35K DIY Challenge

Moderators: vintage_dog, JackD201

Re: 35K DIY Challenge

Postby hypertriode » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:44 pm

vintage_dog wrote:
alexg wrote:Are those TB2a3 chassis punched for the tube sockets?

If you guys are offering it for 1K, then I might get some for my 2a3 amp. Thanks.

yes they are punched for a pair of 2a3/300b sockets, a pair of octals and for a rectifier.

1k for participants only. will look for them in the bodega pa kasi :)

Reserve one for me bro. Thanks! :)
hypertriode
Grand Master

Postby alexg » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:52 pm

That's cool.

Thanks VD.

BTW, if I get one, do I need to use it for the challenge? :devil:
alexg
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:43 am

clarification on the chassis:

I made a mistake guys. the chassis we have available at 1k is the one for an 807 amp (octal) with one 9-pin driver only. this can accommodate 2a3 sockets too. we can only sell for use in the challenge. let me know if still interested.

sorry again.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:26 pm

amps for the competition:

2 designers will use 2A3
1 will use a penthode (SE-strapped)
1 will use a 45
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:43 pm

we have 7 systems. we are still open to accommodate just one (1) more! ;)
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby JackD201 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:04 pm

With 8 or less it would be perfect :) We can have one rack and use a switcher. Judging can be 4 at a time, a short break then next four. The benefit is that the amps can all be warmed up, we don't need a big venue and if it is close the finalists can be A/B'd :) All we need is a dealer with 4 affordable sets of ICs, PCs and SCs to lend. I can bring a rack, the EERA, a pair of reference ICs and the switcher. I can also bring an 8 output power conditioner. Wala naman sigurong magdadala ng monoblocks to a 35k challenge :)
JackD201
Immortal

Postby vintage_dog » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:37 pm

JackD201 wrote:With 8 or less it would be perfect :) We can have one rack and use a switcher. Judging can be 4 at a time, a short break then next four. The benefit is that the amps can all be warmed up, we don't need a big venue and if it is close the finalists can be A/B'd :) All we need is a dealer with 4 affordable sets of ICs, PCs and SCs to lend. I can bring a rack, the EERA, a pair of reference ICs and the switcher. I can also bring an 8 output power conditioner. Wala naman sigurong magdadala ng monoblocks to a 35k challenge :)

sige, let's limit to max 8 systems for this event.

:rock:
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

35K DIY Challenge

Postby alexg » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:07 pm

vintage_dog wrote:clarification on the chassis:

I made a mistake guys. the chassis we have available at 1k is the one for an 807 amp (octal) with one 9-pin driver only. this can accommodate 2a3 sockets too. we can only sell for use in the challenge. let me know if still interested.

sorry again.

hi VD, can you post pictures? Is it drilled for the OPT & power tranny, rca, iec and binding posts? Thanks.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?f24lgk
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alexg
Fanatic
Fanatic

35K DIY Challenge

Postby arnoldc » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:28 pm

Alexg, it is the 807 amp and it has many photos here as well as amazon. Nakita mo na yan. And yes drilled for every mounted component.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arnoldc
Legend
Legend

Postby lovejbl » Thu May 03, 2012 9:37 am

very exciting!
lovejbl
Citizen
Citizen

Postby trod93 » Sat May 05, 2012 7:55 am

lovejbl wrote:very exciting!

It sure is, pre. I have been encouraging the Malabon Boys to field an entry. Katuwaan lang naman. Nothing to lose, everything to gain - fun, excitement and new friends that'll make this hobby even more enjoyable. Hindi pa sila maka-decide. Alanganin sa 35k budget. Kilala mo naman mga katropa mo, mahilig sa big format horns, multi-amps and so on.

Speaking of audio contests, Malabon will hold its annual audio contest on the 11th of May. fyi
trod93
Citizen
Citizen

Postby vintage_dog » Sat May 05, 2012 8:48 am

We are looking at an after-summer event, most likely in the june-july timeframe.

This should give participants enough time for completing/tuning their creations and enough time for us to lock-in on a suitable venue.

