Pictures, Videos, & Everything Else

super-systems, audio insights...

Moderator: jadis

SRA & Azimuth pics

Postby jadis » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:43 am

On the subject of great looking pics of analog rigs, I was granted permission to post these super looking pics of how well aligned a cartridge/arm combination could be and demonstrated by its proper alignment to a grid. The author, Peter (ack from whatsbestforum.com) also mentioned: "Proper SRA has dramatically reduced intermodulation distortion, which can be easily verified with large scale choral music - grainy choruses now sound extremely smooth."

On correct azimuth: "Perfect Azimuth has expanded the soundstage and improved channel separation."

jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:13 pm

1 6 8

For the longest time my wife had been prodding me to join her to this phenomenon of a place opened many years ago called 168. And all those times I declined. Can't stand the traffic and the mob, as I heard it was. :lol: But the other day, I don't know what got into me, I said yes when she asked me again. :o My wife did say something like there's a good chinese fast food joint up there so maybe that was it. :lol: And upon arriving at the 168 premises, we immediately proceeded to the FOOD COURT. :clap:

WAI YING DIMSUM:

Ang daming branches pala ito sa Benavides St. So I imagine it must be good. Yes indeed. Food here is good. Soy Chicken, chongfan, siomai, all very tasty. :) I hope they open a branch in Banawe. :lol:

THIS IS WHERE THEY BLOW THEIR MONEY AWAY... :D

A VERY APT NAME TO ATTRACT THEY BUYERS - MURADITO :D Beside it is a bank to empty your accounts. And to the left, my initial reading of the stall was GET LAID! - yun pala GET LAUD! - 2 different things. :lol:

THERE IS EVEN A 'NEW WING' OR A PHASE 'WHATEVER'. :lol:

I must say that I've never been to any place quite like it, it's actually a huge place, with multi stories and surprisingly is well kept and organized. They tell me in November and December the place is packed like ants. Even now, the place is well packed with shoppers. The only things that would interest guys would be the hardwares - no, not amps or preamps but martilio and screw drivers. No tubes but lotsa bulbs, mga Made in China. :lol: The only thing I got is this so-called 'Money Waving Cat', it perpetually waves its left arm, to wave in daw money, $$$$ into your abode. :o Via solar power, to boot.

And, beside this mall is yet another mall called '999' and still another called Lucky Square. Amazing place in the heart of downtown Manila.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Re: When I Dream...

Postby jadis » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:21 pm

With the voice of Carol Kidd in the backdrop...singing

'When I Dream...I Dream of You'....

jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby sumnerbrowne » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:06 pm

jadis wrote:With the voice of Carol Kidd in the backdrop...singing

Nice drawing, Philip.
sumnerbrowne
Master
Master

Re: Pictures, Videos, ETC.

Postby TheAnalogSource » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:08 pm

wai ying used to have a branch in munoz in the late 90's which we frequent for our midnight snacks...but come sunday morning we still go to benavidez for the dimsum..... i know there's a lot of good dishes but what i can still remember up to now is that their siomai is the biggest there is...bigger than that of lingnam or masuki which are already double the size of most common siomai.
TheAnalogSource
Where beautiful music begins

Postby jadis » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:56 am

sumnerbrowne wrote:
jadis wrote:With the voice of Carol Kidd in the backdrop...singing

Nice drawing, Philip.

Thanks Von. I am reminded of myself in the 80s, when I was drooling and dreaming of ARC electronics. Once I had them, the dreams stopped. :lol:

Lesson: Buy them all ! :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:00 am

TheAnalogSource wrote:wai ying used to have a branch in munoz in the late 90's which we frequent for our midnight snacks...but come sunday morning we still go to benavidez for the dimsum..... i know there's a lot of good dishes but what i can still remember up to now is that their siomai is the biggest there is...bigger than that of lingnam or masuki which are already double the size of most common siomai.

Usually in my experience, if there is a main store in Binondo, the quality is better there. I remember there was a Ha Yuan in West Ave but they all say the one in Masangkay ba yon (?) is better. There's one in Banawe but very hard to park amidst all the 'car tint sales agents' out there. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:13 am

This one, from one the the old cover pages of TAS magazine, is a 'glorious' one. And I guess there must be a cathedral dome (tweeter) somewhere up there. :lol:

jadis
Legend
Legend

SRA

Postby jadis » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:27 am

A good friend whose passion in analog led him to purchase one of these, a Dino Lite Digital Microscope has reported that he heard great benefits by adjusting his SRA to the ideal 92 degrees with the tool, which can be plugged to a laptop and has accompanying software for this purpose.

Below, an actual pic using the Dino Lite:

Just for fun, and since I don't have such a high tech contraption, :lol: I experimented by running my cam into a typical magnifying glass and see how my stylus looks. I reckon it's a bit 'blurred. :lol: Pati ang dust, burred din. :lol:

According to my good friend, once the SRA is set at the desired 92 degrees, it should stay there forever. Some people believe that the SRA is more important than the VTA. That is subjective, of course. And one of these days, I'm gonna have to invite my friend over. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Re: SRA

Postby Jon Agner » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:41 am

jadis wrote:A good friend whose passion in analog led him to purchase one of these, a Dino Lite Digital Microscope has reported that he heard great benefits by adjusting his SRA to the ideal 92 degrees with the tool, which can be plugged to a laptop and has accompanying software for this purpose.

