audio and I validated the ALACs were crap.
Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Meanwhile, I'll stay with WAV or FLACs.

Be well!

.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby carbondated » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:35 am

Hi Egay,

I recently bought an album I've been waiting for -- A Fine Frenzy's new release, Pines -- because it had been 'remastered for iTunes', and I was impatient. The album was so good I had to stop listening because the bass drum was breaking up, the layering was a mush... I bit the bullet and paid again for the CD and the difference is night and day. I'll spend my iTunes credit on apps and stuff, but for music it's a waste of money :(

C.
carbondated
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Gau_Ban » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:32 am

ALAC is the original file with some kind of PKZIP-like (Huffman) compression. So it should be close to CD-quality.

My question is when you synced with your ipod, did you choose the option to downconvert to a lower bitrate AAC?
See here:
http://www.macworld.com/article/1168069/ask_the_itunes_guy_converting_music_files.html

The only other thing I can think of is that you might be sensitive to the artifacts of ALAC conversion.
Gau_Ban
Citizen
Citizen

PreviousNext

Return to Digital