ANALOG OUTPUT TO AD/DA converter to improve sound

Music as represented in 1's and 0's. Discuss anything pertaining to D hardware - CD, DVD, SACD, DAC, etc.

Re: ANALOG OUTPUT TO AD/DA converter to improve sound

Postby edgarryan » Thu May 10, 2012 4:10 pm

It really is just curiosity on my part. I want to experiment using a tube DAC on my cd player. I am loving the tube sound, and adding a tube DAC may improve the SQ of my CDP. I am wary, however, because I am already using a Yaqin CD2 connected to a Dared MP5. Perhaps using a tube DAC would be too much.
edgarryan
Citizen
Citizen

Postby qguy » Thu May 10, 2012 8:49 pm

nothing is too much as long as the effect is pleasing to your ears...
qguy
Master
Master

Postby dieya! » Thu May 10, 2012 9:19 pm

Sir's what's an AD/DA converter?
dieya!
Citizen
Citizen

Postby egay » Thu May 10, 2012 9:52 pm

dieya! wrote:Sir's what's an AD/DA converter?

it's ANALOG-to-DIGITAL/DIGITAL-to-ANALOG converter.

the device that is easily recognizable by most music-lover is the DAC because that is mostly available as an "upgrade" path for digital players (i.e. used to be for CDPs only, now most digital players can benefit from an outboard DAC). there was a time when only a few audiophiles would go for a DAC (or separates: Transport + DAC combo) but this is now very common. in fact one can buy matchbox-sized DACs and have an 'upgrade' for cheeps.

the AD is not well-known to ordinary listeners because one does not really need this "on a standard setup" where you just plug-and-play. also, most sellers, even audiophile shops DO NOT readily carry this device because only those who have specific needs for this (and knows what it is) are looking for them. so, it is not as common as a DAC.

but this is changing now when everything is being digitized; even your beloved TT can now be digitized DIRECTLY from the output of your cartridge so that outboard phono stages will soon disappear and replaced by a DAC :worried: ... I have done this in the 90s and i will do it again once i get a credible AD (well, credible according to me).

long.
but i hope this helps you.

best,

.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Gau_Ban » Fri May 11, 2012 8:29 am

Edgarryan,

I just remembered you can buy a DVD player with a digital output and use that. That will be the cheapest and most cost-effective way for you to get a disc player/DAC combo. In the mall, an LG DVD goes for about 3k but in the sulit.com.ph site, there are people selling brand new (kuno) with manufacturer's warranty (daw) for much less.

gb
Gau_Ban
Citizen
Citizen

Postby edgarryan » Fri May 11, 2012 5:06 pm

Yup, puwede rin naman na ganoong route, pero sayang kasi yung CD player ko na walang digital outs dahil cd changer sya. Yung isa ko namang CD player, yun ang may digital. Ang sa akin lang, gusto ko lang i-explore ang possibilities na mapaganda pa yung SQ using my existing components. Buying a CDP with digital outs would only further choke my already overpopulated system.
edgarryan
Citizen
Citizen

Postby egay » Mon May 21, 2012 8:57 pm

so tukayo - any latest news about this search?
i want to know if you found an ADC that you liked.

.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby edgarryan » Tue May 22, 2012 2:40 am

Medyo nalihis ako ng landas eh. Nasa US kasi nanay ko, so time for me to buy things. For the past few weeks, tube equipment ang binibili ko, so wala munang DAC or ADC. Ubos na funds ko. Hehehe.
edgarryan
Citizen
Citizen

Postby egay » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:05 am

Ayre has an AD/DA combo - the QB9 ADC & QA9 DAC - designed for exclusive computer audio BUT I believe this can also work well for your purpose. Then again the expense may not justify them (I estimate a total of HK$ 50k :$ .

What I'm saying is that there are now solutions to getting excellent SQ out of ripped music (and CDPs, too).

I think this can be considered in your future audio system?

.e.
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Previous

Return to Digital