Below, an actual pic using the Dino Lite:

Just for fun, and since I don't have such a high tech contraption, :lol: I experimented by running my cam into a typical magnifying glass and see how my stylus looks. I reckon it's a bit 'blurred. :lol: Pati ang dust, burred din. :lol:

According to my good friend, once the SRA is set at the desired 92 degrees, it should stay there forever. Some people believe that the SRA is more important than the VTA. That is subjective, of course. And one of these days, I'm gonna have to invite my friend over. :lol:

Actually, both are needed to be precise, especially with uni pivots :) Its the reason why when I designed my uni pivot woody, All adjustments (SRA,VTA and azimuth) are all adjusted on the headshell, not on the pivot :)

Going back to the magnifying glass, those magnifiers really do come in handy :)
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby TheAnalogSource » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:41 am

ive been using that digital microscope for quite a while Philip to check condition of cartridges especially those pre-owns that have been offered for sale....

...however i have reservation if you really can measure a 1-2 degree difference just by sight with the device at sight....what could be done though is to make a snapshot of the stylus sitted on the record and plot the sra.
TheAnalogSource

Re: SRA

Postby jadis » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:56 am

Jon Agner wrote:Actually, both are needed to be precise, especially with uni pivots :) Its the reason why when I designed my uni pivot woody, All adjustments (SRA,VTA and azimuth) are all adjusted on the headshell, not on the pivot :)

That's good to know, Jon. And thanks for chiming in. :)
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:02 pm

TheAnalogSource wrote:Image

ive been using that digital microscope for quite a while Philip to check condition of cartridges especially those pre-owns that have been offered for sale....

...however i have reservation if you really can measure a 1-2 degree difference just by sight with the device at sight....what could be done though is to make a snapshot of the stylus sitted on the record and plot the sra.

that's great that you have one, nols. it's a nice tool. i agree with you re the reservations, and to add yet another reservation, i was wondering out loud to my good friend who bought the dino lite if a 2 degree adjustment can actually be HEARD. he says, if you have a system with outstanding resolution, like those top of the behemoths and ultra resolving analog rigs, you ought to hear the improvements, and one michael fremer has been preaching about it, specifically in this may 2012 issue of the mag that he writes for. agreed on the difficulty to adjust by sight. my friend says there is a program that comes with the dino lite that will let you see the stylus/cantilever on your computer monitor and it provides for grids/lines to show you the adjustments. it can be that accurate, via the monitor/grids.
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby kabubi » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:12 pm

mga guru,

where can i purchase a Dino Lite Digital Microscope? and how much does it cost here?
kabubi
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:38 pm

bubs,

first of all, we should be happy our beloved celtics are bound for playoffs with good showing in the last month. :clap:

and, i was told by my good friend he bought his dino-light here:

http://www.amazon.com/Dino-Lite-Digital ... B000P43IQY

included is a software for various apps, not just for peeking at cartridges. kung baga, let your imagination run wild. but for me, i can't think of others. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby jadis » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:46 pm

And btw, about 5 years ago, there was an interesting thread on cartridge alignment that touched on the SRA aspect.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=14650&hilit=SRA+rake
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby TheAnalogSource » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:31 am

jadis wrote:
TheAnalogSource wrote:wai ying used to have a branch in munoz in the late 90's which we frequent for our midnight snacks...but come sunday morning we still go to benavidez for the dimsum..... i know there's a lot of good dishes but what i can still remember up to now is that their siomai is the biggest there is...bigger than that of lingnam or masuki which are already double the size of most common siomai.

Usually in my experience, if there is a main store in Binondo, the quality is better there. I remember there was a Ha Yuan in West Ave but they all say the one in Masangkay ba yon (?) is better. There's one in Banawe but very hard to park amidst all the 'car tint sales agents' out there. :lol:

i beg to disagree, Ha Yuan in west when it was still a bungalow type is way way much better than the one in masankay. You know why, the grandma who supervise the cooking lives in west. Quality suffered when they build a multilevel building until they shut it down due to financial problem. Ha Yuan in QC triangle area is now located at the back of St. Peter Church.

But the store to look out for is the one in the newly build Greenhills Square along Gilmore. The granddaughter who now manage the stall tells us that her grandma still supervise the dishes because she lives with them. I was telling her though that some of the recipe have changed... example for the cuapao and the siomai mami but otherwise still are comfort food to me. Nag iba na daw panlasa ang ama nya hahaha

I have very fond memories of Ha Yuan....sobra suki kami dyan eating meryenda 3-4 times a week hahaha....

because i was assigned at the factory in Valenzuela, whenever i go to the office in QC for meetings...i would always urge the sales people to come with me to Ha Yuan leaving the office empty and the boss clueless hahaha

the taho in Ha Yuan is simply the best then. Last time we ate in the square, it is still good. For a time, i think even manhann got their taho from Ha Yuan...not sure though.
TheAnalogSource

Re: Pictures, Videos, etc.

Postby jadis » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:43 am

that's good to know, that west ave ha yuan was really good. i only tried the downtown ha yuan once in my life and that was ages ago i don't even recall. nols, where is this branch at st. peter's church? also near west ave? and the one is greenhills square also is named ha yuan? like you, i was fond of the west ave store. i almost always pass by there with my brother when we go home from fairview/nova office to damar via west ave. parang di ako nagsawa. :lol:
jadis
Legend
Legend

Postby TheAnalogSource » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:47 am

wag mo na hanapin un sa st. peter...walang kwenta...st. peter is along timog 2nd corner from q.ave....just take the road towards roces and you'll see the ha yuan sign.

yes the one in greenhills square is also named ha yuan if im not mistaken...or maybe a derivative of it....parang classic ha yuan
TheAnalogSource

Postby TheAnalogSource » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:52 am

let me share Philip....

one hookien resto i missed is Oriental. I still remember whenever we had meryenda in the afternoon and seeing guys seeping soups or lomi...it would always give us a laugh....because for sure they all came from maha or ginza ...all freshen up, pink cheeks with their hair all well groom hahaha
TheAnalogSource

PreviousNext

Return to Jadis' Corner