Key challenge for us now is getting a good (and affordable) venue :)

The Heat is On!
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lovejbl » Sat May 05, 2012 8:57 am

trod93 wrote:
lovejbl wrote:very exciting!

It sure is, pre. I have been encouraging the Malabon Boys to field an entry. Katuwaan lang naman. Nothing to lose, everything to gain - fun, excitement and new friends that'll make this hobby even more enjoyable. Hindi pa sila maka-decide. Alanganin sa 35k budget. Kilala mo naman mga katropa mo, mahilig sa big format horns, multi-amps and so on.

Speaking of audio contests, Malabon will hold its annual audio contest on the 11th of May. fyi

1 am 10,000 miles away from malabon but I will let them know to join this fellowship. Regards to all, see you soon.
lovejbl
Citizen
Citizen

Postby BobT » Mon May 07, 2012 12:00 pm

I like this DIY Challenge concept!

For my own personal circumstances, it is worthwhile to spend some 35K PHP++ on this kind of stuff than to haul and pay $ for bringing back heavy gears from outside the country. Ah, if only the non-winning participants can also make their entry available to interested WSers for not more than 35K as well. :)
BobT
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Jon Agner » Fri May 11, 2012 4:51 pm

vintage_dog wrote:We are looking at an after-summer event, most likely in the june-july timeframe.

This should give participants enough time for completing/tuning their creations and enough time for us to lock-in on a suitable venue.

Key challenge for us now is getting a good (and affordable) venue :)

The Heat is On!

Good to know, as I've been quite busy with lots of other stuff that the speaker cabinets that I'm suppose to build are still on the drawing board up to now :$ :$ :$ :doh:
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby trod93 » Fri May 25, 2012 9:12 am

Seems like the TT tandem is ahead of the pack at the moment, I think.

My transmission line speaker entry is tuned, FINALLY :sweat: :) . It's a freestyle design. No box calculators here. I don't want to be constrained to a boxy design. Finishing na lang and I'm done with this one. The cost to build this one is way, way below the budget, but, took a lot of time and effort to tune it, the xo in particular. Still have a lot of headroom on my budget, so, these will be veneered (leftover from previous builds: ebony, teak, wenge crown or rosewood) and the tweeters in machined aluminum casings. These will look weird (retro/modern), as always, but, awesome. Better make the most out of the 30%.

I'll start working on another one next week. Much more simpler in design but bigger and louder. I just hope tukayo's SET amps can power them up. It'll have 15" woofers. Pasok pa rin sa budget as long as tukayo keeps the SET budget within the midrange. He'll make 2 amps also. Mix and match na lang kami when he's done as well.

The venue will play a big factor here. So, the more choices, the better the chances. :)
trod93
Citizen
Citizen

Postby lovejbl » Fri May 25, 2012 9:47 am

nice bro! kelan nga ang show down?
lovejbl
Citizen
Citizen

Postby tony » Fri May 25, 2012 10:25 am

i'm taking the chassis from the powder coater this afternoon, along with the wooden sidings......i have all the parts ready......my entry will be an all Russian tube SET amp..... 8)

i will give details right before the date..... :D
tony
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby narayan » Tue May 29, 2012 9:11 pm

JackD201 wrote:With 8 or less it would be perfect :) We can have one rack and use a switcher. Judging can be 4 at a time, a short break then next four. The benefit is that the amps can all be warmed up, we don't need a big venue and if it is close the finalists can be A/B'd :) All we need is a dealer with 4 affordable sets of ICs, PCs and SCs to lend. I can bring a rack, the EERA, a pair of reference ICs and the switcher. I can also bring an 8 output power conditioner. Wala naman sigurong magdadala ng monoblocks to a 35k challenge :)

I can take care of lending 4 pcs of identical and affordable power cables (shameless plug :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ) just say when ;)
narayan
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby trod93 » Tue May 29, 2012 9:38 pm

narayan wrote:

I can take care of lending 4 pcs of identical and affordable power cables (shameless plug :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ) just say when ;)

Reserve one for me.

Bagay sa theme ng event - audiophile grade gear for less. Bestseller sa kabilang bakod 'to!
trod93
Citizen
Citizen

PreviousNext

Return to 35K DIY Challenge